the topic has been discussed a lot, but once again I wonder myself what it all means... I tell my linker to reserve 1MB stack and to commit 4K for my exe. OK. I read in the win docu:
By default, each thread uses 1 MB of reserved memory, and one page of committed memory. The system will commit one page blocks from the reserved stack memory as needed, until the stack cannot grow any father.
OK. I use a large local, or push more than 4K -> page guard access violation exception -> not OK! What for should the 1 MB be, if I absolutly cannot access it? When does windows commit some more? Maybe I must call an API function ("CommitStack" or something)??
Posted on 2001-07-02 13:04:00 by beaster
well let me explain it to you Windows uses a Flat memory model with PAGEING ... this means that memory is managed in chunks called pages..it so happens a page=4K... this is done for all memory that windows uses...now you sure dont have 2Gigabytes of RAM on your machine, do you? (if you have i will be jalouse :D ) Whenever a virtual page is accesed OS (actually microprocessor) searces the page in "the pagefile" ..IF the page is not found then a page violation trap is generate and the OS goes for that page either from RAM or from HDD(slow)... This is the BIG picture (details are a little more complicated) Now back to the Stack... for some reason the Win OS belives that stack can only grow 4K at a time, so if it detects a request for page 3 from your stack BEFORE a request for page 1 was ever done...pooof Access Violation ERROR...but if you go less... say 2k at a time SKY is the limit....(or 1M whatever is bigger) botom line either use objects that are smaller then 4K on the stack or... ;) prealocate the stack pages by first accessing a series of 2K objects ;) but face it: haveing large (>4K) objects on the stack its dubitable :P This message was edited by BogdanOntanu, on 7/2/2001 6:36:40 PM
Posted on 2001-07-02 18:33:00 by BogdanOntanu
beaster, Bogdan has explained how the stack works, simplest approach is to use the /STACK options with the reserve and commit parameters and make sure that the minimum you set is large enough to handle the local variables you use. Some of the memory measuring programs are a bit misleading in what they report and the way to test it is to run a large number of programs that have a known stack size set and then have a look at the reported memory usage globally. What you will find in 9x systems is that you don't get the same stack size multiplied by the number of programs running so the memory is not being wasted. Regards, hutch@pbq.com.au
Posted on 2001-07-02 20:16:00 by hutch--
At the lowest level of memory allocation (VirtualAlloc), allocated memory has two states: reserved and committed. Committed memory is usable memory, but it comes at a price: it can be paged out to the HDD, wasting time and reducing the HDD space. Reserved memory is unusable, but it prevents fragmentation, which allows (relatively) efficient stack management.
Posted on 2001-07-03 00:08:00 by tank
Hmm. I changed my local array (yes I can do it without locals, but I like to understand this) from:

mov	eax, dwChars
	imul	eax, sizeof GLYPH_DATA       (= 24)
	sub	esp, eax
	mov	lpxGlyphs, esp

to:

mov	ecx, dwChars
Stacky:	sub	esp, sizeof GLYPH_DATA
	loop	Stacky
	mov	lpxGlyphs, esp

But still the same result (exception). Then I tried (I get more tricky :) ):

xor	eax, eax
	mov	ecx, dwChars
Stacky:	push	eax
	push	eax
	push	eax
	push	eax
	push	eax
	loop	Stacky
	mov	lpxGlyphs, esp
But again an exception. I think, with this variations I do not skip over more than one page.
Posted on 2001-07-03 05:57:00 by beaster
If sizeof GLYPH_DATA is 24, then shouldn't there be another push? (Not that this will solve your problem - just an observation. ;)
Posted on 2001-07-03 10:41:00 by bitRAKE
Hi, Beaster (kisses to Miracle if still there). I have tested this problem too: With a StackMin set at 0_1000h and a StackMax set at 0_10_0000h: > hexprint esp ; > 063FE3C > mov eax esp > > mov ecx 0_2_0000 ; (020000h > 080000 Bytes) >L0: push eax | loop L0< > > hexprint esp ; > 5BFE3C (063FE3C-080000) > > mov esp eax > > Hexprint esp ; OK This doesn't hang (SpAsm, you guess). Maybe you could verify this: Would you check that the Linker have done his job? You load your PE in an Hexa Editor, put the cursor on 'PE', go down 6 lines. Just there is StackMax dWord and StackMin dWord. Are they want you expect? betov.
Posted on 2001-07-03 13:01:00 by Betov