ok, maybe a little off the topic question but anyway, if we have cable TV, we plug the cable in TV, and then with remote or whatewer we change channels, but how is this information about some program saved in the cable? i mean i can choose between 50 channels, are they at the same time on the cable?i cant visual this thing...can anyone help?
Posted on 2001-05-14 10:05:00 by Geecko
That's an interesting question! The little one watches 50+ channels on cable and I get 600KB/s transfers off the web. I think that all that data is transmitted in parallel (or most of it - not pay-per-view on the newer cable). I don't know the technical details, but I assume it's similar in some way to the method that FM radio use - just a little bit maybe. :) Digital Dish TV has 1000 channels transmitted in parallel. I don't really watch TV any more.
Posted on 2001-05-14 11:40:00 by bitRAKE
Its by multiplexing.... I'm not sure how multiplexing works, and there are plenty of documents that'll tell you if you REALLY want to know... Just do searches for multiplexing (not multiplex as you get far too many cinemas!), or muxes. Look specifically at "Wave division" and "Frequency division" multiplexing, I think they are more towards what current telecoms use (I could be wrong tho). Mirno Legal disclaimer: The following words have been typed by an idiot, their merit is neither trustworthy or necessarily relevant. Reproduction of the above text is done so at the transcribers own risk, the author cannot be held responsible for personal injury that this may cause. Now let us remember what we have learned here today!
Posted on 2001-05-14 12:43:00 by Mirno
Its very simple, every channel is transmitted on a diffrent frequency band there is a limit about how many channels/bands you can send in the same time on a given cable...that is about 50 ;) for the TV cable ...when you switch channels with your remote, the TV set "tunes in" to a certain setup channel and ignores any other frequency from the cable...this is dome with (very simple explanation here, reality is more complex electromnics) LC (inductor and a capacitor filter) on the other side a Sattelite Dish ahr a more better cable (2Gigahetz bandwidth) and a more better reciver set (compared to TV) so it can easy distiguish betwwe 1000 channels on the same cable...problem is TV can NOT...so sattelite receiver convets ANY of its cannels to a SINGLE channel on the TV band.... this is the very big picture ... things are MORE complicated in reality... Hope this helps...i wonder how? :( ;)
Posted on 2001-05-14 20:15:00 by BogdanOntanu
thank you all for the answers, you gave me some direction and some basic info that helped me a lot.
Posted on 2001-05-14 20:30:00 by Geecko
Geecko : i think you should go to "www.howstuffworks.com" you will learn alot from there
Posted on 2001-05-17 07:44:00 by eko