Hi all. I'm new to win32 programming, I don't know if ASM is the way to go, but all I see is, that anyone who writes ASM is full force for it, and belives only in ASM. now my question is; should I start with Win32 assembly language? should I first start somewhere else? where? What I do know is, ASP,and other scripting languages. Any help would be appriciated. Thanks so much Baruch
Posted on 2001-05-16 00:53:00 by Baruch
welcome Baruch, you don't know if asm is the right way ? In effect asm is not easy understanding as other HL languages. To learn asm you'll need to study a little. (and this is what most af all don't want to do). You'll need tho learn a little about the processor, registers, memory models, memory management, also instructions, source code structure and so on. In other languages you don't need this base knowledge. You can just learn programming, reading helps for the instructions. But the hard reality of asm give you a technical preapartion on the PC. If you chose for this way youll'understand many thigs about the machine language. From Iczelion site you will find very good tutorials to start with win32. If you stay, have a nice start. angelo
Posted on 2001-05-16 02:14:00 by angelo
I'm actually not of the belief that one should learn programming by first learning assembly. Something where the task at hand is foremost, such as Visual Basic is a perfectly fine language to start with. In fact, VB is my first choice. ASM isn't a relegion (thou shalt have no false programming paradagrams before me). It's a tool. It's a particularly fast running tool, but it has about the steepest learning curve of any programming language. I only say 'almost' because I personally find it easier then C. One may find it possible to learn programming with assembly. After all, the first programmers did just that. But I would suggest starting elsewhere, then learning ASM. Any programmer worth his salt knows many languages anyway, so the effort will not be wasted.
Posted on 2001-05-16 19:36:00 by Ernie
Baruch, I have to agree with Ernie here, assembler is not an entry level language, there are other languages better suited to learn binary style programming, basic compilers, C compilers and Pascal compilers and what you learn that will be useful if you want to try working in assembler in the future are things like data types and sizes, many of the high level structures that make code reuse more efficient, the windows API functions etc... Assembler is a very elegant and powerful tool and used in the right place it can deliver truly stunning performance but it is not always the correct choice to do a job so having a high level language background allows you the choice of what will best do the job. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-05-16 19:59:00 by hutch--
Baruch, I dont know any of those scripting languages you are talking about, but I will assume that if you know those, you have an understanding of program flow and design. If you feel you understand program flow and design reasonably well, you may be ready to take the jump into assembly, as well as any other language. If you really want to do Win32asm, get an instruction reference off Intel's website, or get the masm32 package from Iczelion's site. Start with Iczelion's tutorials. They are very good no-nonsense tutorials and references. If you do not understand program flow and design reasonably well, I would agree with Ernie and hutch--, and suggest you spend a little time with a higher level language that has procedures and structure data types.
Posted on 2001-05-16 21:37:00 by asm_happy