hi.. I need a help file for my new program.. What's involved? I mean is there a software.. ? While I'm on it.. once i have the .hlp ready.. what do i need to do to bring it up from my program? Thanks a lot
Posted on 2000-12-28 21:28:00 by your mama
MS has a decent freebie download for a help complier for html help files. Sorry, I don't have a link but should be in MSDN downloads. I invoked this helpfile with a simple: .data szOperation BYTE "open",0 szFile BYTE "Timer.chm",0 .code invoke ShellExecute, hWnd, ADDR szOperation, ADDR szFile, NULL, NULL, SW_SHOWDEFAULT
Posted on 2000-12-28 23:12:00 by Ernie
Thanks, for the info.. but first: i don't want to use an html based help.. just the old-fashioned thing.. second: does any of you know if MS Visual C 6 suite includes a tool for making help files? thanks.. I hople someone answers this..
Posted on 2000-12-29 19:45:00 by your mama
You can use WordEdit on Iczelion's web page to build and compile help files for windows, but wait untill he post the updated version, which should be any day. Ewayne
Posted on 2000-12-30 01:51:00 by Ewayne
Or I could send it to you. Ewayne
Posted on 2000-12-30 02:03:00 by Ewayne
Visual Studio 6 contains the program "Help Workshop", which is what you're looking for. It's under "Start/Programs/Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0/Microsoft Visual Studio 6.0 Tools/". This proggie is also in Visual Studio 5, but may be older version.
Posted on 2000-12-30 07:38:00 by Qweerdy
You can find and download free a great & complete tutor about creating help files "Old Fashion" in Test Department pages
Posted on 2000-12-30 19:36:00 by a.nada
thanks to you all.. especially, Qweerdy :)
Posted on 2000-12-30 21:24:00 by your mama
Try www.helpmaster.com. It is a site devoted to creating help files.
Posted on 2000-12-30 21:40:00 by Vesper
If you own a version of M$ Word for Windows that saves in RTF format, making WINHELP help files is reasonably straight forward. I use an ancient version from 1992 because it is reliable and fast and it saves RTF with no problems. My version and some of the later versions have a dialect of basic called WordBasic that allows you to write your own macros that more ore less automate a lot of the notation for help files. The most economical format is to use the older HPJ project files which are easy enough to do and you end up with a single compiled help file with no other attachments. The Help Workshop is a free download from M$ and it is an easy program to use, it was designed for non-programmers to use so its not all that technical to use. It is worth getting SHED.EXE from the SDK to make segmented hypergraphic images that you can set a link to text from, this stuff is old tech but its small and fast and if its done right, the results look good. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2000-12-31 02:10:00 by hutch--
I'm not trying to push the program, but with WordEdit on Iczelion's wep page you can create your basic RTF help file and then with the HelpGen feature of WordEdit you can add the HCW codes (jumps, topics, boxes, bitmaps, etc.), when your done with that step the program will create the .hpj file that is used as the control file for the Help WorkShop's hcw.exe and then from the program you can compile your help file. You will need to have Microsoft's Help Workshop hcw.exe. With the updated version of WordEdit (that Iczelion hasn't posted yet) you can save the RTF help file with out losing any of the HCW codes just like MS Word. A lot of editors that support the RTF format will not preserve the HCW codes when saving. The package comes with sample help file projects and a extensive help file and source code. To me it's a lot easer and faster then any of the help file generator programs I've tried. If anyone would like to try it before Iczelion post the updated version I will send it to you. Ewayne
Posted on 2000-12-31 17:32:00 by Ewayne