As many of you probably noticed the quality of my webhost has decreased substantially the past 2 weeks. This combined with a reluctance to answer my questions from their part has forced me to look elsewhere. On Scott Finegan's advise I took a unix account at cihost.com. It gives mysql and php and, maybe more importantly: unlimited bandwidth en 2G of diskspace (opposed to 60MB here). So right now I'd like everyone to think of what a true win32asmcommunity should bring for them. Ability to post articles, news, tutorials, files... Think, think and give feedback :) I'll be rebuilding the messageboard and will incorporate some new features (keep feedbacking there as well) so just describe your ultimate winasm gathering place. (I hope this is the last time, we have to move) This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 4/10/2001 5:58:45 PM
Posted on 2001-04-10 14:44:00 by Hiroshimator
just a couple of cents... i think posting files would be one of my top choices. the feature to see who is all browsing the message board, or to pm then would be cool. well before when i asked if you would make it so code would look different than regular typing you said it was already implemented kinda took me by surprise. i think you should make it more destinguishable somehow. like when there is a start of -code- marker set it automatically sets something in color that reads ===========CODE SECTION HAS BEGUN========== and make the font be courier or something else. also i think there should be a button so the orginal poster of a message can click on it when his question has been answered.. then it would show up next to his orginal post. the orginal poster can even have more options than that.. like setting a percentage of how much the question was actually answered or a rating system. smurf This message was edited by smurf, on 4/10/2001 3:31:56 PM This message was edited by smurf, on 4/10/2001 3:39:26 PM
Posted on 2001-04-10 15:31:00 by smurf
I think you should definately keep the message board a priority as it helps beginners as well as pros. A close second for me would be a file repository (see earier thread) that includes the Iczelion's tutorials. Keep up the great work. If you need help in anyting, please let me know. Might I suggest you check out http://www.tera-byte.com as it is an awesome and professional webhosting company.:) Fast, fast, fast. BTW, did I mention fast? If you are thinking of utilizing MySQL or Interbase and phpNuke, check out phpNuke as it supports Messages as well as file respositories ina dynamic way for the entire website. This message was edited by rainbird, on 4/10/2001 4:00:28 PM
Posted on 2001-04-10 15:52:00 by rainbird
I'm indeed also looking into things like PHPnuke any people with relevant experience on this subject please advise wether it would be good. This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 4/10/2001 4:23:20 PM
Posted on 2001-04-10 16:22:00 by Hiroshimator
I would like to see a FAQ kinda page so that people dont keep asking the same questions or definate broad catagories like we have now. PM would rock. Mabe live chat??? a font picker so that mabe you know you dont have to have the same font every time you post somthin, if i think of more ill let you know. -brad
Posted on 2001-04-10 16:30:00 by Rage9
Instead of a link to the log on page, how about just putting the boxes and button at the bottom of each page when your not loged on. and when you are, put a link to log off. And how about text links instead of pictures. And most importantly, how about being emailed when someone replys to your question. Check out this board, http://forums.vb-world.net/ , its the best ive ever seen, use it for ideas.
Posted on 2001-04-10 16:52:00 by HeroInc
Hiro, It all started with that April Fool's joke you played. Now look what happened?? It wasn't a joke, was it? ;) :D J/K _Shawn
Posted on 2001-04-10 17:13:00 by _Shawn
>>On Scott Finegan's advise I took a unix << Blame it on me! I'm just an April Fool.
Posted on 2001-04-10 17:56:00 by SFinegan
if you're going to move please don't change this board, its great the way it is. now, about the win32asmcommunity, i think we already have one: this board, icz site and alot of people who make their own wbpages and contribut for the growing of win32asm. hoppefully i'll be one of these people(when i have the time to make something usefull;)). i know what you're meaning when you say a "true win32asmcommunity", you mean a central place where everyone could post articles, tutorials, .. that would be definitly good and recomended. just do it one step at a time as you did with this board and everything will be fine(easy for me to talk hein:D). ensein
Posted on 2001-04-10 18:05:00 by ensein
it's exactly what I mean a place to post tutorials and code snippets (with revisions and all), news, maybe a newsbriefing.... projects ... whatever you can think of. Maybe member sub sites with a little bio, their files, current projects,... just think as conceptual as possible, don't think " I don't like that links' color" for now :D (well not yet ;)) whatever you can think of :) We might as well start thinking ahead right now. The site won't be for at least another month (probably more)
Posted on 2001-04-10 18:23:00 by Hiroshimator
Most of my thoughts have been said. I think the board as is, as well as the ideas presented would definitely sustain an active W32ASM community. If you wish to PROMOTE it, my idea would be to provide a side link to a monthly article. Im seeing people like THOMAS, ZADKIEL, and SVIN putting good work into execlent tutorials. If there was an option to allow members to volunteer and sustain these tutorials as a more formal web-publication, you would be more than likely able to get the 'Real' world to take notice of just what WIN32ASM is all about.. (( Case in point, yesterday I found out that GOOGLE doesnt consider MASM or TASM a 'PROGRAMMING'->'LANGUAGE', but "small talk" was there,:rolleyes:, which doesnt do it much justice )) Anywho.. just a thought... NaN
Posted on 2001-04-10 19:49:00 by NaN
Hiroshomator, Unfortunately the performance has dropped by a lot which is very noticable from this distance. It looks like the change they made with the servers a few weeks back is the culprit and if they are dicking you around, getting another server looks like the only choice. I would be careful of changing the format by much as it takes time for people to adjust to these types of changes, the additional ideas posted here may have some merit but don't kill yourself with the workload. Just be careful of putting "too many eggs in one basket, if the site was later lost, the info would be lost where by having it spread around, it will survive a lot longer. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-04-10 20:48:00 by hutch--
Glad the slow server is not your fault. I'd like a function repository. Someone wants a rand() function, well look here!! You got your standard, mmx, fpu, sse. Bitmaps! Fileloaders! We got 'em all. And you don't have to hunt through someone elses code to find it!!! Full programs are nice too, but this could be a place for someone's next best search algorithm. The small stuff, not enough for a whole program, but good to use in a program.
Posted on 2001-04-10 21:48:00 by asm_happy
Here is the short list. Content items: 1) An area with Wikis style, open topics where everyone may edit all of the content. Hint every post is still a new record in the table/database, only the latest revision is currently served to browsers. Then, when someone messes up (and they will), the moderator can recover the previous revision. 2) Disallow: You can get it "here" links. Only full descriptions.. Then... see 3) 3) Any link posted should also be put in a "links Database" automagically with date of post. It seems I am always looking for a link posted about three days before, but can't be sure of the topic, so I have to read everything again. 4) I hate cookies, sit behind a proxy and also usually have cookies turned off. As much as possible posting/editing/updating functions shouldn't be dependent on cookies as long as I am willing to type in the required information. 5) Browser neutral content. Bandwidth delivery items: 1) Offline reader . Ability to run a query that generates a gz (zip) update file based on the start date we enter. Note: many of the Windows zip apps can handle gz and tar. At the client end, an append routine updates the database. 2) Smiley.gifs range from about 97 bytes, to 3100, any chance they could all be less than 600 bytes? 3) No Cookies Cosmetic items: 1) Message text should wrap for fit on 640 x 480. 2) When I read a thread, I open a new window, it would be nice to have a reply count at the top of the page. 3) Move the Win32asm logo onto the background like a watermark (I like the one we have). 4) Cookies clutter up my HD, not to mention the crumbs in the keyboard. :D
Posted on 2001-04-10 23:31:00 by SFinegan
Hiroshimator I quite like the board the way it is. Maybe a library type up/down load area. As hutch says don't bust your guts on changes, you are already doing a grand job (along with everyone else) Keep it up. fiddler
Posted on 2001-04-11 01:10:00 by fiddler
Hiro, I think it's good how it is, I would like the system to remember me properly, If I click the 'reply' button and logon from that screen all I get when I hit 'submit reply' is "you must fill in the username" as a response, I have to go back to the main screen and logon from there... I'd only go against one comment which someone made about being able to choose the fonts for a message, I don't think it's a good idea, it's hard on the eyes to read a thread of 7 messages with 7 fonts. Umbongo This message was edited by umbongo, on 4/11/2001 4:20:50 AM
Posted on 2001-04-11 04:19:00 by umbongo
I Agree w/ Umbongo on the fonts thingy. For Cookies.. Don't stop using them, there's almost nothing which p°°ses me off more than to write my username & password everytime for every message. Printer friendly pages would be nice :) And last not least.. the search function here should automatically search the whole database.. ( I don't like the guessing which box to click ) But mostly I like it the way it is! What about a "Win32 programmers have a life too" - board where polls, private discussions and general interest would be posted? Where beta's could be announced & on & on ... Jimmy
Posted on 2001-04-11 04:55:00 by JimmyClif
i agree with jim's suggestion of a board for some non-asm specific topics. i specially like nan's thread for nanotech, robots, ai, and the like in the general board. after staring at the monitor for 8 hrs at work then doing the same for another 4 hrs learning win32asm at home, talking of other things may prove healthy for my sanity.
Posted on 2001-04-11 07:09:00 by pixelwise
Go ahead. I believe you can convert the MB to PHP with not too much trouble. More resource is good.
Posted on 2001-04-11 07:22:00 by Iczelion
1) Cookies are OK! with me 2) FAQ Page 3) Place to post Tutorials, Codes, Algo or anything that is helpful. 4) A link to Iczelion's site 5) ID's of all who are currently online 6) A page with links to all Win32ASM site on the net ==> with ratings ==> in a sequence on the basis of hits received ==> suggest a site thing 7) JAVA Chat (Flash content) 8) Weekly Poll and Ratings things 9) Search page with ability to search whole database (no need to choose which board) 10) Message wrap to fit 600 x 480 11) Links to Help files 12) Code of the month 13) Tips and Tricks 14) Ability to view board off-line. offline reader and zipped archive 15) Every thread when clicked should open in a new window 16) Faster d/l and u/l 17) A sub-site for contributer with their codes, tuts, current projects etc 18) Current news about Win32ASM 19) Ability to comment or put questions about tuts and codes posted recently 20) COME TOGETHER What ELSE! e-nigma
Posted on 2001-04-11 07:44:00 by e-nigma