Hello to everyone.I am trying to learn assembly but i feel rather confused.There are many assemblers out there and i don't know which one to choose.I recently downloaded the ArtOfAssembly
and the HLA files needed(masm,link...)The problem is that i already know Pascal and i dont want to sit and learn a high level assembly language.I want to get started immediately with asm instructions.And what about documentation?...i would like some info on this matter too.
I know that this question has been asked probably a thousand times to you but i would really appreciate any positive feedback.
Tell me your opinions please.How should i get started?
Posted on 2002-02-14 17:16:43 by funkdollar
Go with MASM for starters. It has far more support, both here and in general. You can download the MASM32 package from hutch's site. It has a ton of samples to get you started. There is also a bunch of documentation available for it. When you know what's going on, then you may wish to play with the other assemblers.

http://www.movsd.com/

:)
Posted on 2002-02-14 17:27:17 by S/390
If you are starting completely from scratch in assembler, get Randy Hyde's old 16 bit AOA and read the early chapters to get the swing of how to use the basic instructions.

When you are happy with that, go to the MASM32 forum here to get the URL and download MASM32 version 7. You will need to get the old windows help file, WIN32.HLP, if you already have it, the MSDN CDs are useful and for assembler instructions, get the 3 volume Intel manual set, they are the best available.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-14 17:28:01 by hutch--
Do people actually use the HLA from the AoA book or is it just something for me to unlearn? I did like the chapters on the registers and the stuff about how the computer works and then when I got into the coding I had this disgusting feeling that there was still mysterious stuff going on, I don't want to go through the whole book and still not be able to read someone else's code.

If anyone knows a decent book that doesn't try funny stuff I'm willing to shell out some cash. I saw the book Assembly Language Programming (3rd Edition) by William B. Jones on Amazon.com and it looked like it might be decent, if anyone has looked at this title before let me know what you think of it, it's $70.

I'd like something that doesn't start out by skipping the basics of asm but assumes I know something about programming, and maybe will serve as a decent reference for some time. I'm afraid of the books that have 1984 publishing dates but I've got the feeling it really hasn't changed a whole lot in the last few years.

BTW, what is assembly for VOX?

Thanks in advance.
Posted on 2002-02-15 01:35:33 by WebSnozz
snozz,

don't waste your money on out of date DOS code books. 32 bit assembler is reasonably leading edge and none of the books that are current will help you there.

Keep shovelling threough Randy Hyde's AOA for the basics then try MASM32, it has a lot of stuff in it to help on the way.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-15 02:00:57 by hutch--
Steve, there is a good book "Inner Loops". It's about 32 bit asm
programming.
I saw some chapters and liked it.
But couldn't find it in Russia.
Posted on 2002-02-15 02:03:59 by The Svin
Thanks Alex,

Link is below, I don't know if its still in print or if its up to date but it loks interesting stuff.

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homepages/rbooth/

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-02-15 04:16:55 by hutch--