hi! I'm a newbie in winsock programming and i'm french (excuse my english)
In fact i'd like to make a chat program, so i need to send and receive datas. But shall i create one socket to send and one socket to receive or Can i create a socket to send and receive data?
I don't know if the last solution is possible
I hope that you will help me
Bye!
Posted on 2001-11-18 03:32:15 by D-|HacKeR
Use one socket, sockets have two-way communication... However on the server side, you always have one socket that listens for incomming connections, which isn't used for communication. As soon as you accept a connection on that socket, you get a handle to a new socket (the client socket), which you can use to both receive and send data to that specific client. The server socket just keeps listening for more connections in the meantime.

Thomas
Posted on 2001-11-18 04:37:39 by Thomas
Thanks i'm going to try and i will tell you want happened..
Posted on 2001-11-18 07:15:41 by D-|HacKeR
It works !! thanks a lot! :)
Posted on 2001-11-18 07:22:48 by D-|HacKeR
Da Hacker, j'ai le m?me probl?me que toi.

Tu peux me contacter par mail, pour voir ton avancement STP.
Morgatte@citeweb.net

Merci
Posted on 2001-12-05 11:24:19 by Morgatte
salut!
C'est incroyable ton nom me disait qq chose: j'ai lu tes traductions des tuts
de iczlizon (si ca s'?crit comme ca). Merci beaucoup!!
J'ai pas pu ?crire plus tot car j'ai un prof de francais un peu ouf qui nous
donne trop de boulot, en plus je suis en 1?re et ca bosse dur :)

Ben pour le programme avec les socket je m'en rapelle presque plus tellement qu
e c'est lointain: en fait j'ai envie d'essayer de faire un client Irc quand
j'aurais du temps libre.En ayant l'explication de Thomas je m'?tais content? de
faire un programme permettant de chatter entre 2 ordis.

Voila , Ben ?cris moi :)
Bye!
Posted on 2001-12-15 07:48:52 by D-|HacKeR
If you keep your posts in english, everybody can benefit from them... :rolleyes:
Posted on 2001-12-15 08:20:32 by f0dder
Pourquoi? Tu ne comprends pas le Fran?ais? :D
Moi non plus, je seulement peut parler Fran?ais parce que nous l'apprendons ? l'?cole.
Posted on 2001-12-15 14:38:49 by nyook
nyook,

No, I neither understand nor speak/type French
well enough to participate in discussions in
the French language. I do enjoy learning and
helping when I can in this fine community! If
you share your discussions in English you will
probably help and be helped to a much greater
degree.

I'm listening!

farrier
:alright:
Posted on 2001-12-16 00:01:47 by farrier
Yes, that's right :tongue: but the subjet that we spoke wasn't a technical problem, so we have prefer talking in French, 'cause it's more easy for us and any problems could be resolved.

Do you want D|Hacker traduce you his text ???? :grin:

You know, It is VERY difficult for French guys because think that, Win32API is ONLY and ALREADY in English. We must read technicals informations in another language then our.

When we found a interesting snipet code , comments are ALREADY in english.

We have only 2 books about asm in France, into we can only found the explanations about mnemonics.

So, you know now why lots of Frenchs think about America, you think to be center of univers and others don't exist for you.

But if you prefer we speak english, we'll do it.:alright:
I undertand why, and that'quit usual.

(without grudge ;) )
Posted on 2001-12-16 04:31:03 by Morgatte

I neither understand nor speak/type French
well enough to participate in discussions in
the French language.

Me too :), this was just a joke.
Posted on 2001-12-16 04:40:34 by nyook
With my 4 acedemic years of spanish (equivelent to a 2year old), I'm able to get a general idea as to what D-|HacKeR (is that english slang?) and Morgatte are discussing.
Posted on 2001-12-16 05:41:13 by eet_1024
Morgatte,

lots of Frenchs think about America, you
think to be center of univers and others don't exist for you.

I hope that is not how I presented myself. If it
was, I apologize. I was responding to my own
translation of the Pourquoi? comment by nyook.

Some of my favorite Formula One drivers have been
French! (Also artists, actors, musicians, art,
film, music, food, etc.) Look at the location for
the members here, I haven't counted but the U.S.
is probably not the majority of users and
certainly not the majority of posts. But the
language of choice is English.

This thread is one I was trying to learn from and
all of a sudden the language changed, and I got
lost.

farrier
Posted on 2001-12-17 00:51:43 by farrier
I just want to inform Morgatte about smth who is a bit stupid:

A know guys who wanted to translate all Iczlizon's tuts in French
So they began to work on this, and when 10 docs where finished they discovered that morgatte has already translated the docs!!!!
They're stupid aren't they????

Bye!
Posted on 2001-12-21 11:00:35 by D-|HacKeR
Aren't they a bit stupid to translate the tutorials in the first place? ;).
Posted on 2001-12-26 12:44:02 by f0dder
No f0dder, they are not stupid at all. Many newbies (including myself) get very angry when they encounter some strange English buzzword or a sentence that can't be directly translated in their mother language; i.e. when they have to THINK in English. Since most of the newbies are very young and they don't know this pathetic language enough to understand the blabberings of that motherfu***r who wrote those tutorials, this is a very often problem. When you read the tutorial in your mother language you are much more eager to read the next one, and the next one, and so on. You can see that someone has done a great job in order to make that topic more clear to you. The least thing you can do is to read it. :) And finally, you can ask him for help almost immediately. without using the dictionary every time you post a message in this forum.
One day, I will translate all Iczelion's and other tuts in Croatian and try to form a Croatain win32asm scene. :grin: That may be in a year or so, when I'm no longer a newbie. Wish me luck!
Spreading the knowledge around the world. :grin:
Posted on 2001-12-26 19:45:18 by Ivan Stambuk
Well, the reason I believe it's stupid... you have to learn english
at one occasion or another. If you're forced to learn it early, you'll
have an easier time. It's a wellknown fact that your ability to learn
decreases dramatically with age. What is needed is not native language
versions of tutorials, but tutorials written in clear simple terms,
explaining any "really fancy" expressions that the target audience
most likely will not know, while not explaining all the petty little details
you're supposed to know. This is a hard job, and I think Iczelion
has done it very decently - keep in mind that he isn't a native
english speaker...

And as for creating a Croatian, French, German, <whatever> scene...
this is bad. It will fragment people, instead of gathering as much
knowledge as possible in one place.
Posted on 2001-12-26 20:09:21 by f0dder
Well, the reason I believe it's stupid... you have to learn english at one occasion or another. If you're forced to learn it early, you'll have an easier time.

Most of the newbies are still learning english at school and there are are much more efficient ways of learning a foreign language.

It's a wellknown fact that your ability to learn decreases dramatically with age.

No it isn't.

What is needed is not native language versions of tutorials, but tutorials written in clear simple terms, explaining any "really fancy" expressions that the target audience most likely will not know, while not explaining all the petty little details you're supposed to know.

I don't think that one can learn English from "clear simple terms" and when he encounters a "really fancy" expression it would be much better for him to know the exact meaning in his mother language. Or else he would have to use those "really fancy" expressions in his everyday discussions with fellow programmers in his mother language. Hopefully, this isn't happening in Croatian, but German is for example full of English non-appropriate-translatable words. It's disgusting.

This is a hard job, and I think Iczelion has done it very decently - keep in mind that he isn't a native english speaker...

I know it is, but keep in mind that I'm native Croatian speaker. :grin:

And as for creating a Croatian, French, German, <whatever> scene... this is bad. It will fragment people, instead of gathering as much knowledge as possible in one place.

That's crap. It would make knowledge more accesible. As the old Latins would say: Varietas delectat. :)
Posted on 2001-12-26 21:13:05 by Ivan Stambuk
Hey guys, i think you are getting off topic. Have you seen the name of the thread? ;)
Posted on 2001-12-26 21:32:49 by CodeLover
@ Ivan

I don't think that one can learn English from "clear simple terms" and when he encounters a "really fancy" expression it would be much better for him to know the exact meaning in his mother language. Or else he would have to use those "really fancy" expressions in his everyday discussions with fellow programmers in his mother language. Hopefully, this isn't happening in Croatian, but German is for example full of English non-appropriate-translatable words. It's disgusting.

well...it's all a matter of taste from my point of view.
besides chinese, english is THE language, it is understood by most people on the net and it's grammatically easy compared to german for example.

personally, my "boss" tends to "germanize" common english computer-terms (which i learned at the age of 10 without any problems:rolleyes: - a byte is a byte, what else should it be called?)

using only your "native language" restricts you and shortens sight.
i would never have the idea of translating those tuts, they are really well written and i understand everything.
if someone asked me to translate them, i would tell him to learn english.

how far would you come in the web if you only knew croatian? or only german?
you wouldn't be here, i guess:grin:
Posted on 2001-12-27 07:17:10 by sys64738