This code has been bothering me for the past few days. I know it's quite simple but i'm just not getting it. I'm trying to display a messagebox with a formatted version of my current windows uptime (Days/Hours/Mins/Secs). Now the first division routine works fine -- converting milliseconds to seconds. When I then divide by minutes, the application crashes and delivers an error message. I would like to go further and completely convert the milliseconds to a formatted uptime. Below is a portion of Hugo Perez's Assembly Tutorial. I understand most of it but I am a little confused about the "even DX:AX register" portion.
If the divider is 8 bits, the 16 bits AX register is taken as dividend and if the divider is 16 bits the even DX:AX register will be taken as dividend, taking the DX high word and AX as the low. If the divider was a byte then the quotient will be stored on the AL register and the residue on AH, if it was a word then the quotient is stored on AX and the residue on DX.
With no avail, i've searched all over for examples dealing with assembly arithmatic; any help would be appreciated. By the way, the compiler being used is Masm. Below is a portion of my code...

.data        ;initialized variables
LText          db "%u.", 0
LCaption       db "System Uptime", 0
DelayMilli     dd 1000
DelayDays      dd 86400
DelayHours     dd 3600
DelayMins      dd 60

.data?       ;uninitialized variables
Buffer         db 16 dup (?)
Days           dd         ?
Hours          dd         ?
Minutes        dd         ?
Seconds        dd         ?
TickCount      dd         ?

; #########################################################################

.code

start:

invoke GetTickCount
    div DelayMilli

invoke wsprintf, addr Buffer, addr LText, ax
    invoke MessageBox, 0, addr Buffer, addr LCaption, MB_OK+MB_ICONINFORMATION

invoke ExitProcess, 0

end start
Posted on 2001-04-16 00:45:00 by usb
Here is the scoop on DIV (you definition is quite convoluted): Since we are dividing, you the computer expects that the operation will create a smaller value that what it started with, (there is some problems with this assumption, like divinde by 1).. but non the less, the cpu works this way... So.. if your dividing 16 bits by a 8 bit value, expect 8 bit answer, with an 8 bit remainer. In this case, AX is the 16 source, and the answer is then copied over the source with AL holding the answer, and AH holding the remainder. Likewise, if your dividing a 32 bit source by 16 bits, it will use DX as the upper 16 bit source, AX as the lower 16 bit source, and divide the equivelant 32bit number by a 16 value, producing a 16 bit answer in AX, and a 16 bit remainder in DX. I dont fuss with DIV too often, but i believe the newer .386 intruction set provides for a 32 bit divisor as well, using EDX as the upper 32 bits, and EAX as the lower 32bits of a 64 bit source, and it is divided by 32 bits to produce a 32 answer in EAX and remainder in EDX. Hopefully this paints a better picture. The thing to remember about all this, is the CPU only realizes the type of source to consider by the size of the divisor. Your source has: div DelayMilli where delaymilli is defined as a Double 32 bits, so this would imply that the upper 32bits to use is EDX and lower is EAX. Since GetTickCount will return a DWORD in eax, there is no guarentees that EDX will remain unchanged (M$ lazyness). So odds are, the invoke you called will fill EDX with some random 32 bit number, compounded with the tick-count in EAX, will make a very big 64 number to be divided by a relatively small 32 bit number (1000).. If the divisor is too small, the answer will outgrow the size of the destination register (32 bits) and cause a divide overflow error (a fatal error which will cause the program to crash). If your still following all this, i would try adding this line:

invoke GetTickCount
   mov edx, 0 ; format upper 32 bits of 64 bit source
   div DelayMilli
Or... By the same logic, scale down your divsor data type.. 1000 out of 4 Gig is small. At least 16 bits are 0's, you can easily fit 1000 in a word (16 bits), however, DX will still be used, and thus you will still need to format it to ensure no errors (it may not cause a divide overflow in this case, but you could still have faulty answers if dx is allowed to hold a non zero value)..

DelayMilli dw 1000

invoke GetTickCount
    mov edx, 0   ; format DX 
    div DelayMilli
Well that was much longer than first intended... :) Hope it helps.. NaN This message was edited by NaN, on 4/16/2001 2:12:16 AM
Posted on 2001-04-16 02:08:00 by NaN
Thanks so much NaN; I really appreciate the speedy response. I decided I might as well finish the program before I go to sleep. Not only have you helped me in the completion on this project, but also my journey into the world of windows assembly has taken a giant step. Below is the source for my finished application, for those interested in learning or those who would just like to see. Thanks again.

.model flat, stdcall
      option casemap :none   ; case sensitive

include \masm32\include\windows.inc
      include \masm32\include\user32.inc
      include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc

includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib
      includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib

.data        ;initialized variables
LText          db "%u Days %u Hours %u Minutes %u Seconds", 0
LSpace         db " ", 0
DelayMilli     dd 1000
DelayDays      dd 86400
DelayHours     dd 3600
DelayMins      dd 60

.data?       ;uninitialized variables
Buffer         db 16 dup (?)
Days           dd         ?
Hours          dd         ?
Minutes        dd         ?
Seconds        dd         ?
TickCount      dd         ?

.code

start:
    invoke GetTickCount
    mov edx, 0
    div DelayMilli
    mov TickCount, eax

mov edx, 0
    div DelayDays
    .if eax > 0
        mov Days, eax
        mov eax, edx
        mov TickCount, edx
    .else
        mov eax, TickCount
    .endif

mov edx, 0
    div DelayHours
    .if eax > 0
        mov Hours, eax
        mov eax, edx
        mov TickCount, edx
    .else
        mov eax, TickCount
    .endif

mov edx, 0
    div DelayMins
    mov Minutes, eax
    mov Seconds, edx

invoke wsprintf, addr Buffer, addr LText, Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds

invoke ExitProcess, 0
end start
Good Night ;)
Posted on 2001-04-16 03:00:00 by usb
Glad to help... NaN
Posted on 2001-04-16 11:48:00 by NaN
This is just a follow up to my previous message. I would like to let those who care know that i've ported my code from Assembly to C++, VC++, Delphi, and Visual Basic. This was just for learning purposes and I got some pretty interesting size comparisons.
Posted on 2001-04-17 00:14:00 by usb
so what are the file sizes ??? :)
Posted on 2001-04-17 17:03:00 by skud
Naturaly I would think VB is the largest, cuz those exe's are just wasted, bloated dll code. Then delphi its basicaly the same crap just it doesnt need runtime .dll's like VB, I would guess VC++ next cuz its just not strait c++ code, proboly some bloating, then strait c++ cuz thats usualy pretty clean, and i betcha our asm will take the cake! weee! -brad
Posted on 2001-04-17 21:03:00 by Rage9
Asm - 2.5kb C++ - 9.96kb Delphi - 41kb Vb - 20kb (need's msvbvm60.dll [1.32mb]) VC++ - 148kb
Posted on 2001-04-17 22:39:00 by usb
Well, it at the very least can justify a *worthy* trade off for using Delphi... :rolleyes: I still like ASM best, but if was to choose a second, i would have gone VC++, which is a surprising difference.. Seeing i don't feel like learning Delphi anytime soon, looks like its ASM all the way... :cool: BTW: Did you use a VC++ wizard (Currious how it got to be soooooo big.. :) ) NaN
Posted on 2001-04-18 00:57:00 by NaN
Yes, I did use the wizard and basically stripped out the guts. These ported applications were made rather quickly and not much time was taken to provide the smallest and fastest executable. With a few minor adjustments in VC++'s linker options, I was able to get the size down to 84kb. Also, I changed the subsystem for the C++ version, which brought my size to 9.97kb. I will probably continue trying to revise each application's code in order to receive the most effecient results.
Posted on 2001-04-18 01:16:00 by usb
Asm - 2.5kb C++ - 3.03kb Delphi - 41kb Vb - 16kb VC++ - 36kb After numerous trials, I believe i've optimized each language's code to the fullest (except assembly). Correct me if i'm wrong, but the smallest an application will be, if compiled with MASM, is 2.5kb, right? If so, then I only need to optimize my code for speed. I'm pretty proud of the results; Although, I would still like to have the Delphi executable reduce in size. Anyways, I need to get some sleep... ;)
Posted on 2001-04-18 03:37:00 by usb
One last thought, how would you order these in terms of effort required to get the above results (neglecting your debuging of source problems)??? Masm is pretty well type and go, but to squeeze out the air so much outa C++/VC++ etc. i imagine you had to hunt down a few switches etc. NaN
Posted on 2001-04-19 09:17:00 by NaN
With a little standard library rewrite and some linker settings, you can get your VC++ exes about as small as masm exes -- if you code in "raw" style (no libc, only pure win32 API calls). You need to rewrite "libctrstartup" (or something like it - try linking with the no default libaries switch and see what it bitches about), and define "_fltused" (or something like it). Ok, I can't remember the details off the top of my head, but with trial and error this took only half an hour or such. Remember that delphi (and BCB) depend on huge runtime DLLs just like VB. But I think it's possible to strip this off if you're only doing console apps. But who'd want to write in pascal when they can do C or asm? :). Oh yes, one more thing: if you're going to strip off the runtimes for vc++, be a bit careful with c++ code, it "probably" needs a couple things, at least if you're doing dynamic obj allocations.
Posted on 2001-04-19 10:40:00 by f0dder
Basically, the C++ and VC++ executables all boiled down to a few linker and compiler options/switches. It was mostly trial and error that allowed me to reduce the sizes; although it wasn't that hard. I did rewrite a bit of the Vb code in order to limit the size. I'm pretty sure I could have reduced the sizes in C++, VC++, and Delphi a bit more by writing my own library file, but I was lazy. If I were to order these results by effort, I would say that each was quite simple. I really didn't have a hard time while making or reducing through any language. The one that took the longest to complete (when trying to reduce the size), however, was VC++. I'm not sure if f0dder was stating that Delphi, like Vb, requires runtime libraries for it's exectables. If he wasn't, then I misinterpreted that section in his post. If otherise, then I have to disagree in that, any executable produced in Delphi (and I believe BCB) does not require a runtime library. :)
Posted on 2001-04-19 13:25:00 by usb
I'm not defending Delphi here but lets get our facts together. Delphi does not depend huge runtime dlls. Delphi creates REAL stand alone executables. It does create bloated code however, especially when using the VCL. But just to prove a point, I compiled the code given by usb with Delphi 3 and came up with 16.5k
Posted on 2001-04-19 13:32:00 by anon
You can get 1.5k in ASM if you REALLY want, although it does scarifice some sanity (and readability)....

.model flat, stdcall
option casemap:none

.code
data:
LSpace         db " ", 0
DelayMilli     dd 1000
DelayDays      dd 86400
DelayHours     dd 3600
DelayMins      dd 60

Buffer         db 16 dup (0)
Days           dd         0
Hours          dd         0
Minutes        dd         0
Seconds        dd         0
TickCount      dd         0

start:
    lea edx, 
    mov eax, offset start
    push NULL
    sub eax, offset data

invoke VirtualProtect, addr data, eax, PAGE_READWRITE, edx
    pop eax

invoke GetTickCount
    mov edx, 0
    div DelayMilli
    mov TickCount, eax

mov edx, 0
    div DelayDays
    .if eax > 0
        mov Days, eax
        mov eax, edx
        mov TickCount, edx
    .else
        mov eax, TickCount
    .endif

mov edx, 0
    div DelayHours
    .if eax > 0
        mov Hours, eax
        mov eax, edx
        mov TickCount, edx
    .else
        mov eax, TickCount
    .endif

mov edx, 0
    div DelayMins
    mov Minutes, eax
    mov Seconds, edx

invoke wsprintf, addr Buffer, addr LText, Days, Hours, Minutes, Seconds

invoke ExitProcess, 0
end start
Its a complete rip of the code usb wrote, I needed to re-format for my own personal consumption ;) . Basically put all the data in the code section saves 1k (.5k for the .data, and .5k for the .data?), but in order to be able to write to the code section you need to de-protect it using VirtualProtect. Mirno
Posted on 2001-04-19 13:51:00 by Mirno
For even smaller code and worse readability :), change your code to this:

.model flat, stdcall
option casemap:none
.code
data:

start:
    invoke GetTickCount
    cdq
    mov ecx, 1000
    div ecx

cdq
    mov ecx, 86400
    div ecx
    mov ebx, eax
    mov eax, edx

cdq
    mov ecx, 3600
    div ecx
    mov esi, eax
    mov eax, edx

cdq
    mov ecx, 60
    div ecx

invoke wsprintf, offset start, addr LText, ebx, esi, eax, edx
    invoke MessageBox, 0, offset start, addr LCaption, MB_OK+MB_ICONINFORMATION
    invoke ExitProcess, 0
end start
and assemble/link it with:

ml /c /coff usb.asm
link /ALIGN:4 /subsystem:windows /MERGE:.rdata=.text /SECTION:.text,ERWX usb.obj
Most variables are changed to registers so data can be removed, the rdata and text section are merged and made writable by changing the section flags in the PE header (/SECTION:.text,ERWX). Align for the file is set to 4. I don't think this is a legal size, but it works in win2k. The start of the code section is used as buffer too (when the buffer is used, the first opcodes are overwritten, but we don't need them anymore so it doesn't matter). All this assembles to 844 bytes and it's still working. Thomas
Posted on 2001-04-19 14:52:00 by Thomas
Wow! :) Thanks for such wonderful responses everyone. I can truly say that this has been a learning experience. It's great to see that I received a warm welcome into the community. I also see that I have a long way to go...
Posted on 2001-04-20 03:16:00 by usb
Delphi does not require runtime libraries? How come it bitches if it can't find those DPL files (or whatever those files are called). I think I'll go home and reinstall delphi just to prove that I'm right :). I'm pretty sure about this.
Posted on 2001-04-20 06:21:00 by f0dder
I just wanted to say that if you are using Delphi, you can choose if you want your software to use runtime libraries or if you want them included in your exe. Using runtime libraries will result in a very small exe (but slow) - only a few kb - just like Visual Basic. /tcore
Posted on 2001-04-20 07:51:00 by tcore