I'm currently thinking about opening an "under the hood" section where we examine the inner workings of Windows itself (or interesting applications). I wonder if this kind of info is illegal. I'll put the full disassembly of the target on the site with comments/flowcharts etc. The users will be able to choose the functions they want to view/comment and input their interpretation/comments directly.
Posted on 2001-01-12 23:46:00 by Iczelion
Ummm.... I believe in the US (assuming that is where you are) you are allowed to disassembler for the point of learning how it works. But you may not disassembler in order to re-assemble and resell the product later. So so long as we don't take ANY code AT ALL out of windows into our programs I believe it is legal. I'm trying to remember who's site had all this info on it... but I can't. If your in a thirdworld country, they will never be able to touch you anyway (Unless your government accepts bribes from microsoft... he, he, he...) I believe it's fine for learning purposes. - Ben
Posted on 2001-01-12 23:57:00 by cyberben
I've seen books published that do this sort of thing. I think if the intents are to better understand how it works, is okay as opposed to trying to reverse engineer it for making a competing product, wouldn't be okay. Also, the U.S. has laws about reverse engineering. In Europe, the law permits you to do so, hence it's not illegal there. Where in Europe??? I think the U.K. specifically, but can't be sure. On the other flip of the coin, if you dissassemble the entire kernel, I think they'd get a bit suspicious -- as opposed to a handfull of api's. And to what details you detail them, also would be curious. I think if you documented the inner workings of the Kernel32 (specially the Win2k one) with flowcharts, user comments, notes, examples, and source, it would get their attention and I don't think they'd like it -- cause it's too close to revealing their trade secrets. Where to find such laws, I don't know where to look. Most of the legal sites require you pay fees to view. -- Shawn
Posted on 2001-01-12 23:59:00 by _Shawn
It would get MS attention? Then I think we should do it. Not only that but maybe we should send bug reports to Redmond with corrected code! Its high time the "playing field" gets leveled and this idea is a perfect way to do so... If you need any help Iczelion, you can count on me! Xtreme
Posted on 2001-01-13 00:10:00 by xtreme
cyberben: No, I am not a resident of the *civilized* world: I live in a third world,developing, country. So far, I don't see such law in my country. However, I don't want to risk being an illegal: my site and its mirrors are on US servers. Shawn: I haven't studied the whole kernel (yet). Some ppl do but they don't distribute the disassembly with comments. Our intention would be the better understanding of the OS (that's the bright side) but inevitably, we will get close to their trade secrets. I intend to disassemble particularly interesting functions and comment them *fully* as best as my current knowledge allows. Of course, I don't think I'm the best person to do this: I believe there are lots of ppl who are better at this job but this may well be the beginning of the quest for enlightenment in the dark world of Windows. ;)
Posted on 2001-01-13 00:14:00 by Iczelion
I think it would be a good thing..considering that an half of us are virus coder, i think they will appreciate. About the legality of your infos, i'm pretty sure it's legal(t least in europe): " Reverse engineering a program you have legitimately bought and studying or modifying its code is perfectly LEGAL, at least in the European Union, as long as * You do it only for your personal use or for "educational purposes" (i.e. study) * You do not use big chunks of the code for applications you SELL " You can find a lot of infos at http://www.woodmann.com/fravia/legal.htm it's about european laws but it might help..
Posted on 2001-01-13 15:04:00 by