A list of INT 21h functions are shown here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/psdk/win95/95func_0wkz.htm Are these functions supported by Win NT 4.0 and Win 2000? Should I use INT functions instead of their API alternatives? For example, should I use INT 21h function 714Eh or the FindFirstFile function? Is there a complete list of interrupts and functions on the Web? Thank you in advance!!! Xtreme
Posted on 2001-01-10 08:49:00 by xtreme
If your programming an application under windows (NT or 9x or 2000 etc), you actualy 'cannot' use Interupt functions, they are protected and cause an exception, and so, dont work. You can't hook interupts either (Under 9x it is possible but is only used by people wanting to get into Ring0 without a Vxd. i.e virus programers). API's are designed for use for applications in Ring3, they must obviously end up in the same place, FindFirstFile calls its Ring0 equlivent and returns the results. An API will also generaly perform some extra processing to make things easier for the programer, such as getting the file attributes and time etc. This is a big change between Dos and Windows programming, but if programing an app, you have to use API's, if programming a Vxd, you have to use Interupts, neither has acess to each other without special considerations.
Posted on 2001-01-11 01:19:00 by manimal