Is it hard to find jobs programming in assembler, and where might I start to look for some? Thanks.
Posted on 2001-06-18 04:52:00 by AsmDude
I wish I worked as an Assembly programmer. Unfortunately, it seems that there are more opportunities for C/C++/Java programmers. You can try the BIOS companies (like AMI or PHOENIX) or the graphic cards manufacturers like NVIDIA. Good luck ! This message was edited by karim, on 6/18/2001 7:17:11 AM
Posted on 2001-06-18 06:18:00 by karim
The jobs for asm programmers are usually very low-level like coding device drivers. But nowadays win2k/NT/98 drivers are developed with C so I think there is less demand for asm programmers.
Posted on 2001-06-18 06:19:00 by Iczelion
Console developers use assembly a bit (or so I've heard). The Gameboy, and Gameboy colour both were programmed in pure asm (I think), not sure if the same is true for the Gameboy advance... Also there are usually a couple of guys who know asm for the bigger consoles (dev kits sometimes just won't do what you want, or at least dont do it fast enough)! Mirno
Posted on 2001-06-18 06:35:00 by Mirno
I do some assembly programming in my job for what you would call an 'embeded processor,' basically little computers that make the big thing run. But that's only part of the effort, first I have to design the computer and the whole product. I imagine a larger company would have seperate people/departments for this.
Posted on 2001-06-18 19:28:00 by Ernie

game development (specially for console) needs assembly progra-
 mmers :)

soon or later, i guess there will be less asm job. i hope you -
 choose asm because you love asm, not $$$$$.

Posted on 2001-06-19 01:48:00 by disease_2000
Yeah, I'm gonna be starting college this fall. I'm taking Computer (or maybe Software) Engineering. Almost everything we will be doing will be in C or C++. We might be doing a little ASM, but probally not on an x86 machine. My 2,
Posted on 2001-06-19 01:59:00 by *unknown*
In the college course I was going to do they thought visual C and Java programming. However canditates were required to take an extra module, French, Greman, Spanish, Italian or assembly. Guess thats how far removed they consider it from mainstream computer programming so they threw it in with the forign languages.
Posted on 2001-06-19 05:32:00 by Zadkiel