Hi, I try to write small utility to delete history folder(I know there is lot on internet already but I maybe make one more:)) Problem is folder called 'today' is really called 'history.ie5' and in it is hidden file called index.dat. This file named seems to live everywhere on computer and cannot be deleted and therefore directory 'history.ie5' not be removed. I find some infos and peoples say only can be deleted from dos then windows recreate empty file. I would like to delete from windows. Is enybody know if can be done? Maybe unmap memory or something then delete? any info or where to find info or examples much appreciated. best regards, czDrillard
Posted on 2000-11-23 01:15:00 by czDrillard
Its cos windows holds access to the file, hence re-start in DOS windows not loaded, can't be using the file! However, have you tried opening it (say in notepad) and then deleting everything, then saveing it? If you can do this then create a program that does the same! Its all down to how IE opens it (SHARED or not). I haven't tried myself cos I'm at work, but I'll try it tonight just to check. Mirno
Posted on 2000-11-23 05:29:00 by Mirno
Thanx Mirno for your answer. I tried exactly as you said and saved file with zero bytes. Worked good now index.dat empty. Only problem now is still cant remove directory because its still got one file. I have to be able to delete index.dat somehow? Any suggestions much appreciated. best regards, czDrillard
Posted on 2000-11-23 23:05:00 by czDrillard
You won't be able to delete the directory as index.dat will still be in use (except through dos), all you can do is recreate what IE would do if you had... So zero index.dat, then (recursively?) delete all other files in the directory. It will give you the same effect as restarting in DOS, deltree-ing the directory and restarting back to windows! I don't think there is any other way. Sorry :( Mirno
Posted on 2000-11-24 05:22:00 by Mirno
Thanx Mirno.
Posted on 2000-11-24 09:43:00 by czDrillard