HI , IM 20 , I HAVE ONLY PROGRAMMED A SIMPLE COMMADORE 64K SYSTEM IN MACHINE CODE ENTERING DECIMAL NUMBERS THROUGH BASIC DATA STATMENTS SYSing TO THE DATA . I WANT TO PROGRAM GAMES & STUFF ON MY PENTIUM 4 BUT I HAVE A HARD TIME FINDING REGISTER POINTER-MEMORY MAPS OR SUBROUTINES FOR GRAPHICS SOUND MODEM ETC. COULD YOU PLEASE HELP ME FIND THEM & ALSO I CANT GET THE MASM32 TUTORIALS TO WORK & I KNOW PRACTICALLY NOTHING OF LIBRARIES & NEW 90s PROGRAMMING TERMS & METHODS .
Posted on 2001-06-05 09:30:00 by STEVEROWE5@AOL.COM
hi you should learn assembly before search for SUBROUTINES or whatever. and to do that you might want to try The Art Of Assembly book(16 or 32 bits,you decide!), Exagone and Iczelion's tuts. then, to start coding games you could go to gamedev where you can get much info on the subject and a tut on how to make a tetris game in win32asm (using the MASM32 package, i think..), there's also NeHe site with OpenGL tuts and more.. Bizarre Creations is another site you might wanna try. when you say to MASM32 TUTORIALS i assume your refering to the examples in the MASM32 package, is that so? if you install the package on the root you shouldn't have any probs assembly them.. what kind error are you getting? put them here and we'll try to help you.. good luck:D ensein
Posted on 2001-06-05 10:16:00 by ensein
you start by not caps locking everything
Posted on 2001-06-05 10:22:00 by Hiroshimator
Steve, Same comment on the capitals as Hiroshimator, second comment, be pushy here and no-one will answer your questions at all. Third comment, assembler is an advanced programming area and not a learners area. If you want to write code, learn how to program first, there are no short cuts in this area. Most programmers here have a background in languages like assembler, basic, C, pascal and a few others as well and if you bother to learn programming properly, they will help you in assembler but no-one here is obliged to respond, particularly when you have been pushy about what you have asked. Feel free to come back when your manners are better and you have some programming experience. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-06-05 10:34:00 by hutch--
are you in bad mood hutch--? ;)
Posted on 2001-06-05 10:49:00 by [-alloces-]
It's not very easy to read text that is all CAPS. Also, it's taken that you are trying to add a great deal of emphasis to what you are typing - something like yelling at us - which I know that you don't mean to do. This is a great resource for help on programming in assembly. No one here is ignored, or abused (too much :) ). So, there is no need to shout. :) You can call Intel, and they will ship you copies of the Processor Instruction Set Manuals at no cost to you! Take these around in a backpack and read them when you want to sleep. :) No, really, I use them all the time. I read every piece of code I can get my hands on, trying to figure out how it does, what it does. When I began programming in BASIC on a TRS-80, I was 7 years old and was just playing around. I would write simple programs to print pretty patterns on the screen. You just have to jump in and play around, make mistakes, write some small little programs, and crash a couple of hard drives. (Just kidding on that last one :) ) This message was edited by bitRAKE, on 6/5/2001 11:29:05 AM
Posted on 2001-06-05 11:24:00 by bitRAKE
hm i donīt think this is a real postin ...just some joke
Posted on 2001-06-05 15:07:00 by Allanon
BTW if this was a real post: I'm afraid that there will be a lot of things that you'll have to relearn: no direct ROM access like you're used to. No direct video access (I believe it started at A000), some instructions are different like mov bx,ax compared to lda 12 | sta bx (if I still remember correctly) pick up a book about windows programming (preferably programming windows by Charles Petzold), get an extensive API reference and buy books about design and the theorem of programming: the how to program. Also consider taking on a language like VB that will give you easier access to achieve something and will be a good learning ground to get used to windows event driven model, APIs and about everything else. -H- This message was edited by Hiroshimator, on 6/5/2001 3:42:29 PM
Posted on 2001-06-05 15:40:00 by Hiroshimator
steverowe5@aol.com & this means ? ---> ml /c /coff /Cp msgbox.asm link /SUBSYSTEM:WINDOWS /LIBPATH:c:\masm32\lib msgbox.obj .<-- where do i type this ? i type the whole thing ? i installed masm32 on drive C & D . someone once told me that graphics sound modem are accessed through irq's ? if so where do i find something similer to the fastest register or subroutine like irq location or value or whatever tables with a description in english ? the only reason it might seem like i have an atitude is because i have asked a several programmers some questions & they just started cussing @ me or laughing @ me because i am unsure how to access stuff .
Posted on 2001-06-05 17:03:00 by steverowe5@aol.com
Sorry to hear it, but the theme here is to show a little respect to WHO your asking help from. Moving on, It seems to me you need to become familiar with MS DOS. As your indicating you dont understand the 'ml ....' and 'link ....' commands. This is ok, you gotta start somewhere, but unfortunately on this site (as Hutch mentioned) its focus is for the advanced programmer. Please dont take this the wrong way, I as well as others will give guiding suggestions to help you learn, but we can not be expected to use this forum to 'teach' you from the ground up. As BitRAKE suggests, you'll have to do your own research. This applies to everyone realy, even complicated topics being posted rarely get 'perfect' answers (where everything is done for the person posting). Most responses are guiding thoughts and suggestions and is left at that. So in the spirit of things: - I personally suggest you convince yourself that you can handle MS DOS and its command stucture as well as its basic scripting (.bat) files. - Then move on to a simple basic language such as PowerBASIC or something (the language will look simple and very wordy ~ if found this from a google search just now..). - Once you get board of this, you should have a good idea of looping stuctures such as 'for' and 'while' loops, as well as variables. Move on to something more complex like Turbo C and learn some more neat stuff till you get board of how IT does things. - At this point i would suggest optionally you learn some java (briefly) to get a feel for what 'objects' are (( i found this language to be the simplest in this sence ~ i also find the language impractical, but its structure is good for learning )) - Once you hit hear, it can't hurt to dabble in Visual Basic to get a feel for the window's type mentality. As well in parallel, i suggest you start learning MASM32!! At which, we will still be here willing to help more focused questions, provided no one becomes offended :P NaN
Posted on 2001-06-05 17:40:00 by NaN
steverowe5@aol.com could someone please explain how to set up the masm32 so it will run & the meaning of a few of the terms & how to use them real quick in an efficient minimalist way so i can write code if this is a message board to help beginners instead of showing off your massive college like vocabulary & suggesting books & places ? masm32 isint really that big or complex if your similar to the persons who created or learned logic from observing there environment .or does anybody know the meaning of sumerize or brief description ? i have enough problems as it is being black mailed abused etc. . so if you dont have something directly helpful to say then please dont mess up my free space .
Posted on 2001-06-05 17:47:00 by steverowe5@aol.com
steverowe5@aol.com im going to ask a few spacific questions . the qeditor has a run tab . does that mean i can write code in it or just letters & symbols that stand for values to be sys or call or jsr ed to ? prostart > target means & does ? create directory means does ? setup paths means & does ? the basics like how to make an exe file ( what buttons to push what to enter )? when i click on the msgbox in icztutes\tute02 it opens a little window saying win32 assembly is great . is that normal ? these questions could be answerd alot quicker & easier in a chat room or e mail . & wouldnt wast space .
Posted on 2001-06-05 18:17:00 by steverowe5@aol.com
STEVEROWE5@AOL.COM do not tell any of our members that they're wasting your space with their posts again. That's way out of line. This is a programmers board, to put it bluntly regardless of any personal problems you will respect each other or you can hit the road. Listen to the answers given to you, they're sound. And hutch made such a great job of masm32 that running it shouldn't be any problem. The bottomline is: if you can't get MASM32 to run then you just aren't ready for the forums yet. We would love to see you come back later but it would be in your own interest to first pick up an easier language to start your first windows/programming steps in. I've programmed for the C64 (long time ago) in basic and assembler (loved those powercartridges) and it's quite a bit different an approach to use.
Posted on 2001-06-05 18:37:00 by Hiroshimator
STEVERROWE5: You should understand that programming in assembly requires lots of knowledge about both the PC AND the OS. If you are just a beginner, don't try to absorb everything at once: it'll be too much for you and you'll become confused. Try to ask yourself a question at a time. "why and how" is a good start. Under windows, you don't have direct access to hardware from regular programs. You rely on operating system services (called Application Programming Interface) to do the jobs for you. There are LOTS of such functions, over 2 thousands of them by approximation. Do you think you can memorize and use all of them? I don't think so. The most important thing for you right now is to "understand" how the PC and Windows work. After that, you can move on to use them. Forget about IRQ/DMA/IO ports/Interrupts etc if you want to program under Windows: it's a very very different world. I don't know the model under commodore64 but under Windows, you have to adopt message-driven model. That means, your program waits until Windows sends some messages to it. If you come from DOS world, this concept can be hard to swallow. Enough for the examples. I just want to show you that Windows programming is not just a question of knowing register map/memory layout and I/O ports: you have to learn about the OS itself. There are lots of pieces you have to pick up and put together to form correct picture of the programming environment. Teaching you ALL those things is simply not practical,even on IRC. My advice: read Art of Assembly Language: it's a free textbook on assembly language programming. You can find it on the web. After that, get a copy of Programming Windows by Charles Petzold. It will show you how to program Windows progs. After that, if you still have problems, you can ask in this forum.
Posted on 2001-06-05 20:48:00 by Iczelion
steverowe5@aol.com shesh , you people are intent on not helping me .in the amount of space you used you could have described something usefull to me . ok iczelion i will wast a bunch of time reading word for word something i have already scimed & found not what i was looking for but @ the same time i would prefer for someone to describe STEP BY STEP how to get masm32 to run where i can write code , run it & experiment which is the only way i have learned i can learn besides example please . & if you would tell me where to avoide ( like the bios area ). isint there some kind of documentation that tells where to avoid bios etc. ?
Posted on 2001-06-05 21:08:00 by steverowe5@aol.com
could someone please explain how to set up the masm32 so it will run & the meaning of a few of the terms & how to use them real quick in an efficient minimalist way so i can write code
Not easily possible, by extension of what Iczelion put so clearly..
if this is a message board to help beginners instead of showing off your massive college like vocabulary & suggesting books & places ?
This is not showing off, again as Iczelion stated, with 2000 API's in the windows enviroment alone, YOU WILL DEFINITELY DEPEND ON SOME DAMN GOOD REFERENCES! This is particularily ignorant, as Ensein took the time to provide actual links to the best known FREE sources of information going!! There is enough information on those links to keep you learning something new for the next year...
masm32 isint really that big or complex if your similar to the persons who created or learned logic from observing there environment .or does anybody know the meaning of sumerize or brief description ?
While itself MASM is small, it can become VERY complex to use. Which is why we have been (in the most part) polite to your intersts, yet stern on diverting your aim of attack. IT IS DESTINED TO FAIL! Because the language structure has a simpler base, it means more complex combinations will arise. It will take more lines of code in MASM to do the same in as one line of code in a high level language (such as C++) As well, as i tried to indicate earlier, all you will ever get from this board is the summation of how to get something done!!!
so if you dont have something directly helpful to say then please dont mess up my free space .
While Hiroshimator said all thats needed, i would like to add i personally thought i was being particularily helpful. First giving you a better understanding of the ball park your looking to get into, and then a stuctured start to get your running on both feet. If you would stop attacking us for the replies you recieve and read what is being said should realize there is an amaizing amount of information and good advice being handed your way. Advice that was given in good faith. Furthermore, If all you want is quick and ez and no need to understand why such that you can blindly start 'coding'. Then i could have simply given you a walk thu of how to 'fdisk' your hard drive to uselessness and convinced you that your actually preparing your hard drive for MASM, and feeding you some dumb line like:
"you need to prepare your hard drive for multiple complilations from MASM, by resetting the F.A.T. table to include the MASM's byte alignment of 32 bytes per F.A.T entry, here how:"
Luckily, this is certianly beneath everyone on this message board, which is why the information you recieve is true and honest. So PLEASE respect the advice your given, there is a good reason for everything said. aNaNoyed...
Posted on 2001-06-05 21:52:00 by NaN
describe STEP BY STEP how to get masm32 to run where i can write code , run it & experiment . how to use IDE or prostart ? thanks for all the directions you have pointed to . is there some way i could get around API & just programm simple like just using the hardware drivers ? i want to over view all of the options for assembly language . isint there a way to not use an operating system ?
Posted on 2001-06-05 22:32:00 by steverowe5@aol.com
boy, did you read tutorial 1? if you have qedit, then you're well on your way. i'm new here and i have no problem setting up the tutorial. you just have to read the stuff carefully. by the way, if you're new to asm, don't bother about drivers and sh*t like that. i'm new too, and i don't care what's out there except assembly of course. :D This message was edited by NOP, on 6/5/2001 10:42:00 PM
Posted on 2001-06-05 22:40:00 by NOP
i'm not quite sure how to start my first program. ge if you only treated me like bradechris .describe STEP BY STEP how to get masm32 to run where i can write code , run it & experiment . how to use IDE or prostart ? im not attacking im just serious and direct . i thought those were good logical characteristics .
Posted on 2001-06-05 22:49:00 by steverowe5@aol.com
where do i get a complete list of API , DMA ,IRQ etc.hopfully with graphics,sound,modem,etc. subroutines or APIs or whatever .describe STEP BY STEP how to get masm32 to run where i can write code , run it .
Posted on 2001-06-05 22:59:00 by steverowe5@aol.com