BTW, Shawn Bullock is now knows as _Shawn (it's easier to type)... _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-23 10:19:00 by _Shawn
How can someone be so incredibly lazy ;) ?
Posted on 2001-03-23 11:05:00 by JimmyClif
what was wrong with "Shawn" ? _Umbongo CodeIdiot
Posted on 2001-03-23 11:58:00 by umbongo
I'll change Shawn Bullock to _Shawn if you wish
Posted on 2001-03-23 12:03:00 by Hiroshimator
Hiro, thanks, that would be great... just keep the password... (they are they same)... Thanks, _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-23 12:08:00 by _Shawn
Umbongo, Nothing is really wrong with my name... I like the Underscore because it differentiates me from all the other "Shawn"'s in the newsgroup... :D But I must ditch the lastname. I can't remain anonymous if I keep telling everyone who I am and how to find me. I got to figure that one out, I got a phone call from someone saying "Is this Shawn Bullock?" "Yes", "I don't know if this is the right person or not, but I saw your post on the newsgroup and I wanted to ask..." I stopped him and said "whoa... back up a minute, you what?" he then just hung up on me... I still don't know what the question he wanted to ask me, and if I knew the question, it might help me track down which newsgroup he was talking about. His number didn't show up on CallerID, either. I don't know how they got my phone number, but that's scary, I mean, very scary... I must make some changes. I suppose a simple search for my name in altavista would yield up my whole life's history. That's even scarier. Thanks, _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-23 12:17:00 by _Shawn
if anyone else needs a name change contact me or Iczelion. You can't do it yourself since that will get confusing really fast if we get some 'funny' guys. I speak out of experience.
Posted on 2001-03-23 12:59:00 by Hiroshimator
thats really scarey! glad I'm called umbongo :-) Umbongo
Posted on 2001-03-23 13:04:00 by umbongo
Umbongo... Yeah, you have security in your name and privacy. Perhaps I should change mine to -- umshawngo -- then no one would know my name... :D
Posted on 2001-03-23 13:16:00 by _Shawn
yeah, reminds me of the gene hackman / will smith movie 'enemy of the state'. i know this question may sound stupid but, can they really do in real life those things they did in the movie? like, use-the-grocery-store-phone-and-i-can-bomb-your-chicken-coop-wrapped-ulta-high-tech-hideout! now, THAT'S scary.
Posted on 2001-03-24 01:41:00 by pixelwise
Sh**n, I have a very simple solution, I use my phone as a net connection which means I almost NEVER answer the phone. I also put my email address on most of my stuff so that almost no-one ever emails me about any of it. Now if you get rung up again, tell them its so much a minute for technical assistance and they will hang up again. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-03-24 02:25:00 by hutch--
PixelWise: that could be possible... Russian nuke silo's aren't as disconnected from the outside world as they once were, and cold war programs were NOT deleted but are automatically reloaded on launch order (and is the targetting info). Previously, the only way to launch missiles was by direct phone from the kremlin, but I believe they've got a tcp/ip network to back up. Also, the boys in the silo's often got so bored they rewired the entire system, enabling launch without the codes... and there's hardly ever more then one vodka-drinking boy looking at those funny blinking lights :rolleyes: Info partially from Discovery Channel, partially web
Posted on 2001-03-25 00:19:00 by Qweerdy
the topic "handle" is very misleading :)
Posted on 2001-03-28 12:15:00 by skud
maybe it is misleading in the context of a Windows Handle. However, a moniker is nothing more than a handle. Therefore, in both perspectives, the message is appropriately titled. Now, if someone posted a message with the same title about Win Handles, people could get mislead and be thinking a username handle, as well. Therefore, the subject is neither right or wrong. It's just "subjective"... however, be glad I didn't call it "New hWnd" :D _Shawn This message was edited by _Shawn, on 3/28/2001 6:48:21 PM
Posted on 2001-03-28 17:47:00 by _Shawn