Hi, Is it possible to access a floppy disk drive DIRECTLY thruogh some function (like SYMANTEC NDD does)? I need to write some sector(s) on the floppy drive. How is it possible to do it?
Posted on 2001-05-12 08:24:00 by diamond
i'm just working on this (just to read HD). From some articles i found on the net to write absolute to a floppy from win 95 you need to do a call to VMM32.VXD that emulate interrupt. I just try to explain ..

so 1st, you have to open VXD file ..

call    CreateFileA, offset VXDHandle, GENERIC_READ or  GENERIC_WRITE, FILE_SHARE_READ or FILE_SHARE_WRITE, NULL,OPEN_EXISTING, FILE_ATTRIBUTE_NORMAL, NULL

2nd, now you need to fill a 'reg' structure as per int 13h..
this is the struct,

DIOCRegs	STRUC
reg_EBX	DD	?
reg_EDX	DD	?           
reg_ECX	DD	?           
reg_EAX	DD	?           
reg_EDI	DD	?           
reg_ESI	DD	?           
reg_Flags	DD	?
DIOCRegs	ENDS

3rd. once you filled the structure as per int 13h os 25h
call DeviceIoControl as follow...

call    DeviceIoControl, hFileX, VWIN32_DIOC_DOS_INT13, offset reg, SIZE reg,offset reg, SIZE reg, offset IObyte, 0

VWIN32_DIOC_DOS_IOCTL                equ  1   ; INT 21H / AH := 44H automatically
VWIN32_DIOC_DOS_INT25                equ  2
VWIN32_DIOC_DOS_INT26                equ  3
VWIN32_DIOC_DOS_INT13                equ  4   ; YES, you can work with physical
VWIN32_DIOC_SIMCTRLC                 equ  5   ; sectors (MBR)
VWIN32_DIOC_DOS_DRIVEINFO            equ  6   

hope it help
Posted on 2001-05-12 10:05:00 by angelo
For floppy read/write of direct sectors/tracks (no filesystem) you shoul read the NEC8272 and late improvements from Intel and NEC (this chip is the floppy controller) i used to do it on ZxSpectrum and 286 machines with simple OUT and IN instructions (not so simple on Z80 because of required speed, but pretty simple from 286 upwards) so it can eventually work like that on win95 or using WinIO.dll on wim98SE/Me/2k but take care Nec8272 floppy drive controller is NOT a very simple chip to program... a little experience is required..but not very much either...just dont activate the DMA mode to keep it simple...make fast IN/OUT sequence to send comands and DATA to or from chip... today micros sure can do it without DMA and this saves you another programming problem...more complicated IMHO because of interupts ;)
Posted on 2001-05-12 20:25:00 by BogdanOntanu
I have done the same thing with VWin32.VxD to access disks directly. I only have a .lib and a .inc, which are not 100% tested, but should work on any drive. they definatly work on floppy disks through as I have been using them to write boot sectors to disk. The only problem, which is windows not me, is that on both of my computer systems (Win98) the file VWin32.VxD was not actualy installed on disk and only on one of my systems could I find the file in the windows installation files. So in short dont write a program which assumes the existance of VWin32.VxD. PS If you want my direct disk librarys im quite happy to email you to them (and the source if I can find it) This message was edited by George, on 5/13/2001 6:06:45 AM
Posted on 2001-05-13 06:04:00 by George
here is a example of reaing Floppy's ;######################################################################## ; Read Sector PROCEDURE ;######################################################################## ReadSector PROC ;========================================================= ; This procedure reads the sector specified in the Regs ; structure. Default is four tries. It performs an int13. ;========================================================= ;================================== ; set the current attempt ;================================== MOV CurAttempt, 0 agn: ;================================== ; Fill sent regs to reset diskette ;================================== MOV EAX, 0 MOV sent_regs.reg_EAX, EAX MOV EDX, 0 MOV DL, Disk MOV sent_regs.reg_EDX, EDX ;================================== ; Make the call to DeviceIOControl ;================================== INVOKE DeviceIoControl,hVWIN,VWIN32_DIOC_DOS_INT13,ADDR sent_regs, SIZEOF sent_regs,ADDR sent_regs, SIZEOF sent_regs, ADDR Byte_Count,0 MOV Result, EAX ;================================== ; Fill sent_regs w/master ;================================== MOV EAX, Regs.reg_EAX MOV sent_regs.reg_EAX, EAX MOV EAX, Regs.reg_EBX MOV sent_regs.reg_EBX, EAX MOV EAX, Regs.reg_ECX MOV sent_regs.reg_ECX, EAX MOV EAX, Regs.reg_EDX MOV sent_regs.reg_EDX, EAX MOV EAX, Regs.reg_EDI MOV sent_regs.reg_EDI, EAX MOV EAX, Regs.reg_ESI MOV sent_regs.reg_ESI, EAX MOV EAX, Regs.reg_FLAGS MOV sent_regs.reg_FLAGS, EAX ;================================== ; Make the call to DeviceIOControl ;================================== INVOKE DeviceIoControl,hVWIN,VWIN32_DIOC_DOS_INT13,ADDR sent_regs, SIZEOF sent_regs,ADDR sent_regs, SIZEOF sent_regs, ADDR Byte_Count,0 MOV Result, EAX ;================================== ; test for error ;================================== .IF EAX == 0 || (sent_regs.reg_FLAGS & 0001h) ;========================== ; if attempts don't == 3 ; go back and do again ;========================== MOV AL, NumAttempts .IF CurAttempt != AL INC CurAttempt JMP agn .ENDIF ;========================== ; if == 3 then return error ;========================== MOV EAX, sent_regs.reg_EAX MOV Regs.reg_EAX, EAX JMP errr .ENDIF ;============================ ; Return from procedure ;============================ done: return 1 ;============================ ; Return w/ERROR ;============================ errr: return 0 ReadSector endp ;######################################################################## ; End ReadSector procedure ;######################################################################## If you want more example like format,writeing to sectors ect. just let me know I have it all.
Posted on 2001-05-13 22:02:00 by Zcoder