Does anyone know how to code an mp3 player in win32asm (or C as I could just convert it)? I understand that writing a decoder is too large a project. I thought about using Windows Media Player which I know can be used by other applications to play mp3s. I think Visual Basic does this but I wouldn't want to use that for what I have in mind. I've looked through the Microsoft developers website but the only information I can find on this is with VB and Java. If anyone has had any experience with this then I would be extremely grateful for any help!
Posted on 2001-02-09 17:23:00 by Lord Rhesus
If you just want playing ability > Multimedia Player, with sources (plays anything your computer can with MCI): (TD_Win32Asm_222): http://www.geocities.com/Paris/Cafe/8444/_index/start.htm (Playmm): http://www.rbthomas.freeserve.co.uk/ (RonFiles): http://betov.free.fr/SpAsm.html betov.
Posted on 2001-02-10 08:07:00 by Betov
Thanks for your help betov. I had downloaded Ron Thomas's example before but mp3's wouldn't play on it and I would get the error message: ;-------------- MCI Error MMSYSTEM296 The file cannot be played on the specified MCI device. The file may be corrupt, or not in the correct format. ;-------------- In one of the other examples I downloaded it said that "if windows already had registered *.mpg files in system.ini you could play mpg files, if not, it seems, you can not." I'm not sure entirely what this means! I think this is the reason why I can't play mp3 files and I would be grateful (again) if anyone could tell me how to set this up so I could.
Posted on 2001-02-10 10:25:00 by Lord Rhesus
Yes, i remember there is a problem if this have never been inititalized, but don't remember if it is in win.ini or in system.ini (i think the second one). Here are mines as there are for MCI; if you can't point out, ask Ron Thomas. He is the one of the three who solved the problem. My Win.ini says: mid=Sequencer rmi=Sequencer wav=waveaudio avi=AVIVideo mpeg=MPEGVideo mpe=MPEGVideo mpg=MPEGVideo mpa=MPEGVideo enc=MPEGVideo dat=MPEGVideo m1v=MPEGVideo mp2=MPEGVideo mov=MPEGVideo qt=MPEGVideo au=MPEGVideo snd=MPEGVideo aif=MPEGVideo aiff=MPEGVideo aifc=MPEGVideo midi=Sequencer asf=MPEGVideo2 asx=MPEGVideo2 ivf=MPEGVideo2 lsf=MPEGVideo2 lsx=MPEGVideo2 m3u=MPEGVideo mp3=MPEGVideo mpv2=MPEGVideo mp2v=MPEGVideo wax=MPEGVideo2 wvx=MPEGVideo2 wm=MPEGVideo2 wma=MPEGVideo2 wmv=MPEGVideo2 ra=MPEGVideo2 ram=MPEGVideo2 rm=MPEGVideo2 rmm=MPEGVideo2 My System.ini says: cdaudio=mcicda.drv sequencer=mciseq.drv waveaudio=mciwave.drv avivideo=mciavi.drv MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv videodisc=mcipionr.drv vcr=mcivisca.drv MPEGVideo2=mciqtz.drv cdaudio1=mcicda.drv 1 Think too of simply runing a free side player... good luck. betov.
Posted on 2001-02-10 11:44:00 by Betov
Yes!!! Thanks for your help. The problem was in the system.ini file under one of the lines said: MPEGVideo=mcivmpeg.drv where as in your system.ini file the line read: MPEGVideo=mciqtz.drv I did a search of the windows directory and the file mciqtz.drv was present in the system directory so I have no idea why it wasn't used. All I did was replace my line above with your line it everything works. I wondered why the example by Ron Thomas didn't work before. I thought that perhaps he had made a mistake but I guess not. Once again thank you very much for taking the time out to help me.
Posted on 2001-02-10 15:15:00 by Lord Rhesus