Just for the record I'm repeating what this forum is for: the posting and scrutinizing of your own code and algorithms. It's not for: "I need to do xxx, anyone have some code?" The other sections are for that. (that's why we try to make them more specific.). Also most of the questions of that nature I read have already been answered in them and your curiosity would've been satisfied with a simple search ;)

As I understood it when this was requested and created, it's a place for the more advanced asm programmers to look for improvements, compare ways to optimize,etc..

I'm sure you understand what I mean to tell :)

So that's why I move threads like "how do I...? :-/" et co. to their respective forums. It would be in everybody's interest however if you'd just post in the correct forums. So thx in advance :)

-H-
Posted on 2002-02-06 13:35:04 by Hiroshimator
Hiroshimators idea here is a good one in that it keeps this forum for what it was originally intended for, a place where algorithms can be beaten to death until they are fast enough to crack atoms.

If you have an algo that you have up and going and you would like to post it for other people to use or play with, post it here as there is some real talent floating around here who ENJOY battering algorithms to death.

Now the first thing is that you should not be offended when one of the member disembowels it, reduces its size and increases its speed, thats what this forum is for.

Also don't be afraid of criticism, if its well mannered technical criticism, it will help you, if its bad mannered personal criticism, the furry paw of fearless leader will perform some extremely efficient optimisation on their membership. :grin:

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-06 17:14:05 by hutch--
Perhaps we should have a "I need help with my string routine" forum? *g*
Seen a lot of those posts lately. But keep it coming, we were all
there once I guess. As long as you do a little work on your own :).
Posted on 2002-02-06 18:51:33 by f0dder
I was thinking of suggesting this earlier, but now seems like a good time.

A moderator controlled FAQ.

When a mod sees a 'good to know that' kind of question with a good answer, add it to the FAQ.

It is extra work for the mods however, but removes any excuse for people asking "how do I do X?" for the umpteenth time.

Not a perfect solution, just a suggestion.
Posted on 2002-02-06 19:20:03 by ThoughtCriminal
People should just learn to hit the "search" button instead. And
learn to pick their search keywords well. This will work in most cases.
Of course there are topics where the word would pop up too many
times, but... *shrugs*.
Posted on 2002-02-06 19:23:52 by f0dder
I'm with f0dder here - I use the search function myself all the time! The whole board is a FAQ database - just sort the posts by views. ;) I have a good memory when I'm sober, and try to link posts to pervious content, and that should help to create so much cohesion between threads of thought, that even a hard to search for topic should be easy to find. If you don't know the question is when your in trouble. :grin:
Posted on 2002-02-06 20:35:05 by bitRAKE
Unfortunately I never seem to know the correct question :( .I don?t think that allot of beginners do. Usually in order to perform a decent search you have to know the correct terminology. I like the FAQ idea allot. But am still too ignorant of Win32Asm to be of much help.
Posted on 2002-02-07 14:55:40 by emonk
A good thing might be just a collection of links (I belive Fooder and BitRAKE -- correct spelling finally -- as well as myself and others have posted links to especially useful threads and websites).

I'm with fodder in that the "how do I search 2 strings" problem is getting out of hand recently :)

many people don't understand the basic ideas of:
Registers
Adressing
Optimisation
String Instructions (seriously needs help)
The Stack
Moving Data
Shifting and Rolling
FPU math
and Arithmetic and Logical Operations

It's all good pointing them to a thread with source code or a link to icz's, but that same person will come back when he can't get the program to compile or when he finds that the source doesn't do "exactly what I want" type of thing...

I've seen, on the web, these topics covered -- but there is a way to put this all together in a complete form like AOA except updated? Or maybe the concept of the "HOWTO:" threads could be expanded itself?

I just don't like being seen as a bad guy for having to point out google and the search button (because when I first started posting... everyone was very gracious to answer my inane questions :) All of who I owe so much... I just wish there was an easy answer...

Sliver
Posted on 2002-02-07 18:42:29 by Sliver
The only thing I am wary of here is the situation that a programmer who is new to assembler faces when they are trying to do something that they just don't know how to do.

Its easy to say "Go search for it" but where they are faced with terminology, technology and references that are difficult for them with their experience level, its much the same as saying, "Go find the answer yourself".

I have tried to address some of these problems in the ASMINTRO.HLP file and some have even commented that they used it but it seems that not all that many have read it, even though I have it on the help menu in the editor in MASM32.

It would be a mistake for this forum to shift to being a lazy "elitist" forum, even though you can get a bit tired of seeing similar questions being asked repeatedly but its worth keeping in mind that for the person asking the question, it can be a complex task where they do need help.

I suggest tolerance here and assistance where possible, it may be handy to refer the person who makes the post to an existing thread but I would still be inclined to help them with their question if possible.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-08 20:45:23 by hutch--
I'm with Steve here.
I haven't been always a programmer, most of my life - musician.
And for the first time I was almost fully supressed by complexity of something that now seems to an obvious and clear.
I'me for tolerance with beginners.
But I must say something to make it absolutly clear:
In this section I'm all against giving recepies without explonations
and understanding.
I'm ready to share knowlege, but for those who wish to learn and understand and not those who just searching for ready to use solution and don't even bother to try understand how it works.
I'm not against those people, but I have no will to waste my time for them.
For the rest of people who realy wish to learn and understand I do all I can even if they as dumb as I am :)
Posted on 2002-02-08 21:23:25 by The Svin
true &very hard policy that's what you need :-)
Posted on 2002-02-18 11:05:09 by me8
I recomment FAQ. Faq moderator can be more specific, clear and maby even fix some sample codes. General idea is make more quality answers than this msg board.
Posted on 2002-03-01 19:34:55 by Torak
I recommend an increase in the size of the search button ;) (maybe they do not see it)
Posted on 2002-05-06 21:00:14 by CodeLover

I recommend an increase in the size of the search button ;) (maybe they do not see it)

I agree. I didn't see it at first.
Posted on 2002-05-11 03:59:26 by AmkG

I agree. I didn't see it at first.
Posted on 2002-05-11 04:39:47 by bazik
Hey BaZik... I pressed your button, nothing happened...:(

:grin: :grin: :grin:
Posted on 2002-05-11 05:17:49 by AmkG
AmkG
you might be joking but I really did click on it ....
I'm very tired ... I think ..
later everyone
Posted on 2002-05-11 18:02:02 by code1101