I noticed this rather long thread which wandered off topic, but does this mean you are trying to write an IDE? umbongo
Posted on 2001-02-22 15:42:00 by umbongo
Yes there are many Assembler IDE's in the making as I post. I'm the author of one of them. Hopefully all these IDE's will encourage the use of ASM in the creation of applications and will encourage people to understand why all of us here write in asm instead of C++ or VB or and other large language. See ya, Ben
Posted on 2001-02-22 19:27:00 by cyberben
"Do. Or do not. There is no try." Yep, even I am working on an IDE. A basic studio clone. Put the docking toolbars on hold for now (they dock OK, they don't re-size for crap). Went onto the object model to impliment the rest of the real functionality. (Object model? Yeah, object model. It's using VBScript as the macro language.) This message was edited by Ernie, on 2/23/2001 1:37:09 AM
Posted on 2001-02-23 01:32:00 by Ernie
So wouldn't it be better if we all wrote one IDE? umbongo (Volunteering his services)
Posted on 2001-02-23 07:47:00 by umbongo
All working on one thing would me we all shared a group vision for the project. Someone to volunteer to lead it. People to smile when their code is rejected for not following a standard. Someone to write the standard. Ya know, there is something to be said for the survival of the fittest. On a serious note, we ARE all working together on this. At least, those of us who publish our results when we work out something new. Much of the code in my project explorer started as an Iczelion tut. If you wanted to add scripting to your own IDE, there's my tut on that. (And oh my, didn't Xtreme make some pretty menus?) This message was edited by Ernie, on 2/23/2001 11:54:11 AM
Posted on 2001-02-23 10:15:00 by Ernie
Well, the reason I started to code my own IDE for ASM (VASM) was simply because I have been spoiled by the Borland Delphi IDE which I'm using professionally for several years now. I'm a beginner when it comes to ASM for Windows. I want to learn more about assembly. I want more control. I've always loved the speed of assembly. When I looked around the web and tried ALL of the existing IDE's, I was very disappointed that a powerful language such as assembly does not have a first-class IDE. By first class I mean "99% bug-free", "99% bug-free", "99% bug-free", easy-to-use, powerful, a two-way IDE that allows assembly programmers to NEVER loose control and that's including any visual parts (like Delphi). In short, an IDE that actually helps programmers to get the job done and being able to concentrate on the tasks at hand and not being limited by the IDE. This is no easy task. I've been programming in VB since the DOS days (VB for DOS anyone remember that one?, BASIC PDS, QuickBasic, Turbo Pascal, some 16-bit assembler back in the 80's, C/C++ a little, and Delphi since 1995. Out of all IDE's I have used, the Delphi IDE is a great and proven two-way IDE model. Well, ultimately, I'd like to use my IDE to accomplish any tasks in assembly without any limitations. That's my goal. Hope others can enjoy it as well. Thomas Jaeger
Posted on 2001-02-23 13:27:00 by rainbird
Thomas, just checked out the IDE, one of the best ive seen. Two quick questions about... 1. How long have you been working on it. 2. How long do you think it will take you to make a fully functioning version?
Posted on 2001-02-23 17:55:00 by HeroInc
Thanks. Let me know what you would like or dislike or any other feedback. I started back in December. That's when I looked at every IDE for ASM I could find. Then, I did some research about the visual portions of creating a visual designer (.RC script files, binary resource file format, resource compilers, the possibility of creating my own resource compiler one day, etc.) This was important, as the visual portion should be a two-way street for assembly meaning that creating or modifying the assembly code should automatically update the visual portions. I did some more resource all the time but overall, about 2 1/2 months now in my free time. I think I can release a version 1.0 around summer time. This means that one will have to use external resource compilers, no-built in debugger, yet, etc. One of the most important items is the Project Manager, which I'm still working on. This project manager basically will be the "boss" for all assembly projects, small or large. All the items I mentioned and future ideas I have, will not affect your assembly code in terms of size, speed, etc. One guy was really furious and had asked my why the EXE of VASM was 1.3 MB. He had asked me if I had ever heard of VB. I did not answer his question but some may not relies that to make things easier for an end-user, more code is necessary to "help-out". That has been a fact for years, no matter what language you use. This message was edited by Thomas Jaeger, on 2/23/2001 6:18:20 PM
Posted on 2001-02-23 18:16:00 by rainbird
Well the one thing that kinda bothers me now is when you maximize the text editor, it goes over the main window with the toolbars. And im really looking forward to the resource editor, im really tired of having to use Visual C++'s editor, which isnt compatible with MASM's resource compiler.
Posted on 2001-02-23 18:58:00 by HeroInc
I'll change that so that one can have either. I know I like to see the editor only sometimes when coding. :)
Posted on 2001-02-25 11:21:00 by rainbird