This is a procedure destined for the MASM32 library, it trims the tab and space junk from either end of a string and writes it back to the same string address. Any suggestions welcome, as long as they re tested and RELIABLE !!!! Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au

; ########################################################################

trim proc src:DWORD

mov ecx, src
    mov edx, src

; ---------------------------
  ; read leading tabs & spaces
  @@:
    mov al, 
    inc ecx
    cmp al, 32  ; space
    je @B
    cmp al, 9   ; tab
    je @B

dec ecx     ; correct for following copy

; --------------------------------------
  ; copy the rest including trailing zero
  @@:
    mov al, 
    inc ecx
    mov , al
    inc edx
    cmp al, 0
    jne @B

; back 2 to compare trailing characters
    sub edx, 2

; ----------------------------------------------
  ; scan backwards to find first non tab or space
  ; ----------------------------------------------
  @@:
    mov al, 
    dec edx
    cmp al, 32
    je @B
    cmp al, 9
    je @B

; --------------------------------------------------
  ; place terminator at position of last tab or space
  ; --------------------------------------------------
    mov , byte ptr 0

ret

trim endp

; #########################################################################
Posted on 2001-04-25 03:17:00 by hutch--
Thanks! I used before a function like this:

trim proc szText: DWORD
    invoke ltrim, szText, szText
    invoke rtrim, szText, szText
    ret
trim endp
Posted on 2001-04-25 05:44:00 by vkim
I like the proc: - It works with the same range of memory so data adresses is always in the cache when you write it. It's may be upto 2 times faster than working with string and buffer. - Loops are well organized, continues loops jmps backward wich is always faster - Loops are well pared, it's not pared with the first iteration but will be pared with next until the exit from loop. - There is no mixture of classical way to use mnemonics for JCC with .IF ect. statements I'm not against HLL statements but mixturing them with classic JCC very often lead programmers write very stange un effective code, 'cause they don't fully control visualy what kind of code they are writing. So some of this mixtures spoiled code in the past procs and I'm glad that I can not see it here. -------------------------------------------------- Minor things: 1. What will happend if the string consist only tab and space caracters? 2. Replace cmp al,0 with or al,al 3. The equal (or may be a little faster code) you may achive using index register while coping. It's not actually impovement, but, I think it's worthy to keep it in mind for more complex cases: xor ebx,ebx @@: mov al,byte ptr mov ,al inc ebx or al,al jne @B lea edx,[-2] -------------------------------------------------------------- Your code style for 386+ has progressed, I hope you'll bit up all my algos in short time. Good luck. The Svin
Posted on 2001-04-29 02:54:00 by The Svin
My only comment is: It should be set up as three functions, or one function with three parameters. Ltrim() Rtrim() Alltrim()
Posted on 2001-04-29 11:23:00 by SFinegan
It's pity you ignored my question #1 in previous post. I'll say it again - if the string contains only 32h and 9h the proc will crash data in lower addresses from the begining of the string. In such a case it finds first not 32h or 9h character and it will be zero. Then it in the second part write zero at the beginning of the string and then will search first not 32h or 9h characters below the string beginning in the addresses that not belongs to the string! Here is one of possible solutions:

; read leading tabs & spaces
  @@:
    mov al, 
    inc ecx
    cmp al, 32  ; space
    je @B
    cmp al, 9   ; tab
    je @B
;! If first "not 32h or 09h" character is 0 then write it as the first byte and exit

or al,al		;! If you wouldn't do this
    jne @F		;! and if the sting contains only 32h and 9h
    mov ,al	;! you ovewrite data under begining of the string!
    ret		;!
@@:
    dec ecx     ; correct for following copy

; copy the rest including trailing zero
  @@:
    mov al, 
The Svin.
Posted on 2001-04-30 07:58:00 by The Svin
;trim PROTO ;Usage: invoke trim, src ;trim proc src:DWORD trim proc  ; pop eax ; return address pop ecx ; src push eax ; return address mov edx,ecx ; mov ecx, src ;  mov edx, src   ; ---------------------------   ; read leading tabs & spaces   ; ---------------------------   @@:     mov al,      inc ecx     cmp al, 32  ; space     je @B     cmp al, 9   ; tab     je @B jne L_2 ; dec ecx     ; correct for following copy   ; --------------------------------------   ; copy the rest including trailing zero   ; --------------------------------------   @@:     mov al,      inc ecx L_2:     mov , al     inc edx test al,al ;cmp al, 0     jne @B   ; --------------------------------------   ; back 2 to compare trailing characters   ; --------------------------------------   ;  sub edx, 2   ; ----------------------------------------------   ; scan backwards to find first non tab or space   ; ----------------------------------------------   @@:     mov al,      dec edx     cmp al, 32     je @B     cmp al, 9     je @B   ; --------------------------------------------------   ; place terminator at position of last tab or space   ; -------------------------------------------------- ; mov , byte ptr 0 ; ?? ; ret ; ?? may be ret 4     mov byte ptr ,0     ret trim endp
Posted on 2001-05-03 01:49:00 by nadia
Maybe something like the following? Of course, you might want to save ebx etc. mov esi,src ;src= mov edi,esi ;cheaper and faster than mov edi,src xor ebx,ebx ;ebx will record the address of the last non-space, if any Loopit: lodsb or al,al jz short Done cmp al," " je short Special cmp al,9 je short Special stosb mov ebx,edi ;update ebx jmp short Loopit Special: or ebx,ebx jz short Loopit ;don't store leading space stosb ;don't update ebx, in case only spaces will follow jmp short Loopit Done: or ebx,ebx jz short UseEDI ;for 486+, prefer a conditional mov mov edi,ebx UseEDI: stosb (and ret 4)
Posted on 2001-05-22 03:06:00 by Larry Hammick
Alex, ====================================================== It's pity you ignored my question #1 in previous post. ====================================================== Not so, I have one life and time and it gets filled up with other things from time to time. The version I posted has no error check for a string that has only tabs and spaces. It remains to be seen if it is of use to put a checking mechanism in the procedure. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-05-22 04:42:00 by hutch--
Larry, nice algo. I like the compactness of the code. I'd use other registers besides EBX, ESI, EDI; but that's just 'cus of windows. :)
Posted on 2001-05-22 13:07:00 by bitRAKE
Thx bitRAKE; the things you learn from such gross jobs as writing command-tail parsing code for DOS:) Cmpxchg would be better than conditional mov, on second thought. Here is a variant, "LTrim": mov esi,src ;src= mov edi,esi Loopit: lodsb or al,al jz short Done cmp al," " je short Special cmp al,9 je short Special stosb jmp short Loopit Special: cmp edi,src je short Loopit ;don't store leading space stosb jmp short Loopit Done: stosb ;al=0 (ret 4) and here is a candidate for "RTrim": mov esi,src ;src= xor edx,edx Loopit: lodsb or al,al jz short Done cmp al," " je short Loopit cmp al,9 je short Loopit mov edx,esi ;update edx jmp short Loopit Done: or edx,edx jz short UseESI ;esi will be src if edx=0 mov esi,edx UseESI: mov ,al ;al=0 (ret 4) This message was edited by Larry Hammick, on 5/23/2001 9:59:02 AM This message was edited by Larry Hammick, on 5/23/2001 10:00:48 AM
Posted on 2001-05-23 04:10:00 by Larry Hammick
A couple of things for thew discussion on this basic algo type, Alex, ================================= 2. Replace cmp al,0 with or al,al ================================= OR does not pair as well as CMP so for speed related code, CMP is a better choice of instruction. In relation to writing the algo with error checking for a string that is comprised of tabs and spaces only, the circumstance is rare enough to write a seperate algo to scan for the occurrence of any character before ascii zero if the contents of the string being stripped cannot be assured. Larry, The problem with using string instructions is that almost exclusively the operations can be done faster using indexed addressing. Especially when the string instruction are not using a REP prefix. The literature by Agner Fog has quantitative testing that shows the string instructions are not well optimised on later Intel processors. Interestingly enough, some of the later AMD processors manage the older string instructions faster than later Intel processors. The problem is that if you want code that performs well across the range of x86 processors, you cannot target the capacity of one at the expense of another. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-05-23 20:43:00 by hutch--
I see. I didn't know that about string instructions. But we could just replace each lodsb or stosb with two instructions (an indexed mov and an inc of the index). Movsb would need 3 instructions, maybe 4.
Posted on 2001-05-25 04:00:00 by Larry Hammick
The string instructions come in very handy if your coding for small size, but that doesn't seem to be the direction the software world is going. :) The multiple instruction that replace the string instructions almost always improve pairing - the programmer doesn't have to be concerned with default register dependancies either.
Posted on 2001-05-25 13:59:00 by bitRAKE