Hi
I would like if someone can help me here.I am follwing Iscelion tuts but how do i setup or configure masm so that
the code can be assembled and linked.I am usin qeditor for my code or examples but verytime when i want to assemble the code it gives me an error message can't locate file

Please help
Posted on 2002-02-06 16:42:08 by cornel
Probably just adding ALL of the paths to the required binaries like ML and LINK and the files you are assembling would do the job but all this is done for you in MASM32 so it may be worth you downloading it and installing it so you can work on the code instead of trying to work out how to set it all up.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-06 16:55:48 by hutch--
what operating system are you using?
Posted on 2002-02-06 17:23:01 by smurf
If you are using qeditor, I would imagine you already have MASM32 -- or is there some other way to get it besides as part of the MASM32vx.zip download?

Setting up qeditor so that code can be assembled and linked: in order for qeditor to locate files, you may need to tell it where the files are. There are several files or directories that you can inform qeditor about.

One way you can tell queditor where to look for things is by selecting File from the main menu, then selecting set current directory and then choosing your directory from the tree that will be displayed.

From how.htm, in the main directory,

To avoid the problems associated with picking up the wrong link versions and wrong library directory, MASM32 works with specified paths to all of the binary files it needs to build the files.

In the source code, the paths to the library files are specified and in the batch files that are used by the editor to drive the build options, the paths of each binary file is specified as well.

It looks to me as if it is possible to change these specifications. I'd guess this can be done by choosing Tools > Change Editor Settings. This should bring up an ini file editor that allows you to change which batch files will be used when any menu selection is made. Plus, you could bring up the batch files themselves, edit the paths to the library files that are listed in the batch files, and then save the batch files. So that you don't lose the original batch files, I'd suggest saving under a new name, and then effecting a reassignment of which batch file to use, with Tools > Change Editor Settings.
Posted on 2002-02-06 20:13:43 by verb
I'd suggest asking someone else, not me, how to use the "Microsoft Windows ini Editor" that comes up, when you select Tools > Change Editor Settings. It looks to me like the old fashioned method of exiting qeditor, then bringing up the ini file in another text editor, editing it and saving it, then reloading qeditor -- might be easier than using the ini editor.

I'd also suggest making a backup copy or "old" or "original" copy of the ini file (qeditor.ini), before changing it.

Then if you can't figure out how to edit the ini file properly, -- you can at least revert to the original ini file.
Posted on 2002-02-06 20:18:12 by verb
Actually there should be no problems when using the dedicated INI editor that come with qeditor.exe, it was written to do the INI modifications either by itself or being called directly from qeditor.

The info on how to use it is in the qeditor.hlp file.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-06 20:25:12 by hutch--
Hmmm... there is also an ini file named pths.ini. It looks important.

I can't find any documentation on how to use the Microsoft Windows ini editor, or what to write in ini file. Ah, there is some, but it is in the main help file for quick editor (qeditor.exe), instead of being accessible from the ini editor itself.
Posted on 2002-02-06 20:33:52 by verb
Unfortunately the doc for the ini editor, in the main help file for quick editor, doesn't tel you how to edit the ini file to get the right batch files to run, when you click on the appropreate quick editor menu choices. However I think you ca figure it out just by finding the names of the batch files.

To make the batch files run the correct exe file to do assemble or do whatever portion of the build you want to do, it shouldn't be hard to edit the batch files, espically if you are familiar with dos batch scripts and dos commands. You will have to know the correct filenames and options and whatever, to put after the exe files you use to assemble, or compile or build etcetera.

Once you get the ini file and the batch files set up -- then assembling and building should be a lot quicker and easier than doing it from the dos command line every time.
Posted on 2002-02-06 20:51:09 by verb
Hmm, I just saw hutch's remark above, about the ini file being modified by what you do with qeditor, or by the ini editor automaticaly.
Posted on 2002-02-06 21:00:15 by verb
Of course, it is conceivable that cornel may be simply typing in a wrong filename somewhere -- and then no amount of fiddling with queditor to locate the correct assembler executable and linker executable, will help him solve his problem. I can't tell you how many times in my computer-keyboard life I've typed in a wrong filename, or the same wrong name over and over -- before I realized i'd keyed i a wrong letter, or transposed a couple of letters.
Posted on 2002-02-06 21:07:14 by verb
Also, if you unzip the masm32 zip file and execute the single file, the install file, that is extracted from the zip file -- the assembler and linker should be accessible from qeditor without changing anything; as hutch said several times: nothing needs to be set up or configured.

However because you asked, I described how to set up and configure queditor; though actually you asked how to set up and configure "masm." With masm itself, however, there is really nothing to set up and configure.

I suppose it may be something else rather than a problem with setup and configuration of qeditor, that accounts for why you are getting a "can't locate file" error. Might you have changed something about the set up and config of queditor, after installing it?
Posted on 2002-02-06 21:44:53 by verb

[...]
MASM32 is not intended as a programming beginners package, it is squarely aimed at experienced programmers who are familiar... [...]

Why does this sentence from www.movsd.com always come in my mind when I read such a posting? :tongue:
Posted on 2002-02-07 01:27:56 by bazik
I think Cornel also needs to be made aware that if he has been working on any of the files associated w/ his pgm, he needs to close them before trying to 'build' his .EXE. If any of the files needed have not been closed, you will get the 'file not found' error msg.
Posted on 2002-02-07 08:33:22 by DaveTX47