I downloaded MASM32 version 6 and I read something in the lines of not for newbies. My question is where do I start? If masm32 not for newbies then I presume that I have to get some 16bits in my head before plunging in the 32 bits (but then I will still be a newbie for 16 bit). Now, none of that stuff runs on MASM32 because it is using interupts or for some other reasons. Why would I want to code in 16 bits if I want to learn current 32bits for windows, after all I am running Win98SE. If Iczelion tutorials are to high profile for a newbie where do I start?
Posted on 2001-05-03 18:59:00 by Lerner
you will need the masm32 package to get you started its just simpler that way. better to do things in a windows environment than a dos based. most of the syntax that is used in 16 bit assembly programs are the same when used with 32 bit programming. so its an advantage to already know 16 bit asm programming when begining to learn how to program visually. so many people tell you to first read the Art of Assembly Language online book which is all non visual 16 bit. although this will be well worth your effort to read it.. i know from a newbie standpoint that most of us want to jump right into the visual aspect of it. so what i did was started with iczelions tutorials and used the art of assembly book as a reference. once i figurered out how to code the visual aspect of the windows i started reading the online book. you will soon find out that the visual part isnt the hard part to learn but dealing with the opcodes and learning how registers and memory work is the hard part. assembly programming isnt that hard i find it easier to comprehend than C++. so i would start with iczelions tutorials if you really want to jump straight into it then read parts of the book as you go. also at iczelions main sight he has a link to some more good tutorials you should look at specifically tomas's work. good luck smurf
Posted on 2001-05-03 19:23:00 by smurf
Lerner, The reason I put that warning in MASM32 was to help people who have never learnt a programming language. I have had many enquiries from people who had no background in programming whatsoever ask about learning 32 bit windows assembler. For programmers who have written in C, Pascal or Basic compilers who are familiar with data types, pointers and algorithms, MASM32 is an OK place to start. There is the added complexity of having to learn a large number of Windows API functions and this usually means some experience in coding either 16 or 32 bit Windows for some time. If you have this type of background and you are interested in writing assembler, MASM32 should be very useful to you but if you have not been doing this type of code for long enough to get the swing of it, you face a very difficult learning curve with little chance of getting a good result. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-05-03 21:20:00 by hutch--