I have a copy of Visual Studio 6 and Ultraedit. I haven't used either of them much, and I was wondering if there was a way to set either one of these up so that they can compile and run stuff I do in assembly. I got ultraedit to recognize assembly syntax highlighting, but I don't know how to set it up to compile assembly code. I also don't have a proper resource editor. I know Visual Studio has one but I don't want to use it if I can't get visual studio to work with assembly.
Posted on 2001-05-29 01:11:00 by Satrukaan
From the MSDN :
To set syntax coloring for user-defined keywords In the same directory as msdev.exe, use the Text editor or Windows Notepad to create a text-only file named usertype.dat. Add your keywords to usertype.dat, one keyword per line. Save the file as a text-only file, exit, and then restart Visual Studio.
MASM keywords can be found in the MASM manual. Don't forget to set the type of your source file to "C/C++" to turn syntax highlighting on. To highlight your asm comment, follow the ';' character by "//" like this : ;// comment line
Posted on 2001-05-29 02:19:00 by karim
NaN posted this reply when i wanted to configure my ultraedit: 1) Set up USER TOOL BUTTONS. (Advanced->Config->Toolbar) 2) Program USER TOOL FUNCTIONS. (Advanced->Tool Configuration) 3) Add Entries: (Here Are Mine) COMMANDLINE: D:\masm32\BIN\BUILD2.BAT %p%n WORKING DIR: %p MENU ITM NM: Compile ASM32 CHCK IF WIN: UNCHECKED SAVE ALL : CHECKED OUTPUT TO LIST RADIO BUTTON SELECTED CAPTURE OUTPUT: CHECKED 4) Click INSERT 5) Repeate for others I have build2.bat, its the same as build, but without the 'pause' command at the end ~ gets annoying in UE. Things to know: %p == Path of file in active window %n == Name of file in active window %e == Extension of the file in the active window (.asm, .exe, etc) %f == %p%n%e (Full path, name, and extension of file) One more thing.. entries are in top->down order in the list box. They represent Usertool 1 -> Usertool x (top->bottom). This is why there is an UP/DOWN button in the tool configuration menu (to move you functions in correct order). TIP: Set up one user tool button and place it at the end of your tool bar. Point it to run "Toolsmnu.exe" in your MASM32 package (Hutch's little program). Then configure the tools menu program to point to all your .hlp files ie: Win32 API Reference,C:\WINDOWS\winhlp32.exe D:\masm32\help\Win32api.hlp I have about 7 books in the menu, makes coding sooooooooo much faster to have info at the tip of a button. Hope this helps... I personally find it the best tool i have ever used. NaN good luck smurf
Posted on 2001-05-29 05:18:00 by smurf
Thanks a lot for the info. I'm at work right now, so I can't test it out, but I intend to when I get home.
Posted on 2001-05-29 13:31:00 by Satrukaan