This may be slightly off topic, but.... does anyone know how I could set up something like a virtual network card? Basically, so I could develop and test winsock applications without actually having a network card. I don't need a complete virtual modem, just enough to get a loop back from 127.0.0.1 I have something like this for midi ports, so an output can go straight to an input without the actual physical connection being present. All it consists of is a vxd (i think) and an inf file - and it can be installed as hardware Any ideas anyone??
Posted on 2001-02-26 11:29:00 by Tedd
The best way(?) would probably be to write some code that has the same interface as WinSock - since that is what you are going to use to create networking applications. But that seems to me like a pretty heavy task :). You might try installing a dummy NIC driver, but I don't think it will work. I think I heard something about a company who wrote a loopback driver? Not sure, though. I also think I heard that NT or win2k has a loopback device...
Posted on 2001-02-27 04:25:00 by f0dder
If you install a dial-up adapter, then find your hosts file (for NT it is in \winnt\system32\drivers\etc) Put an entry in this for anything you like, and route it back to your own machine. Just add in the IP address you want to test with, then put your PC's name in as the host, it will route it back to you without trying to use the network adapter. You should be able to fool the PC into routing any address back to you like this:- 127.0.0.1 www.yahoo.com If you then run a webserver on your machine and fire up internet explorer, typing www.yahoo.com into the address bar wil route you to your webserver. You can other tricks like this with ports using the lmhosts file. umbongo
Posted on 2001-02-27 08:08:00 by umbongo