Do any of you know of any online references for native OOP in TASM? All I've ever found online was Chapter 14: Programming with Objects, I'm not sure what version it was written for. But it seemed like toy-OOP, no real guts to it. I'm just curious if they improved their model. ---------------------------------- "Marge, when I join an underground cult I expect a little support from my family."
Posted on 2001-03-18 13:47:00 by Ernie
Ernie, Having paid good money for the last release version of TASM 5 (mutter) it did not appear to do any more than earlier versions so I think the URL you posted recently was the extent of OOP support that was available in TASM. Most of the required stuff apart from the code design you are working with is OS based so I think the high performance OOP you are working on is the approach to take. I doubt that you will find much of any satisfaction in yesteryear technology. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-03-18 14:03:00 by hutch--
Ernie, The book Windows Assembly Language and Systems Programming has a few chapters devoted to exactly that. It shows you have to write an object oriented Windows Dialog Class which encapsulates the messages and forwards them to Custom Child Objects et al... and then how it poly morphs and inherits and encapsulates. It's really cool... the problem is that some of it isn't as easily achieved in MASM... though, you've done a great job. Anyway, it then creates an application by creating two windows by instancing two window "objects" and a few child controls objects, and in a few lines of code, like MFC, you have a program... pretty cool... might try checking it out... if you can't get the book for some reason, I can send you the source code for those two chapters... Thanks, _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-18 17:30:00 by _Shawn
Shawn, Thanks, I have that book (paper and ebook version in fact). It's always been a source of frustration for me, as it seems to have such a high premise, yet the chapters never seem to deliver what they offer. It's a confusing mish-mash of TASM, MASM, 16 and 32 bit code you never know WHAT the guy is talking about. And I never got a single file on his disk to compile, and at the time I OWNED a licenced copy of MASM. (This was my pre-MASM32 days) The one trick I've got from his book is if the chapter name looks interesting, read the FOLLOWING chapter. That's where he put it. (Could this be the editor making a last minute chapter insert and not changing the text?) Anyway, sure, it's a nice trick to get a 9 line program to compile and run in windows, but not a very big trick. It's a useless program. Icz's tutorial #2 had more functionality. And it compiles! I also disagree with his definition of OOP, it's more then just passing a this reference and using a structure for data and function pointers. If nothing else, it ignores constructor and destructor functions. He barely scratched the surface. A better source for OOP in asm is by our good friend Randal Hyde, way back in 1990 in Doc Dobbs. If you don't have the CD, I can send you a copy (I hope Randal doesn't mind after 10 years) (if Mr Hyde DOES mind and is reading this, please tell me). -------------------------- "Homer Simpson is not the kind of man that apologizes, I'm sorry that's just the way I am." This message was edited by Ernie, on 3/19/2001 12:34:38 AM
Posted on 2001-03-18 23:33:00 by Ernie
I'll ask Randy... we communicate often on the IDE (as I'm doing the MASM part, he originally convinced me to make it support multiple syntaxes, so he can plug his HLL into it)... otherwise, on his AoA16 tutorial, in the downloads, he has lots of docs on OOP in MASM... _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-19 11:01:00 by _Shawn