hi, how to create system modal windows or dialog boxes? with system modal i mean, that first the window or dialog must be closed before you can do anything else.
Posted on 2001-03-10 14:12:00 by [SaFc0n]
I believe with DialogBoxes you can define the system modal in the resource with DS_MODALFRAME. For Windows' tho... isn't it enough to declare the hWndParent thingy? Maybe I'm wrong, maybe not... at least I tried... :) Jimmy
Posted on 2001-03-10 14:29:00 by JimmyClif
what do you mean with that "hwndparent" thingy? could you explain that a bit? and it isn't enough to declare DS_MODALFRAME in the resource. this is my template:

MyDialog DIALOG 10, 10, 205, 60
STYLE 0x0004 | DS_CENTER | WS_CAPTION |
WS_VISIBLE | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_3DLOOK | DS_SYSMODAL | WS_POPUP | WS_SYSMENU
i also tried other combinations, but nothing does work. :( cya
Posted on 2001-03-11 05:55:00 by [SaFc0n]
Hi Safcon, Sorry for pointing you in the wrong direction. Actually I thought it was easy but trying it showed me the opposite. Well, ok. There's only one way I found out how I could get a dialog modal so that no other message was processed by the main window while it was on screen. This of course is a sh*tty solution (and I'm not proud of it) I configured my dialog as DS_MODALFRAME (I think this is useless anyhow) but more importantly WS_CHILD (Side-effect: It can't leave your mainwindow) The I inserted a Flag before the Wndproc

.data
Flag byte 0
.code
WndProc proc hWin   :DWORD,
             uMsg   :DWORD,
             wParam :DWORD,
             lParam :DWORD
.while Flag!=0
return 0
.endw
.if uMsg==WM_COMMAND
	invoke CreateDialogParam,hInstance,ADDR dialog,hWin,ADDR DialogProc,NULL
.ELSEIF etc etc
WndProc endp
DialogProc proc hwnd:HWND, iMsg:DWORD, wParam:WPARAM, lParam:LPARAM
.IF iMsg==WM_INITDIALOG
	mov Flag,1
	.ELSEIF iMsg==WM_CLOSE
	mov flag,0
	invoke EndDialog,hwnd,NULL
     .ELSE
          mov eax,FALSE
          ret
     .ENDIF
          mov eax,TRUE
          ret
DialogProc endp
Well, it does what you want! For the Window getting modal??? I dunno... maybe next time I better restrict myself before posting useless answers.. Hope this helps in some kind of way... Sorry again Jimmy
Posted on 2001-03-11 07:07:00 by JimmyClif
There is no such thing as system modal in Win32. Any existing (remaining) styles or functions are provided for porting compatibility from Win16.
Posted on 2001-03-12 14:00:00 by tank
If you need a window to stay on top, ie, even if another window is enables, it is still drawn behind the 'on top window'. call SetWindowPos and set the HWND_TOPMOST flag or something in the zOrder. I also think there might be a flags to do this in dwStyleEx or dwStyle.
Posted on 2001-03-12 15:28:00 by George
Safcon, U gotta love to hear it :)

#define DS_SYSMODAL         0x02L

MyDialog DIALOG 10, 10, 205, 60
STYLE 0x0004 | DS_SYSMODAL | DS_CENTER | WS_CAPTION |
WS_VISIBLE | DS_MODALFRAME | DS_3DLOOK | DS_SYSMODAL | WS_POPUP | WS_SYSMENU
:D This message was edited by JimmyClif, on 3/13/2001 1:24:02 PM
Posted on 2001-03-13 12:23:00 by JimmyClif