Well, awhile back I ask people what they would think about some visual tutors, alot of you thought it was a good idea, well to help us make these tutors and make them right we made a short tutor to kinda show about how we want to go about making such a thing. we want in the future to make even more advanced tutors starting with the basic's and getting more advanced, before we do this we would like some connments, after all these tut's should be well done. so look at this one then come back here and comment on what you liked or did not like about it, or any suggestions on what you would like to have seen from it. again thank you from Zcoder. Download StackLesson 2.8MG This message was edited by Zcoder, on 6/10/2001 5:18:22 PM
Posted on 2001-06-10 17:15:00 by Zcoder
this download times out on me :confused: I'm on a fairly fast ADSL connection also some of our members are on slow paying connections still and 2.8 MB is quite a lot to download :-/
Posted on 2001-06-10 17:47:00 by Hiroshimator

Zcoder, I have a better suggest, it might sound odd, but it's the
 best way you can get it across most people with slow connection.

FLASH. Yes, WAVE is just too big. My little brother whose learning
 flash. (Visual tutor, where it talk and shows you how to do things.
 and it's VERY SMALL in SiZE!!!)

format is: *.mov

Posted on 2001-06-10 18:54:00 by disease_2000
Hi Zcoder, I look forward to this tutorial it sounds like an important experience. I downloaded the whole thing in six or seven minutes without trouble but I cant run. I tried two times to start program from start menu and both times get GPF. I use win 98. Any ideas? best regards, czDrillard
Posted on 2001-06-10 19:19:00 by czDrillard
well I just have been able to download it. A little word of advice: having to use my task manager to close it == bad in my opinion. the rest seems OK although the use of VB (I presume) and the wav files will make it heavy. Especially if you're going for larger subjects. The concept is nice but the realization here will be too heavy to be very usefull I think. Flash would seem to be a viable alternative.
Posted on 2001-06-10 19:33:00 by Hiroshimator
No problem with download.But It does not run on my computer,win95.just blank page.Thanks.
Posted on 2001-06-10 20:56:00 by a nada
Hi, against all other replies I have to report good things. 1. I am using ISDN (64K) and the whole package took me 3 minutes without any download-accelarator. 2. It runs without any probs on my computer. I have a PI 150 running Win98SE but there is no error when executing. 3. Even though I am German and I learned English in school only I am able to understand most of the spoken things (99%). 4. Continue with such great work man. Ohh and maybe take a look at Flash. :D Stefan
Posted on 2001-06-11 05:57:00 by Stefan Krause
*.mov is Quicktime *.swf is Flash
Posted on 2001-06-11 12:01:00 by Torch
Okay all, just talking about Flash and how great it could be is (at least in my opinion) not enough :D Therefore I took my Flash Version and recreated the visual tutor in flash. I compiled it into an EXE file (the projector!!) and it has a size of 790 KB. Zipped it only takes up 680 KB. Maybe you want to download it here I think this proves the superiority of Flash ;) Stefan
Posted on 2001-06-11 17:56:00 by Stefan Krause
Stefan, where does the picture of your?/the desktop come from?...why is that in there? It seems to run real slow on the computer here at work. Should run better at home. Great work! I image a Learn Assembly Language Basics CD with 100 lessons in flash. :) This message was edited by bitRAKE, on 6/11/2001 6:27:33 PM
Posted on 2001-06-11 18:22:00 by bitRAKE
just to prove flash's superiority :D Mario Bros :D
Posted on 2001-06-11 19:20:00 by Hiroshimator
Sure flash is pretty neat... but can you download flash tutors? (I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't know.) Maybe the answer lies in a viewer with small downloadable tuts. Kinda like tkc's cracking tuts, although hopefully with better quality tuts (no offense tkc). And if size is really that important, then vb is probably not the answer. I'm on a slooowww dialup, but I'll never complain about a big d/l as long as the tutorial is of good quality. It's all about establishing a comfy middle zone between quality and size I suppose. But if you can't download flash files for offline viewing than flash really isn't a viable alternative. I'd much rather spend an hour or two d/l'ing a great big overblown vb tutorial than having to sit online sitting through an entire flash tut waiting for that one part that I had a question about. ...just my $.02
Posted on 2001-06-11 22:35:00 by 4oh4
I am the one that wrote this Tutor in the first place and for some people to say some of the things that they are saying would be alot easier to except if they would just answer their e-mail that I have sent to them in inquirey to some of the problems with it! I was expecting prolems as I like most people am not a (professional) programmer!!! I do really apriciate those of you who have taken the TIME and CURTOUSY to answer my e-mail that I sent to you asking more in depth questions about what you had problems with, But if I don't know what to fix with it I can't begin to fix the problem and just plain complaining about the program and not getting involved and actually replying is not in the least fair or just at all ! After all isn't this the main idea of the program in the first place is to place the information out so that the majority of the new commers to the language will be more able to grasp the concepts and ideas presented in a better light then if they were to just read a book and only digest parts of the whole contents! I was expecting alot of problems with the program as I new that it has alot of work to be done with it yet, I was mearley atempting to present it to get an idea of what the majority of the programmers had in mind for a series of these Tutorials.
Posted on 2001-06-12 03:14:00 by Z8CODER
Stefan, where does the picture of your?/the desktop come from?...why is that in there?
Hehe, I have to admit that I don't know why it is in there. I didn't really design the visual tutor, I just followed Zcoders great "show", took some snaps and afterwards recreated it in Flash. I didn't intend to insert my name or my own imagination somewhere as this wouldn't be fair towards Zcoder who had the big work to put al this together.
Sure flash is pretty neat... but can you download flash tutors? (I'm not being sarcastic, I really don't know.)
What is the problem there? Did you try the flash version at all? First of all I have put it into a ZIP File so Download is more then easy :D And then, when you open the ZIP, you will see an EXE File which contains the FlashVideo. You won't even need a special viewer for this. Just run and enjoy while being offline. Of course one can include the Flash template (the video before being compiled) into the ZIP File as well. And for the several tuts: You can insert all those in one Video or create a video for every tut, and make a starting page from where you start the single tuts. However, it is Zcoders decision what and how happens to the tuts. @Zcoder I got your mail yesterday evening and created the flash video all night (I am not familiar with Flash anymore), and when I tried to send it to you via E-Mail I had to see that I couldn't reach my E-Mail server :( so I thought it would be okay to upload the file onto my server and offer it here. I will send you some things about Flash (hopefully) today. If it is not okay that I created the flash version then tell me and I will kill it immediately. Stefan
Posted on 2001-06-12 03:45:00 by Stefan Krause
Stefan, I had no idea that you could compile the flash files into an executable file. I took a quick look at it and it may just be my old system, but the only complaint that I have is that it seems to run slow. Like there seems to be really long pauses between segments. This isn't really a complaint, more like an observation I guess. Anyways, good work to both Zcoder and Stefan. We're all here to widen our knowledge, and developing/designing new tutorials is definitely a good thing no matter how you look at it.
Posted on 2001-06-12 11:06:00 by 4oh4
Well done Stephan I am well impressed with your version of my tutorial ! I am very interested in this Flash technology that you have used in this demo of it. send more information Please! Z8CODER
Posted on 2001-06-12 11:24:00 by Z8CODER
Stefan Krause, Verywell done, Flash looks like it might be the right choice, I would very much like to look into all methods, as you know, it would seem that with the use of flash some tut's could be longer as well. and being self contained into an exe is just the right thing. at least it ran on my system without installing anything else, was that true with other systems???? a job well done, and I will look into it even more.
Posted on 2001-06-12 12:09:00 by Zcoder
Zcoder Thanks for your reply. I re insalled the exe file in another HD with win98. It works fine.Sure it will add to what I have learned. Again Thanks.
Posted on 2001-06-12 17:42:00 by a nada
Just to let ye know, if you download the 30 trial of macromedia flash 5 you a program called flash player which will play *.swf files. Its a small neat little program that gives you more control over the movie because you can resize however you like. Just in case your intrested.
Posted on 2001-06-12 18:47:00 by Zadkiel