I'm using WinRoute (Lite) which is a NAT you can use to share internet among other computers in the local network. Winroute has an option that when set, blocks all ports (except the one it uses itself of course). The internet sharing works fine then, but you cannot run any servers (on any computer) because the ports are blocked. Now when I disable this option, I can run servers again but strangely the internet sharing didn't work. After a long time I figured out it had to do with my provider. My provider blocks all ports ranging from 0 to 1024. WinRoute has a DNS server (port 53 UDP), and I noticed this DNS server didn't work when the ports where open. I think, but I'm not sure of this, that when the ports are not blocked by winroute, my provider somehow has influence on the local DNS server. When the ports are blocked by winroute, my provider cannot influence the DNS server anymore. Well that's my theory, but it was confirmed when I patched the bind in winroute, from ip=ADDR_ANY to ip=192.168.0.1. This makes sure the DNS server will only run on my local network. This solved all problems, internet sharing worked, regardless of the state of the block-setting. Does anyone know why this happens, i.e. how my provider can have that influence on local servers? Thomas P.S. I've run into another problem now, as the local network consists of two computers, when one is off, the network doesn't exist and the patched bind fails. :( This means restarting winroute manually when the other comp switches on. This message was edited by Thomas, on 6/6/2001 4:15:05 AM
Posted on 2001-06-06 04:08:00 by Thomas
Thomas, What order are your DNS servers set to in your network settings? if it's:- I.S.P This it might fail because your ISP is unaware if your local network (obviously) When the ports are blocked, the ISP DNS is not available so the DNS lookup will head to your local one and the network is fine. When the ports are open, it heads to the ISP and won't find your local network..... I think this is how the problem could occur, but to really diagnose it, get a good network analyzer (something like TDIMon from www.sysinternals.com - it's free) and see what is going on when these connections are being made. umbongo This message was edited by umbongo, on 6/6/2001 6:57:37 AM
Posted on 2001-06-06 06:55:00 by umbongo