I'm looking for a partner to help work on a project. Its called mIDE, and its planned to have an mIRC-style MDI interface (MDI, and a button bar to choose windows, i feel this is a neet alternative to tabs). There is a skeleton right now (well, no toolbars, but the MDI interface and the Output window are there). It will be provided up interest. The buttonbar and what-not will be added to the skeleton as the days pass. This is NOT an attempt at a RAD development environment, it is merely an attempt to privde a good editor (which is what one really needs), along with convenient controls, an output window (which i really wish i had while using qeditor ;)) and nmake/makeit.bat compatibility. Of course anything goes, these are just my ideas, so if someone feels like helping, I feel it would be a great learning experience for me.

Thanks if you read this far!
Karl
Posted on 2001-07-22 15:21:15 by karl
Oh, and mIDE stands for "masm IDE" ;)
Posted on 2001-07-22 15:22:04 by karl
Maybe you could post (on your website) what you have done so far, and invite contributions. A good editor for masm 6 would be quite a nice thing. Masm 5 (for dos and early windows and OS/2) had an editor M.EXE which I really admired and still sometimes use. The hotkeys for all the many editing functions are all user-setable by means of an ini file called tools.ini. If you know what I mean by "streamarg", that is also a useful feature. With one key you can _save_ and compile the program (which may be asm, C, QuickBasic, Pascal, ...) and, if there are errors, it goes straight to each one with the corresponding error message. It has pattern-matching search and replace, both forward and backward in the file. A real "programmer's program".
Good luck.
Posted on 2001-07-30 12:36:42 by Larry
Another option would be to design an IDE with plugins. Then different people could code different pieces, or even adapt existing code until a more thurough solution comes along. This really requires a great deal of planning to do well.
Posted on 2001-07-30 16:12:11 by bitRAKE
Cool idea. I've thought of plug-in's many, many times but i have no idea how all that works ;) Know of some doc's on that sort of thing? Making extendable programs sure isnt an easy subject! Thanks so much for your opinions guys!:alright:
Posted on 2001-07-31 12:59:09 by karl