I noticed when I first installed Win2K that it was using the hardware transparency of my video card. I assume that this is because of the video card driver - otherwise windows would try to do the effect in software. Having a nice video card is great for games, but how much of that power is getting used by windows during normal 2D stuff? Is there a way to rewrite parts of windows to use more of the video card memory, or other hardware features of a video card in 2D? If you don't play games, or do 3D graphics it doesn't seem worth the money to get a good video card? Thanks, for your two cents - it adds up!
Posted on 2001-06-04 13:48:00 by bitRAKE
I don't know about the video card specifically, but time and again I have found that MS takes the easy route rather than the good route. Nope, if you want something done right you've got to do it yourself. Pardon my bad mood; 3-4 hours ago I committed the folly of "upgrading" to Netscape 6.1 and it has taken me until now to undo the damage.
Posted on 2001-06-04 14:01:00 by Larry Hammick
bitRAKE, In typical Windows fashion, it's probably using all the memory, what it's not using will be used for Device Context's (mainly bitmaps and the like). I've found this bu using a memory DC on a window to provide flicker free drawing of a client area of a window, once it gets above a certain size then the fps slows down dramatically! This is because once it's too big for the spare video RAM it puts the whole bitmap into system memory and has to copy it from there to the video RAM which is noticably slower. Having said that you can determine what windows is using to accelerate your graphics by using GetDeviceCaps, and seeing which bits are set (I think there are other similar routines too) umbongo.
Posted on 2001-06-04 14:11:00 by umbongo