hey im working on a telnet server and was wondering if there was anyway to emulate a matrix-like screen on the serverside
so the screen will be black with green writing and the text from the telnet will get sent every letter typed if anyone has any help for this please email me xillwillx@yahoo.com
Posted on 2002-02-02 00:51:20 by illwill
hey im working on a telnet server and was wondering if there was anyway to emulate a matrix-like screen on the serverside

Umm, you are missing one very important point: nothing is visible on the server during a telnet session.....
Posted on 2002-02-02 14:14:22 by sluggy
true but the reason for it is if i want to communicate with someone on the server side i need this feature

if anyone knows how to paint a full black form to the screen with text entries being added as type i.e. each letter pless post some code
Posted on 2002-02-02 14:59:30 by illwill
Illwill,
with all due respect -- I think you need to work some of this out on your own. This site is used to help programmers solve problems, in assmebly language, that arise in the development stage of software, OS, decive driver design, etc.. This means that you should come to this site with a question or an idea that you want help in creating -- not in a call for source code.

What I recommend is:

1) write out a brief synopsis of what your program will do.
2) create an outline of how it will function
ex: what commands wil the client (telnet program) send to the server rogram to make it function...
3) Figure out which .dll/.lib/.inc files you may need to use (winsock tutorials are all over the internet and can be found in the "Networking Forum"
4) Then start to design the program
5) if a specific program occurs along the way (such as you get a flick effect from calls to WM_PAINT or to learn how to draw text) then first pull out the windows api help files (found on the internet or icz's web site) and try to find the solution yourself...

If you can't find the answer than I or anyone else on this site would be glad to help you in a much less overwhleming degree...

I hope this helps a little...

cheers,
Sliver
Posted on 2002-02-02 17:19:05 by Sliver
well im as not well versed in coding as most of you and i learn from looking at others codes thats why i ask for it... allsi want is a step in the right direction to my question not to be shot down by all the "elite" coders half of which have their heads up their ass
Posted on 2002-02-02 17:47:41 by illwill

well im as not well versed in coding as most of you and i learn from looking at others codes thats why i ask for it... allsi want is a step in the right direction to my question not to be shot down by all the "elite" coders half of which have their heads up their ass

Hmmm, before a flame war starts......
We understand the fact that you may not be a good coder, dozens of newbies stop by here all the time. However, you definately won't get your question answered by pissing off the regulars in here.

Before you start this project, i recommend one thing: research telnet and the telnet standards. Then you will see that what you want to do is not related to telnet at all, if you want a telnet server to pop up a screen then you need to write the telnet server yourself, not just the client. And i would recommend writing the server in ANSI C, then you can compile it on any platform. What you want to do is more related to desktop-sharing than telnet. So, sort out exactly what you want to do, and post questions here when you have a specific problem.
Posted on 2002-02-02 17:56:58 by sluggy
its a server im making but in asm i dont know ansi coding .. yes desktop sharing is sort of like it .. i just want to be able to connect to the server with telnet so i dont need a client to communicate with it .. but as far as the matrix thing i just dont know how to fill the screen dark and staert writing text
Posted on 2002-02-02 19:34:39 by illwill
Afternoon, illwill.

Which control are you going to use for displaying the text?
If you're going to use a List box, then look up the listbox info for LB_ADDSTRING.
If you're going to use an Edit box, then look up the editbox info for EM_REPLACESEL.

Or, just look up DrawText.
How far have you got with your server? Can you connect to it, and send info yet?

Cheers,
Scronty
Posted on 2002-02-03 00:01:08 by Scronty
It seems like what your trying to do is very involved. Are you saying that you would interface with the desktop through a text console style telnet session? Sounds cool but too much like ascii art hell to me.
Posted on 2002-02-03 00:12:57 by rdaneel
A combined telnet server and matrix screensaver? :rolleyes:
Oh, and you're coding a telnet server... but don't know how to create
a full black screen and write text to it? Perhaps I'm a "elite coder
with my head up my ass", but I think perhaps you should try coding
something a bit simpler... and perhaps in another language.

As for full black screen, some clues on ONE way of doing it...
set hbrBackground of your wc to GetStockObject(BLACK_BRUSH).
GetWindowRect with GetDesktopWindow as the first parameter.
WS_POPUP | WS_VISIBLE as window style.
Posted on 2002-02-03 16:29:57 by f0dder
well basically alls i wanna do is turn the screen black and have a blicking dos like cursor in green text so i can send text to the blkack screen as it types... yes i can do the coding in another language like vb but i hate it cuz the use of dll's so far the commands i can send are a msg box and to open and close the cd player... download from url is almost complete i thought just adding a matrix like screen would be kewl
Posted on 2002-02-04 17:05:58 by illwill
this sounds more like a trojan / annoyance app than a telnet server...
Posted on 2002-02-04 17:10:26 by f0dder
I still can't figure out what your talking about. I agree with fodder, it sounds like some kind of screensaver/troj*n badware.
Posted on 2002-02-05 09:58:26 by rdaneel
any program can be conidored badware .. a program is only as bad as the person using it
Posted on 2002-02-07 00:23:13 by illwill
Would you consider a word processor as badware? of course not so it isn't any program that can be badware. There are just some programs that were A> Indented to be used for bad things and B> only realy have such a use
Posted on 2002-02-07 00:35:17 by Quantum
IllWill,

What you are after is no big deal to do, the method I would use is the one Scronty suggested, append each line to the end of an edit control, you have both COLOUR and FONT control that way so it should look like you want.

A few other things, spare us the nonsense about what a programs usage will be. There will be NO illegal stuff here, no matter what.

The second thing is REMOVE the signoff message or it will be removed for you.

Third, don't slag off the members here or you will get the shove yourself.

This is a friendly forum, we intend to keep it this way.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-07 07:32:28 by hutch--
>yes i can do the coding in another language like vb but i hate it

VB is no programming language.
Posted on 2002-02-07 07:42:00 by bazik

so the screen will be black with green writing and the text from the telnet will get sent every letter typed if anyone has any help for this please email me xillwillx@yahoo.com

i don't think you need to programming skills to do this. what you need is an ANSI screen editor like TheDraw 4.63. it has to be animated screen and not like the regular static ANSIs. edit it, then save it as *.ANS and when done, let you telnet server use this as the welcome screen. as to how to edit ansi's, i have no clue except to search for 'bbs' and 'ansi' on google.
Posted on 2002-02-07 10:41:40 by bundat