Well, I've been experimenting lately with a Delphi Direct-like feature for my own project. Since I had to reformat my machine (I am a MSDN Universal Subscriber and tried to install Visio 2002 from the latest shipment of CD's and didn't realize it required activation, so I opted out because I have a different drive for that -- I use removables -- and it locked me out of my whole system so I reformatted)... I gave up on RadASM it's too difficult to locate all the up-to-date files if you have to start over again.

Therefore, I created this, to keep people informed. I have a test website that I use for non-official purposes and it holds some files relevant for this. Here's what you do.

Download This File and then place it in the \Addins folder.

Modify your RadASM.INI. In the section, add a number, and then make it equal

&RadASM Direct,T,C:\RadASM\AddIns\RadASM Direct.exe

Save and start the IDE. Then choose "RadASM Direct" and you'll get some direct news. I'll maintain the file for a while until I can provide a tool for KetIO if he wants, otherwise I'll maintain as I can.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-12-11 04:48:28 by _Shawn
Updated, if you downloaded, please download again...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-12-11 17:57:38 by _Shawn
Wow, it seems that many people have downloaded the module. Any suggestions for improvement or comments?

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-12-12 18:11:13 by _Shawn
Shawn,

I was looking for something like that because KetilO has no website and it's always a pain to browse every forum section to find the latest plugins or update.
So, it's very useful to me, as well as for many other people.

I would suggest you to sort the news chronologically from the latest to the oldest, in order to have the latests versions on the top of the page and see immediately if a new version has been released.

You didn't write it in assembly, did you ?
If not, i suggest you to take a look to Xtreme's COM web control.
It has a very good example to view webpage from another proggy. This won't be harder to write it in asm and this will decrease the exe size tremendously...

Keep up the good work !

Kind regards,
Posted on 2001-12-13 03:19:51 by JCP
I started with a tree control but it started becoming a pain to parse the nodes and detect what to do when selected and making sure it's always up-to-date and so on so I switched to a web browser control.

The page the you view is actually a web page, and the program itself houses a small web client. So I just have to update the web page and the content is reflected.

There are other features that will make it incredibly more than what it is so it would take too long in assembly. In Delphi, I can do it in quick time.

However, I'll will optimize it into assembly later. It would make for a good sample program.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-12-13 06:10:55 by _Shawn
_Shawn - RadASM Direct works great, THANKS!
Next to the best thing since KetilO doesn't have time to keep up a website.

I'll look forward to you posting the asm version one of these days!
Posted on 2001-12-13 07:07:42 by gscundiff
Hi _Shawn

I would love to test this, but I cant download. Can you post the zip?

KetilO
Posted on 2001-12-27 18:33:05 by KetilO
Hi _Shawn

Finaly managed to DL. The addin is great. Waiting for your tool so I can update by myself.:alright:

KetilO
Posted on 2001-12-31 01:28:23 by KetilO
KetiIO,

If you need to update, send me the information and I'll update immediately for now.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2001-12-31 16:38:09 by _Shawn
Hi _Shawn, Thanks

I will email you the next version soon.

KetilO
Posted on 2002-01-01 14:07:08 by KetilO
For those who downloaded and use the DirectNews applet, continue to do so because it will provide up-to-date info on the application. I intend to make the applet robust enough to allow other IDE coders to have a channel for their IDE, also... that way, we can keep up-to-date with all the win32assembly related news from one location.

I've been unemployed since November 8, so I'm a little occupied looking for a job right now but I'm still maintaining it, and will post all information when it's available... immediately... so that it's next to real-time

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-01-02 01:55:29 by _Shawn
Why not a PHP/mySQL website where people put infos about their IDE developpement by sections ?
Contributors could have an access to an input form to add informations and news about their projects...

If you are looking for a free php/mysql hoster, i can provide one.

This is just an idea...
Posted on 2002-01-04 14:36:03 by JCP
RadioSys,

Actually, I am thinking of the PHP/MySQL, I already pay to host a site that it uses, in fact, it's the same people who host this board. I just need to get around to doing it... really soon I'll havea an update... if anything, I need help designing the PHP script and so on since I haven't done PHP and although I'm capable, I have other projects I'm working on. I'm also looking for a job because I was laid off two months ago...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-01-05 01:07:27 by _Shawn
Just a reminder for those who use the RadASM Direct AddIn, the content has been massively updated and the format of the information has changed a bit...

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-01-06 16:05:07 by _Shawn
Shawn,

I didn't coded in php and mySQL yet but i'm thinking starting it.
I have a good friend that can help me, so it will be very quick to get used to it, I think.

I have not much spare time too (especially because this ?uro thing... my office is really messed up with that), but if you need help, I think I can look a bit.

Anyway, DirectAddin news format is very simple, and a simple news interface and display should be a good start in php/mySQL coding.

Regards,
Posted on 2002-01-06 17:47:28 by JCP
Lets make a change for the Addin settings. Currently that path is hard coded but it may not be the same for everyone, in the radasm.ini file, change this

6=&RadASM Direct,0,T,C:\RadASM\Addins\RadASM Direct.exe

to

6=&RadASM Direct,0,T,$D\RadASM Direct.exe

This way, whatever the path settings are for the configuration will take effect for the Addin, as well.

Thanks,
_Shawn
Posted on 2002-01-06 19:15:16 by _Shawn
Shawn,

I played a bit with PHP and mySQL yesterday... pretty useful thing.
If you want me to do the news interface (news display for visitors, and news input for contributors), please tell me.

Regards,
Posted on 2002-01-10 03:13:48 by JCP