I am flattered by the interest in this question, many thanks for all your input. To understand this better, perhaps I should step back a bit and explain why I am counting bits. I am writing an anti-aliasing filter for text that must be very fast and have supercharged versions written in mmx and sse including a Pentium 4 version. The reason I have to antialias text is that I am drawing all the characters by hand using Beziers, and render all the text directly, without using the Windows text functions. At some point during the text creation process, which is happenning rapidly and repeatedly, the drawn characters must be run through the anti-alias filter to straighten out all the kinks from pixel boundaries. The approach I have taken to do this is to render text to a buffer that is four times wider and four times higher, than the desired text and to output this to a one color monochrome bitmap. Therefore to deliver sharp clear text, all I have to do is count how many bits are set in a 4X4 block of pixels in the source bitmap and use the resulting value to lookup a greyscale index to set the pixel of the destination bitmap. The result is antialiased text and I will put up a URL later if someone wants to see the model. Here below is the full source code for the anti-alias filter which is just one procedure. Please feel free to use it if it is of use. Just quickly before I sign out, as I mentioned in my last note I just have a feeling that there is a technique I am missing that could count bits faster. Any gains in speed I find here will bring substantial gains to the speed of the entire software so this is a very good place to look for optimisation possibilities. Once again, thank you very much for all the input and suggestions. This is very helpful and appreciated. Source code follows.

AntiAliasCharacter16	proc uses esi edi ebx ecx edx NumRows:DWord,NumPixelBytes:DWord
 ;antialiasing filter takes a 16X scale mono bitmap (1 bit per pixel)
 ;and scales it down to 1:1 and converts it to 24 bit RGB bitmap
		LOCAL SrcPixX		:DWord
		LOCAL Pix[32]			:DWord
		LOCAL Mem32[8]		:DWord
		LOCAL hDC			:DWord

.if !IdentityPage
			mov edi,PaintDIB.pBits
		.else
			invoke GetDC,hWnd
			mov hDC,eax
			invoke CreateDIBSect,hDC,addr TempDIB,600,800
			invoke CreateSolidBrush,PaperColor;0e0e0e0h;
			invoke SelectObject,TempDIB.hDC,eax
			push eax
			invoke PatBlt,TempDIB.hDC,0,0,600,800,PATCOPY
			pop eax
			invoke SelectObject,TempDIB.hDC,eax
			invoke DeleteObject,eax
			invoke ReleaseDC,hWnd,hDC
			mov edi,TempDIB.pBits
		.endif
		mov esi,ScaleDIB.pBits

mov eax,NumPixelBytes
	  	shr eax,1
		mov SrcPixX,eax
		mov ebx,NumRows
		DESTROW:
			push ebx
			push ecx
		 	push esi
			mov ebx,NumPixelBytes
 		  	shr ebx,3
			DESTPIXEL:
			 	  push ebx
					mov eax,SrcPixX
				   	  mov ecx,
					.if ecx==0ffffffffh; && eax==0ffffffffh
						mov ebx,eax

mov edx,
						  shl ebx,1
						 .if edx==0ffffffffh
						     add ebx,eax
							add ebx,esi

mov ecx,
							.if ecx==0ffffffffh
							  ;	add eax,ebx
								mov edx,
								.if edx==0ffffffffh
									jmp SKIPPIXEL
								.endif
							.endif
						.endif
					.endif
				  push esi
				  push edi
				  lea edi,Pix
				  mov ecx,8
				  xor eax,eax
				  mov ebx,4
				  rep stosd
					lea edi,Pix
                     NEXTPIXELPROCESS:
                         push ebx
                         add edi,32
                         mov ebx,8   
                         mov eax,
                         NEXTNIBBLE:
                           test ebx,ebx
                           mov ecx,eax
                         jz ENDNIBBLE
                           and ecx,1
                           shr eax,1
                           mov edx,ecx
						   dec ebx
                           mov ecx,eax
                           and ecx,1
                           shr eax,1
                           add edx,ecx
Posted on 2001-06-27 00:58:00 by chris
I have only noticed one pattern : when the nibble has an even number of bit set to 1, the least significant bit of the bit count is 1. For example : 0000 0000 ; even number of bit set to 1, last bit is 0 0001 0001 ; odd number of bit set to one, last bit is 1 0010 0001 ; same thing 0011 0010 ; even number of bit set to 1, last bit is 0 So you can set the last bit of the result with a test and a conditional mov :

movzx  eax, nibble
xor    ebx, ebx
mov    ecx, 1
test   eax, eax
cmovp  ebx, ecx
Now there are only two bit left :-) Do you know Karnaugh's table ? It's a technique used to find simplifications in boolean formula. In this case, the table for the 2nd bit is :

00  01 11 10
00  0   0   1  0
01  0   1   1  1
11  1   1   0  1
10  0   1   1  1
The next step is to group the 1's by packet of 2,4 or 8. I've made the Karnaugh's table for these two bits, but I couldn't to find any simplifications. This message was edited by karim, on 6/28/2001 4:33:54 AM
Posted on 2001-06-27 15:29:00 by karim
The other thread kind of got mixed up. :) Using the mmx version of the AMD algo:

mmMask_55: dq 05555555555555555h
mmMask_33: dq 03333333333333333h

movq mm1,mm0
psrlq mm0,1 ;shift by q,d,w is same result
pand mm0, mmMask_55
psubq mm1,mm0 ;bit pairs are the sums

movq mm0,mm1
psrlq mm1,2
pand mm0,mmMask_33
pand mm1,mmMask_33
paddb mm0,mm1 ;nibbles are the sums
...is fairly easy, but then the sums have to be split out and then combined with three other nibble sums and then 16 dwords of RGBA data needs to be wrote to a buffer. :) I'll have the whole thing in mmx...(before too long, :crosses fingers: ) Wasn't mmx made for this kind of thing? What is the algo for the gray scale conversion? I'd be best to do this in mmx, too. And maybe combine this with another image while the data is in the mmx regs. This message was edited by bitRAKE, on 6/29/2001 1:44:14 AM
Posted on 2001-06-29 01:36:00 by bitRAKE
Thanks again for the great response, this has really been helpful. In answer to the question about greyscale. For the greyscale conversion I have a lookup table of 17 shades of grey. Adding up the bits in the 4X4 pixel group in the monochrome bitmap gives me the index to lookup the greyscale value. It works perfectly.
Posted on 2001-07-02 14:19:00 by Chris
Chris, is there a way to do the greyscale conversion algorithmically? What is your table? Is it a linear range between 255-0? I'd like to do this without the memory access in MMX (ie no table). This should be really fast! This message was edited by bitRAKE, on 7/2/2001 10:50:03 PM
Posted on 2001-07-02 22:45:00 by bitRAKE