Hi Wow I have got a lot of questions today :) I hope one of you can help me out with this one again. What I want to do is to write a program which reads some information out of some files and put them into an Excel Spreadsheet. What I want to know is if there is any library out there to create such excel files. If there isn't I would write some file handling routines for myself. But this would be a lot of work and I don't want to re-invent the wheel. If there is anything out there which could help me I would be glad to hear about it. thx. sign CyBerian
Posted on 2001-03-11 12:55:00 by CyBerian
Excel is an automation server app, which means you can open any excel sheet by COM methods, and access anything inside. While this is possible to do from asm, no existing header files exist to define what excel is to asm. And any speed imporvements gained by an asm controller would be minimal. VB, VBA, or some other bloatware language is actually the appropiate choice for this. However, if you still want to play in asm, you might think of hitting the excel data files directly. Wotsit's Format DOES include the excel file format.
Posted on 2001-03-11 14:07:00 by Ernie
thx for your answer. I have thought about using VB, but my problem is that it is very important for my project to be as small as possible. So I decided to code in ASM. I already found the datasheet in the wotsit archieve. I think I only have got the chance to use it and access the file directly. sign CyBerian
Posted on 2001-03-11 15:32:00 by CyBerian
The quickest solution is to write out a text file and then just import it into Excel with a small little piece of VBA! I do this all the time. Accessing the Excel files directly is not so easy, there is a Perl library that can do basic stuff. Also Ernie's scripting example could be used to write the values without having the header files. If you need help doing the first method I can help, but it pretty easy :P bitRAKE
Posted on 2001-03-11 16:19:00 by bitRAKE