HEllo, Is it possible to use DOS or BIOS interrupts without using Vxds. As mentioned in your tutorials How can one make TSRs (Terminate and Stay resident programs) in Windows 98. Also I would like to know if one can use the Win32 Api calls in an 8086 microprocessor. Thank you, Arun
Posted on 2001-03-04 10:03:00 by arunjohn
If you mean calling any DOS/BIOS interrupt under win32, I would say no. TSR has no meaning under Windows. Every win32 prog is a TSR in itself: ie, you can switch to it at any time, it stays in memory etc. 32-bit Windows runs under 80386 or better so your question is moot.
Posted on 2001-03-05 00:33:00 by Iczelion
I think your a little confused, Windows and Dos have completly different layouts as an operation system, and it get quite complicated when you get down to the protection & sharing schematics. But to stick it simply, there is the windows kernel, it includes all the VxDs etc. Then you have the appliation addess space, the current layout of memory in the vitual addess space depends on which current program is currently exceuting etc... So essentialy, no there is no such thing as a 'DOS' or 'BIOS' interupt under windows. In fact int instructions for a BIOS call are actualy calls to a VxD, and its the same in DOS, all ints end up in a VxD somewhere. And basicly to use them you have to either write a VxD or DOS program. Sorry.
Posted on 2001-03-05 02:15:00 by George
under windows 95 you call Call interrupt 21h. im nt really sure how its done only the coders i know refer to it as VxdCall0
Posted on 2001-03-06 09:12:00 by Cell_