Can I start process on the remote computer which will use resources of the remote computer but will return results to the local machine - something like pipe between two machines? Thank you, Mike
Posted on 2001-01-30 09:14:00 by Mike
Distributed COM is what you need... or SOAP
Posted on 2001-01-30 09:46:00 by Hiroshimator
Gee, can COM do that too? Maybe it is worth knowing ;-)
Posted on 2001-01-30 12:01:00 by Ernie
umm well i guess it could be done with anonymous pipes and a client/server kinda thing to... i think...;)
Posted on 2001-01-30 13:10:00 by NervGaz
what else does an out of process COM server do? :P
Posted on 2001-01-30 20:40:00 by Hiroshimator
What would you like it to do? Process a database query? Compute 1000 digit prime numbers? Spit shine your shoes? Well, 2 out of 3 users are quite happy with COM. The underpinings of COM are part of the OS. This means that if the COM object you are using is not in your own process or thread boundaries (COM calls this an apartment), the OS will make an image of the object (called a proxy stub). What's incredible about this is you hit the proxy as if it was the object in your process, ie, all the remoting details get handled for you. If you have special data types, you may have to write the stubs yourself, but this is such boilerplate code you can have the interface compiler generate it for you. The point to remember is that once you learn to use simple in process objects you access remote process/network objects in the very same way, it's transparent to the client.
Posted on 2001-01-30 23:19:00 by Ernie
Good morning. I'ld also like to see a "client/server" example, using COM or any other method. Being new to the windows API, it would be nice if it were a "small" example that doesn't do anything fancy. Just the basics of starting up on each end, establish a connection, and send a "message" back and forth would be great! Any examples or volunteers (grin) out there? :)
Posted on 2001-01-31 05:44:00 by S/390
Errm, maybe I misunderstood something in here but isn't there a server/client program by drcmda on Iczelions site? I don't know if it uses COM or not and I don't care but I tried this thing (trojan) in my local network at home and it works. Is this what you were looking for or not? Stefan
Posted on 2001-01-31 07:55:00 by Stefan Krause