A little overview of num to string convertions. ---------------------------------------------- It's a big a worthy topic, but I'm not a writer so I'll just tach it. The most difficult of those convertion when radix of representing in ASCII numeric system is not power of 2. In such a case we hardly can predict before the hand number of caracters for output without complex math wich makes all alo slow. And, of course amoung all of the numeric system we need most radix 10 system or in other words the decimal numeric system. Let's name teqnics to do it: If number from 0 to 9 just add 30h (better OR 30h) ---------- If number upto 99 1. We can use BCD instructions (such as aam) 2. Or we can use some table with ASCII dec represantation and use the value being converted as an index pointer to the table ---------- If number is BIG. Well it is real task, and a lot of good brains racked trying to find NEW ways to do it. Sometime I may be show unusual teqs I invented, but for now let's say that most universal way to do it, with all different realisation is in the root the same: Devide the number by 10 and put reminders in array until the number is zero. Then reverse the array. So let's consentrate on the division part. DIV instruction is and ALWAYS BE very slow. It one itself comsume at least twice more clocks then all the rest job in algo. So the way to optimize is clear - if you find how to replace usage of DIV with faster way - then you speed up your convertion. I invented one of the way how to do it with mul instruction, you can look at the method in new SP for MASM32. Second and well known way to replace DIV instruction to use SUB. Lately I tried to optimize some of my old procs for FIXED positioning decemal convertions. For sake of learning and exchenging ideas I wrote 4 sample procs and was shocked when after testing speed for whole range of DWORD from 0 to FFFFFFFFh this procs gave 20-25% better results than already optimized procs with devision through multiplications (wich was 4 times faster than using DIV) Actually the procs can be rewritten to be used with varable output, but since there is no fixed DW2ASCII decimal proc in M32LIB I'm posting versions for fixed output.

sDw2AFixed proc num:DWORD,lpBuffer:DWORD
for signed numbers
output 11 bytes for insert in some string 11 bytes positions
example '-0000234567' 1000000000'
sDw2AFixedz proc num:DWORD,lpBuffer:DWORD
output 12 bytes in ASCIIZ the same as sDw2AFixed but insert 0 at the end
(I wrote it in case for beginners actully if you need both ASCII and
ASCIIZ versions in your programm - use just sDw2AFixed and do
 mov  upon the return from the proc)
UDw2AFixed num:DWORD,lpBuffer:DWORD
for unsigned numbers
output 10 bytes
UDw2AFixedz num:DWORD,lpBuffer:DWORD
the same as previous but insert 0 at the end - altogether 11 bytes output
(the same recommendations of usage as for 1st pare)
.model flat,stdcall
option casemap:none
.code
sDw2AFixed proc num:DWORD,lpBuffer:DWORD
 mov edx,lpBuffer
 mov eax,num
 mov byte ptr ,' ' 
 inc edx
 cmp eax,0
 jns ns
 mov byte ptr ,'-'
 neg eax
ns:
 mov cl,30h
 cmp eax,1000000000
 jb next1

@@: inc cl
    sub eax,1000000000    
    jns @B	
    dec cl
    add eax,1000000000
next1:     
    mov ,cl
    cmp eax,100000000
    mov cl,30h
    jb next2
@@: 
    inc cl
    sub eax,100000000
    jns @B
    dec cl
    add eax,100000000
next2:
    mov ,cl
    cmp eax,10000000
    mov cl,30h
    jb next3
    sub eax,10000000
    jns @B
    dec cl
    add eax,10000000
next3:
    mov ,cl
    cmp eax,1000000
    mov cl,30h
    jb next4

sub eax,1000000
    jns @B
    dec cl
    add eax,1000000

next4:
    mov ,cl
    cmp eax,100000
    mov cl,30h
    jb next5
    sub eax,100000
    jns @B
    dec cl
    add eax,100000
next5:
    mov ,cl
    cmp eax,10000
    mov cl,30h
    jb next6
    sub eax,10000
    jns @B
Posted on 2001-03-28 05:49:00 by The Svin
i once made my own dw2str conversation routine. it needs ~8 cycles per digit (w/ ten digits 80cycles in contrasts to vultures ba2big or so w/ 267 (if anyone knows this)). i did this w/ tasm in dos w/ pmode from tran because so i could read the timestamp for the cycles but it should be easy to convert this to masm. here we go--> align 32 TextNumBig db "000000000" TextNumEnd db "0","$" align 32 ;to reduce jmp-opcode size upperret: ret ;number in eax B2ABig PROC mov ecx, '0000' mov esi, o textnumend + 1 mov edx, eax ;this exchanged order brings 1 cycle (i dont why, esp with the cx!) mov dword ptr , ecx mov word ptr , cx mov dword ptr , ecx ;EAX=Temp ;EBX=Original. ;ECX="0000" ;EDX=Original/10 ;ESI=PTR to the act. position i = 0 rept 9 ;For the first 9 digits test edx, edx mov ebx, edx if $ - o upperret lt 128 ;When short jmp possible jz upperret else jz getout endif dec esi ;divide by 10 mov eax, (0FFFFFFFFH shr 1)/5+1 ;tasm doesnt do "/10" mul edx ; *10 lea eax, ;3 cycles add eax, edx ;- ;calculate difference = mod 10 sub ebx, eax db 088H, 05EH, 000H ; mov ,bl ;amd doc says w/ "+0" its faster and it is! i = i + 1 endm rr: test edx, edx jz getout dec esi add dl,"0" db 088H, 056H, 000H ; mov ,dl getout: ret ENDP B2ABig thats it and its VERY fast, i needed months to bring it to this speed but i think its impossible from now on. if anyone beats this, bring your code onto the msgboard, i really want to see this! (if anyone wants i will post/send the whole code w/ pmode and cycle counter)
Posted on 2001-03-28 08:48:00 by vineon
Vivat,Coder! Well done! It's always pleasure to see some careful coding here. As to testing - I have a humble preposition, if you care if there is possible way to it faster, make a STDCALL procedure from your algo wich will accept two parameters - pointer to string buffer to put the convertions in, and a number to convert. So that it can work with invoke. The output string must be in ASCIIZ format. Then I can write something to compare with it. I found some interesting parts in your approach, but use my own algo to get divisions and mod(10). So it will be interesting if there really is something to learn from your code. I must say - I'm not against AMD but I'm Intel Proc programmer and interested only in results with Pentium + series. Another thing to say I use VTUNE clock tables only in design stage (and not always) then I test results in numerous real eviorements and conditions. Anyway I'm glad to see you here, the more interesting coding the better. Awayting your STDCALL ASCIIZ version for further talk. Good luck with coding! The Svin.
Posted on 2001-03-28 09:40:00 by The Svin
It's possible to make your algo faster. Change exit mainloop condition to checking if it's lower than ten not zero. And after exit loop just add 30h to the reminder and place it as the formated byte. It'll save upto 10-11 clocks. The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-18 08:50:00 by The Svin