What is the easiest way to set the screen resolution to 800x600 pixels (24 bit color attribute)?
Posted on 2001-02-07 15:48:00 by NoKe
Do you want to do this for a fullscreen game? Then use DirectX, look down some of the previous postings, I have posted, posted and reposted about games and DirectX. If you want to write some sort of windows configuration app, there are API calls for it, but they usually require restarting the system, or if no restarting is necessary sometimes it causes problems with things like games quiting unproperly (The screen won't go back) So go with DirectX for anything multimedia. CHECK PREVIOUS POSTINGS FOR GAMING STUFF! Or wait until we until Hiro gives us our gaming forum! ;P See ya, Ben
Posted on 2001-02-08 01:59:00 by cyberben
First of all, thanks for the reply, and then: No, I actually don't need it for games. I have a simple film (for instance an AVI) and it has the size of 800x600, so I need to be sure that the screen resolution is set to that dimensions, so I can play it at full size. I need to check the current resolution and, if necessary, change it to 800x600. That's all. Does anybody know the API's to do that?
Posted on 2001-02-09 13:43:00 by NoKe
If you goto http://scalper.cjb.net/ you'll get some sources for using OpenGL in assembly, they use apis to set the resolution. If you need an explanation of the api's then goto nehe.gamedev.net There you'll find Visual C versions of the same sources together with a detailed explanation of whats happening.
Posted on 2001-02-09 18:23:00 by Zadkiel