How should I go about making a GUI Console? I know this question has paradoxial qualities, but I want to do something cool like in Quake3 when you hit the '~' key and that cool console come up. I was thinking something like skinning a window, but then how do I make the console? It turns out that the console APIs just aren't what I'm looking for. Any help is appreciated. Oh yeah to explain the title --> I'm going for my first attempt at AI.
Posted on 2002-01-07 20:42:51 by lackluster
Wouldn't the Quake console be classified as an owner-drawn textbox? If you feel keen, the source for Quake can be downloaded, the QIII console is just a snazzier version of the original.
Posted on 2002-01-07 20:53:27 by sluggy
Took the liberty to edit the thread topic - hope you don't mind.
As for the console part, it depends on how you want to implement
it... opengl or directdraw or GDI, what method of keyboard input
you'll use, et cetera.

You'll want to keep information such as current caret position,
previous (input) line buffers, and a list (or fixed-size array) that
holds the text of the console.

Put a little more information on what you need help with, and how
you intend to use this, and I'll gladly sit down and think for a while
to come up with something more helpful (-:
Posted on 2002-01-07 21:22:12 by f0dder
I was thinking OpenGL for the main console design and possibly Direct Input (although I don't have experiance with it) for input. Sluggy, can I get a link to the Quake source? I know I could just search for it, but its late and I'm tired ;0.
Posted on 2002-01-07 21:34:29 by lackluster
can I get a link to the Quake source?

No worries, here it is:

Quake I source

they have the source for a few other things too. If you are tired now, remember that your journey is just beginning, young jedi :)

(i was just kidding about that young jedi bit, i was in a star wars sort of mood, end of the work day, y'know :))
Posted on 2002-01-07 22:20:34 by sluggy
I don't know anything more than any one else about the actually making of the command line interface.

However, I can tell you the actually command environment might be a great project to try with the new MASM OOP stuff.
I haven't got around to taking a look at MASM OOP yet but I can say that the oop environmnet is a good way to code a dynamic system like this.
Posted on 2002-01-08 16:24:02 by -T-
Ok, I wrote a console for direct draw a long time ago... it was using directx 6.0 (it was in c++ and I have it stored on a hard-drive I no longer use). The point is it maybe easier to use then the article I found for you here...

I just did a search for "console" "directx" "c++"

I doubt you'll find any for assembly... but it might be some help if you converted it :-)

So if you need anything more just ring...

Gamedev article link

Sliver
Posted on 2002-01-08 22:08:48 by Sliver