Hi All, I got my version of a splitter bar to work... but I'm a little annoyed at myself because I can't get it to work the way I think it should... thus breaking the fourth pillar of assembly programming (understanding). 1) For the time being I'm not using a dialog script 2) My mental model goes... register the splitter window & register the main window create the main window in the WM_CREATE create the splitter... which is performed before CreateWindowEx gets back but after the winclassex structure is created?? 3) Unfortunately, the only way I can get it to work is... register the splitter window & register the main window create the main window use WM_CREATE to create OTHER child windows then create splitter bar windows after creation of main window I'm missing an important point here. Stripped down module follows

.model flat,stdcall
option casemap:none

include \masm32\include\windows.inc
include \masm32\include\user32.inc
include \masm32\include\kernel32.inc

includelib \masm32\lib\user32.lib
includelib \masm32\lib\kernel32.lib

;###################################################################################

.DATA
    ;=============================================================================
    ;Main window class
    hInstance  HINSTANCE   ?
    hwnd       HWND        ?
    wcApp      DB   "Get the damn splitter to work!",0
    wcClass    DB   "WinClass",0
    wcData     WNDCLASSEX {SIZEOF WNDCLASSEX, CS_HREDRAW or CS_VREDRAW,\
                           OFFSET WndProc, NULL, NULL, ?, ?, ?,\
                           COLOR_APPWORKSPACE, NULL, OFFSET wcClass, ?}

;Splitter windows
    hSplit0    HWND ?
    hSplit1    HWND ?
    hSplit2    HWND ?
    splitClass DB   "SplitClass",0
    splitData  WNDCLASSEX {SIZEOF WNDCLASSEX, NULL, OFFSET SplitProc, NULL, NULL,\
                           ?, NULL, ?, COLOR_BTNTEXT, NULL,\
                           OFFSET splitClass, NULL}

.DATA?
    msg MSG         <>

;###################################################################################

.CODE
Start:
    invoke GetModuleHandle, NULL
    mov    hInstance, eax

mov    eax, hInstance
    mov    splitData.hInstance, eax
    invoke LoadCursor, NULL, IDC_SIZEWE       ; <--> cursor
    mov    splitData.hCursor, eax
    invoke RegisterClassEx, ADDR splitData

mov    eax, hInstance
    mov    wcData.hInstance, eax
    invoke LoadIcon, NULL, IDI_APPLICATION
    mov    wcData.hIcon, eax
    mov    wcData.hIconSm, eax
    invoke LoadCursor, NULL, IDC_ARROW
    mov    wcData.hCursor, eax
    invoke RegisterClassEx, ADDR wcData

invoke CreateWindowEx, WS_EX_CLIENTEDGE, ADDR wcClass, ADDR wcApp,\
        WS_OVERLAPPEDWINDOW, CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT,\
        CW_USEDEFAULT, CW_USEDEFAULT, NULL, NULL, hInstance, NULL
    mov    hwnd, eax
    invoke ShowWindow, hwnd, SW_MAXIMIZE
    ;;invoke UpdateWindow, hwnd

;===================================================================
    ;Why do I have to move this code up to the main flow?
         invoke CreateWindowEx, NULL, ADDR splitClass, NULL,\
            WS_VISIBLE or WS_CHILD, 100, 100, 2, 200,\
            hwnd, NULL, hInstance, NULL
        mov    hSplit0, eax
    ;===============================================================
    .WHILE TRUE
        invoke GetMessage, ADDR msg, NULL, 0, 0
        .BREAK .IF (!eax)
        invoke TranslateMessage, ADDR msg
        invoke DispatchMessage,  ADDR msg
    .ENDW

mov    eax, msg.wParam
    invoke ExitProcess, eax

WndProc PROC hW
Posted on 2001-07-03 12:32:00 by rafe
I made this same mistake once and it can be really annoying as everything looks correct but the child window just never appears??? The answer is a simple typo.
WndProc PROC hWnd:HWND, uMsg:UINT, wParam:WPARAM, lParam:LPARAM

.IF uMsg == WM_CREATE
    ;Why do I have to move this code up?
         ;;invoke CreateWindowEx, NULL, ADDR splitClass, NULL,\
            ;;WS_VISIBLE or WS_CHILD, 100, 100, 2, 200,\
            ;;hwnd, NULL, hInstance, NULL
        ;;mov    hSplit0, eax

.ELSEIF uMsg == WM_DESTROY
        invoke PostQuitMessage, NULL

.ELSE
        invoke DefWindowProc, hWnd, uMsg, wParam, lParam
        ret
    .ENDIF
    xor eax, eax
    ret
WndProc ENDP
WndProc PROC hWnd:HWND <--- Notice Case Sensitive (hWnd) And in CreateWindowEx... ;;invoke CreateWindowEx, NULL, ADDR splitClass, NULL,\ ;;WS_VISIBLE or WS_CHILD, 100, 100, 2, 200,\ ;;hwnd, NULL, hInstance, NULL ;;mov hSplit0, eax Just change hwnd - To - hWnd (Remember it is case sensitive) This mistake nearly drove me crazy as everything appears correct but it just won't work! Willie
Posted on 2001-07-03 12:59:00 by WillASM
WillASM Thank you! I've been staring at the obvious... Changed the code so many times to test & retest & I missed the obvious... it's dutifully grabbing the handle I told it to, like a good little assembler should. I WON'T be making that mistake again (I hope). It's was a Bozo typo. Good, because then my understanding is in line. This leads me to the next question... hWnd <> hwnd... mmm... what is the handle being passed to the WndProc in hWnd? Time to go back to the API reference. Thanks again. This message was edited by rafe, on 7/3/2001 1:25:25 PM This message was edited by rafe, on 7/3/2001 1:28:28 PM
Posted on 2001-07-03 13:23:00 by rafe
There's a big fat duh on that second post Just in case this may (i doubt it) help some one else Aside from efficiency concerns there are at least two situations where using the global handles to your object won't work. 1) when the hanle variable hasn't been updated yet... like in the WM_CREATE event that happens before CreateWindowEx procedure gets back. So, to answer my own question, the local hWnd equals what the global hwnd will equal in a few more instuctions 2) particularly for child contols that use the same set up... (here it's splitters) i'm using the local hWnd to ID which splitter sent the message. now on to more interesting things.
Posted on 2001-07-05 11:20:00 by rafe