Why should we use the registery??????????
Posted on 2000-12-18 04:10:00 by prash
Why? Because MS told you too! It depends on how you view you user. If you think he's a dumb clod, use the registry so he can't find (or delete) your settings. If you think he's trustworthy and will leave it alone, an .ini file is fine. Personally, I prefer .ini's, but use the registry to make myself look up to date. I have no idea which is better from a performance standpoint, I would hope the registry is a fast database, but I never saw MS overly concerned with speed.
Posted on 2000-12-18 04:35:00 by Ernie
well, using registry looks cleaner that' s all. you don't have to make a ini file whatever. i think that's all, it looks cleaner. but don't use it to store large files, only some options the user choose.
Posted on 2000-12-18 12:58:00 by roy
People want self contained files and executables now-a-days. That is one of the reasons I program in assembler. People want to download a program from your website and have it work right of the bat without unzipping or placing, other Dll's, runtimes, ocx's, or ini files! Using the registry with a set of default values makes it clean to the user. See ya, Ben
Posted on 2000-12-19 01:07:00 by cyberben
Hello, There is just a problem I think: when you uninstall a program, usually, some entries stay in the Registry so it takes places and it can also slow the system because The file system.dat =the registry file, also with user.dat) is big. So you must have a look in the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Software key and HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software key and you will see that there are some entries of deleted programs. Besides when the registry file size is bigger than 6Mb (It is maybe 5Mb or 7Mb I don't remember), the system says to you to clean the Registry. But I think it's the only way to put settings of progs. For example, I've made a prog, and I use the Registry to put the settings.(available on the Icz'Site) Vom-bonjour:-()
Posted on 2000-12-19 11:36:00 by Vom-bonjour:-()
Technically your install programs should remove ALL and ANY entries that you put in the registry! Otherwise your setup program is not totally compliant with windows... - Ben
Posted on 2000-12-19 23:02:00 by cyberben
There are two benefits I know of as far as the registry (correct me if the second benefit is wrong) 1. You have a centralized database. I think it's nice that thanks to the registry, we don't have as many programs cluttering up our systems with various INI files. 2. Win32 has a faster method for searching the registry than it does for INI files. With INI files, Windows will scan from top to bottom in a linear fashion. Registry searches use some other scanning method. ---------------------------- Team2k PC development team: http://ppilot.homepage.com
Posted on 2000-12-20 02:59:00 by Al Leitch
The registry sucks, plain and simple. All the other operating systems work just fine without a registry. The registry is the source of lots of problems for many windows users. Problems that never would have existed if every windows program have had a private configuration file. And not to mention the registry API is crap. You have to split a registry path into 3 pieces. Why oh why did they not make it as easy as opening a file = one path. .ini files rules, but NEVER place them in a different directory than the .exe Deleting a program should be as simple as deleting the folder it is in. so prash.. you should not use the registry, that is my opinion.
Posted on 2000-12-20 12:53:00 by Zynaps