I dont always want to do it. There is alot of non-assembly code out there. Maybe I find a good c library to load bitmaps or something. If I want to use it quickly can I turn it into a lib? I'm getting mty first experiences these days working with other peoples code, but I do not know how hard it would be to turn non-assmebly code into a lib (MS-did it, didnt they?) Maybe somewhere down the line we will reinvent the wheel, but until assem takes its rightful place as the superior language, most shareware libraries will be in c,c++. Where can I get details about turning c,c++ code to useable libs with MASM? While I'm at it, is there a way to make c includes like string.h work with MASM? This message was edited by asm_happy, on 3/28/2001 6:43:12 PM
Posted on 2001-03-28 17:20:00 by asm_happy
I think, I might be wrong there is autility called h2inc, which converts them I have heard it mentioned in asm circles.. I think it ships with the DDK, which I have at work, I'll have a look for it :) Umbongo
Posted on 2001-03-28 18:02:00 by umbongo
Yup, H2INC converts C .h files to MASM .inc files. It translates declarations and prototypes. I know it's contained in the "processor pack" update for Visual C 6.0, that you can download from Microsoft, and it comes with "minimal" documentation. That download also contains an updated version of ML (MASM), ver. 6.15 The bad news is, I don't think the update will install unless you already have Visual C (or Visual Studio) on your machine... I know I've also seen ML 6.15 on some of the ASM sites. Perhaps they also have H2INC. :)
Posted on 2001-03-29 03:45:00 by S/390
After a quick 'google' I found it here :- PATCH: ML614.exe 6.14 Patch Available It's a link on that page called ML614.exe it's a 859K download, but it does contrain H2INC.EXE Umbongo
Posted on 2001-03-29 05:58:00 by umbongo
Thanks, hope I can figure out how to use it. I do have VC6 on my comp at home. Anyone know a link for the processor pack?
Posted on 2001-03-29 12:54:00 by asm_happy
You can download the processor pack for VS 6.0 here. :) This download is compatible only with Visual Studio 6.0 Service Pack 4. Future releases of the Visual C++ 6.0 Processor Pack will be integrated into and shipped with corresponding versions of the Visual Studio 6.0 Service Packs. This message was edited by rainbird, on 3/29/2001 4:29:58 PM
Posted on 2001-03-29 15:01:00 by rainbird
asm_happy, A couple of things, re-inventing the wheel is not always a bad thing, especially if its not round or turns too slowly, it is at least an option in MASM if you are not willing to use the old stuff that is around at the moment. Many of the C runtime functions could only be classed as "Ho Hum" in performance terms. MASM will work with Microsoft format libraries if you can produce the prototypes for the functions you require. You will need to find out which calling convention is used for the functions called as many will be in C calling convention. I would not hold out any great hope of converting the C++ header files from Microsoft into assembler include files for MASM with any version of H2INC. You can get the files you require from the 6.15 update by opening it in WINRAR but after testing every version of H2INC from the original 1992 MASM version upwards, they do not handle C++ format headers in most instances. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-03-29 17:07:00 by hutch--
I just reinvented the wheel... feels like I've already seen it before... :D _Shawn
Posted on 2001-03-29 21:28:00 by _Shawn
hutch-- I was mostly thinking of using this as a 'lets just see if this work real quick' kinda thing. If I had the time, I'd prefer to remake some wheels in my own code style. Now I'm worried that making h2inc c might actually be harder that coding from scratch.
Posted on 2001-03-29 23:37:00 by asm_happy