I need to know to get in a 320*240 resolution without using DirectX. Any ideas? Please reply via email!!! Thanks in advance, MainForze Hiro says: I'm very tempted to delete the contents of this message since it is impolite towards the other members of the messageboard: you don't go on a messageboard and ask people to e-mail you the answer. You should at least take the effort and have the courtesy to read peoples' replies. (so that others can profit from them as well) :mad: -H- :mad: This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 1/25/2001 7:54:23 PM
Posted on 2001-01-25 19:05:00 by MainForze
CreateWindowEx,WS_EXTOPMOST,name,name,WS_POPUP,0,0,,,,NULL,NULL,hInstance,NULL oh yes and wc.style,CS_HREDRAW|CS_VREDRAW then initialize a DirectDraw Object and use its' SetDisplayMode(SCREEN_WIDTH,SCREEN_HEIGHT,COLOR_DEPTH) I don't know a way without Direct X, sorry This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 1/25/2001 7:55:45 PM
Posted on 2001-01-25 19:48:00 by Hiroshimator
The only way to accomplish such a task is quite risky, unless you know a great deal more than I do about Windows (which is not too hard). You would have to find and load the graphics driver or VxD as a dynamic VxD, which may not even be possible. Most hardware drivers are written as static not dynamic VxDs. However, assuming you can in fact load the VxD dynamically, you'd have to somehow probe (or know) the routines within the VxD, and call the one that changes the screen resolution. However, since I've never attempted such a feat, it could just as easily crash Windows in less than a second. But, I'm guessing that's how DirectX does it, because most of DirectX is DLLs anyway...which are Ring3. It has to interface with a VxD somehow! I hope this is useful to you...
Posted on 2001-01-25 20:48:00 by Racso
Hi I am doing a RTS game ... so belive me: YOU have to use DIRECTX...its easyer :) Do yourself a favour and start learn/use it! After a medium complicated setup you will get direct access to video memory of the video card ... via the Lock() function....this will make games programming allmost as easy as in DOS mode 13h Bogdan
Posted on 2001-01-27 11:32:00 by BogdanOntanu
This topic has been posted before. You should look down the list of previous posts and read the last set of replies. The basic conclusion of the replies was, use DirectX, it's not hard, start here: http://www.gamedev.net/reference/programming/features/win32asm1/ This is a 6 part series (Supposed to be 7 or 8 part series, but the author hasn't finished it) about programming games in MASM, it starts from the basic showing a black window fullscreen waiting for the escape key to exit, and moves up to where your animating, playing sounds and getting input using DirectInput rather then windows messages (Allows simultaneous key presses and multi-lingual keyboards). Go that link! Good luck. See ya, Ben
Posted on 2001-01-27 14:52:00 by cyberben