Hey guys, I've been in search of a good windows based assembler editor for months now, every time I end up with the Dos edit as being the best free solution. I've also talked to many people who are writing new assembler IDE's in vb because it's "too slow" to develope one in assembler. Well I guess I said to myself "If you want it done right, do it yourself" so last night in about 4 hours and this morning with about maybe 1 hour of work I threw together this asm ide, it's not finished, but I'd like to see what you think. Right now the features implemented include: - Syntax Highlighting - MDI interface similar to the MSVC++ IDE - Save, Save As, Open - Cut, Copy, Paste, Undo, Redo, Goto Line funtions It also has the line number in the status bar and soon will have the column number too. As you can see when you run it there are places for the output window and workspace manager. I did this mostly just to prove that it doesn't take long in asm to develope a program and because I need a new editor! Credit must be given to Iczelion for his syntax highlighting tutorial and MDI tutorial which were both a strong basis for this IDE! Check it out: http://members.home.com/cyberben/ASMIDE/ASM_IDE.zip Soon I will add the basic workspace managing and output window stuff, this way you'll never have to use a command prompt again! But for now it's just a nice editor, you'll still have to compile with nmake or batch files... Post responses! Oh yah, once I neaten up the code so it's not a disgrace to my asm programming name, I'll post the source code too. I'd like other people to add features too! See ya, Ben
Posted on 2001-02-11 13:18:00 by cyberben
no offense but I don't care for all that. I don't care for it in VB nor VC nor whatever language I encoutner. I care for RAD development and 'intellisense', things that ease the life of a programmer. The fact that I see my comments in color doesn't really help speed up nor facilitate any programming (and Istill can place tabs myself, no big deal). Just my opinion. Thumbs up for your effort however. :) :) This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 2/14/2001 7:28:21 PM
Posted on 2001-02-11 13:31:00 by Hiroshimator
Yes I see what you mean, but isn't that the point of any IDE? To speed up the developement of your applications? I find that the MDI interface and syntax highlighting do in fact make my application programming a LOT faster. I find it's easier to follow your code. The point of the output window and workspace manager is also to speed up application developement as you won't have to keep switching windows or exit out of your editor to run your build batch file. Does that not sound like Rapid Aplication Developement to you? And yes, in the future I can add a COM menu for macros and GUIDs or some templates, etc... I don't see how this could be anything but an IDE for RAD? If you've got practical suggestions as too what to add to the IDE, I'd love to here it! Cause those are the things I'll add, I'm just getting kind of bored at following all those links to all those IDE's on Iczelions site (and others I've found before) and not one of them has a working version released that would actually be better than the Command Prompt and Edit. So tell me what you want that you think would make it more RAD oriented! Thanks, Ben
Posted on 2001-02-11 13:56:00 by cyberben
I think ASM open source is the way to go for a RAD IDE for asm programmers. I've gotten comfortable with syntax highlighting and 'intellisense' - they both help be tremendously when using editors that support it. I also use lots of documentation when programming. I've have all kinds of help files listed in the QEditor help menu. Syntax highlighting really helps if you comment out code! A project browser would be great too. I'm trying to think more modularly in my programming and keep my asm files small. It really makes them easier to digest in the future, as well as moving code to other projects. That's a great start for such a period of time! Take care, bitRAKE.
Posted on 2001-02-11 16:32:00 by bitRAKE
hi well done Ben :) but i use PFE (Programmers File Editor) to do my big rts game, it has all things you talk about: MDI windows, external execute of batch files with captured output, etc. It has no syntax coloring...but eh...its very fast on big files (and i mean BIG FILES) Things for you to add ======================= -duplicate window so you can be in one position in file A in window A and in another position in file A in window B suggestion: =========== -grab PFE and take a long look at it (can also garb Textedit, or Med but they are not free) Some things that will sure make me change to your IDE: ======================================================= -a tree list of all procedures and labeles in project (with custom options and printing) -a kinda project manager (files, sections,versions) -free sources/ or free use (must) -Hex view/editor -PE view editor -Dialog view editor those are just a few i need badly :) and dont (yet) have time to code them :(
Posted on 2001-02-11 16:40:00 by BogdanOntanu
Cyberben, I think its a good start. Im a bit more optomisitic with it as well, i cant really critisize anything however since there is no real suport yet. My suggestion is not to forget the 'I' in IDE.. I use Ultra Edit 8.0 because it has slowly molded to what i require. If i need another tool.. i add it to the tool bar and set up the paths for the tool. As of now its everything i need, but this is not to say I dont have faith in your project. The downsides im experiencing with UE is: Help is poor to none.. (hard finding info...)- My work around is this: I have added 2 tool buttons, one for a little text program (helppc21) that databases text in a cursor controlled menu system which allows me to quickly look up a topic. And 2nd, A compile button for when i add more info into my help base.. (most of it is from me spying on others help intersts on this board). If you integrate something like this into your ide, i think it would allow for more usage and ez. Also along the same lines is a dynamic code base for quickly dragging code snippets into your work.. (much like javascripted code that can be dragged into a web-page authoring tool). If i design a quick routine for say sting concatonation, (and choose not to make it into a lib etc.) i might like to be able to drag and drop it into a program and continue. Also under project managment, I would be nice to be able to easily add an html link to a web page containing info. (ie. MSDN pages on issues concerning the current project your working on..) Im trying to figure out why win95 doesn't like resorced bitmaps and im consistantly going from the web to my code and back to the web.. If i could have say 3 different pages all souced into the same project it would be ez to switch form one to the other.. and back to my code. These are a few ideas anyways. NaN
Posted on 2001-02-11 16:52:00 by NaN
Hi everybody, it's not an answer but as I'm french, I would like to know what the I, D and E mean, please ??? Thanx Vom-bonjour:-()
Posted on 2001-02-11 17:08:00 by Vom-bonjour:-()
Ben, Congratulations on a nice small IDE. I downloaded it and the size and speed are good. It tends to look like the IDE from VC so it should be familiar to most. I would like to see you finish the development on this project as many people like the IDE concept. I am out of the generation that will only use an editor and my own show a taste for austerity but if you can get enough facilities and configuration options going reliably, it will make a good alternative for people who like the IDE concept. Regards and keep up the good work. hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-02-11 17:09:00 by hutch--
Obviously a work in progress, let me confine myself to what's there (I bet you already know all this). 1) Needs a FONT selector. Also should default to a non-propotional font to begin with. 2) wheel scrolling very slow. 3) the line: ; .IF (pt.x >= -9) && (pt.x <= -3) appeared incredibly weird in a listing. 4) project capabiity seems "todo" However, file open should have more choices, such as .lst, .rc, .inc, etc. AND these should be remembered session to session. And needs multi-doc selection. 5) Needs a way to DISABLE syntax highlight for us purists I wonder if VB will be as forgiving as asm is to get the folders to 'stay open' when not selected in the project view. And your todo docking toolbar control tabs are a little large, but still intuitively obvious. And apart from #2, it actually runs acceptably fast. Keep up the good work.
Posted on 2001-02-11 18:00:00 by Ernie
IDE = Integrated Development Environment
Posted on 2001-02-11 18:23:00 by martin
This may sound a little strange, but I use Windows Explorer as my "IDE". The key is to setup View - Options - File Types. First I associate .ASM .INC .RC .LST and .MAP (and .TXT) files to call my favorite editor. It's a DOS based editor that loads in a flash, and I know it like the back of my hand. :) When I double-click any of these files, they show up in my editor. I setup a different icon for each file type to make the "large icons" view in Explorer easier to work with. .ASM source files show up as a big red A The Icon editor that I use already associates .ICO files when it's installed. So double-clicking any icon loads it into the editor. Next I added a new action to .ASM files called "Assemble for Windows". It calls the ASMWIN.BAT file that runs RC CVTRES and ML and deletes the .OBJ files when done. So now I can right-click on an .ASM file, it shows the Assemble for Windows command, which opens a DOS window, does it's thing and stays open so I can see any errors. One click on the X and it's gone. To keep things organized, and protable, I've setup an AsmWin directory. It has the various projects as subdirectories, and several "system" folders... The Command folder has all of the tools that I use. ML LINK RC CVTRES, their DLLs, my editor, the icon editor, the ASMWIN batch file, and any .HLP files that have associated .CNT .GID etc. files. This guy is in my PATH so I can get to it from anywhere. The Docs folder has shortcuts to the .HLP files in the Command folder. This keeps the .CNT and GID files out of view. It also contains various .PDF .DOC and .TXT files. And I also have HELP-PC here! Now from the AsmWin folder, I can right-click and open the Docs folder in another window for quick access to any documentation. The Library folder contains all of the .LIB and .INC files. No need to keep these in seperate directories as far as I can see. Except for WINDOWS.INC they have a 1 to 1 relationship. ML and LINK are setup in the batch file to both get stuff from here. It works for me! :)
Posted on 2001-02-11 22:33:00 by S/390
Now Thats a neat trick... - your making the 80's show Magyver look bad :D NaN
Posted on 2001-02-11 23:49:00 by NaN
Ernie: That funny line you saw in your listing was because of two sloppy pieces of code which I through together for the basis to those docking toolbar headers, obviously not fully functioning. The code was only made funcitonal for release but is obviously not complete. That line was to check whether the mouse cursor was within the rect of the close button on the edge of those drag bars, I believe that's the only two routines that I even use the pt structure in, so I'm 99.9% sure that's what that funny line was. In the finished version I will obviously have a proper docking control implemented. The wheel scrolling is set by you in your mouse settings in control panel (Or in your mouse utility) I don't control that. I will add the option to turn off syntax highlighting before the next release, that's easy to do! Font selector was my next project, however I had to do a bit of work on Iczelions syntax highlighting code for it to work right with font selection. S/390: I like the way you've done it! Congrats! However for those less than magyver types, this editor can obviously be made the default editor for those types of files. Being that it's 28kb (including icons and dialogs so far) it also loads fast. The only reason I'm starting to dislike my DOS editor is the fact that ir's not true MDI (although it can have multiple files open) so I can't easily browse multliple files at a time. I also like the syntax highlighting So I'm assuming everyone's been running this on more than just Win98se? I don't own NT or 2k so I can't test on those. I'll let you guys know when the next release is ready! Thanks for the reply's they help me in the developement of the ASM IDE! See ya, Ben
Posted on 2001-02-12 00:25:00 by cyberben
Ben, it looks cute. I noticed a tiny GUI bug on my win2k machine. When you hide the toolbar and then show it immediately, the content of the treeview control is smudged by the left-over of the "gripper bar".
Posted on 2001-02-12 01:45:00 by Iczelion
Just wait until I get my DSL back, you're in for a treat... I've been thinking about making mine open source. But I want to get some fundamentals in there first. I'm bumping my RAD stuff to a high. I'm very accumstomed to writing it once, then again, and again, and again, until it's fine-tuned. So there may be a few revision's before it's actually the real McCoy. Until then, it looks like 2001 will be known as the year in which IDE's became widely available, and the year the first "real RAD" IDE was made. It seems everyone is making a RAD IDE for ASM these days... much like myself, nothing is delivered as of yet. In 99-2000 many started but only dissapated like a fart in the wind. I want to make it open, but I somehow feel that I'm the only one who will keep the fire going. So many of the features I'm incorporating, I've yet to see anyone else come up with (there are many many more that aren't listed publicly and few I've yet to discuss). Nonetheless, I'm glad other options are becoming available. Assembly needs it. _Shawn
Posted on 2001-02-12 17:15:00 by _Shawn
Shawn, can't you upload it with your dialup? Is it too big for that?
Posted on 2001-02-12 20:04:00 by Iczelion
Shawn: Yah if it takes an ADSL acount to be able to transfer your IDE than you've just tossed out the idea of fast... which many people really want! I'll have my web page up soon outlining what I'd like to see this become. Maybe I'll email Iczelion to put it on his ASM IDE links on his front page. See ya, Ben
Posted on 2001-02-12 20:28:00 by cyberben
Hey shawn, I hate to break it to you, but i haven't dissipated like a fart in the wind, i've been with mine for 2 years :) People have seen mine and used it, i've gotten lots of positive feedback, so mine isn't dead, and for features, asmstudio is loaded.
Posted on 2001-02-12 22:06:00 by Jon Richardson
Ben: Put up a web site and I'll post its url on my site. This ASM IDE craze is a good indicator of win32asm popularity. It means there are enough people coding in win32asm to warrant IDEs. The more IDEs, the merrier :) This message was edited by Iczelion, on 2/12/2001 10:54:58 PM
Posted on 2001-02-12 22:47:00 by Iczelion
I can't upload without a connection, from work only I can send email. Nonetheless, I haven't seen a single ASM IDE that has true RAD Capabilities. If CyberBen has one, great, I'd like to see. Whatever the case, my point is that without a connection, I can't upload or download.
Posted on 2001-02-13 10:52:00 by _Shawn