Hi,

Once I zero-wrote the hard disk on my computer.

After resetting, the computer checked the floppy drive for a disk (which was empty) and wrote something like - no operating disk - to the display.

How would I go about putting a programme on a floppy which would run at this point?

Would it be feasible to access the video hardware from this position?

I'd quite like to programme my PC like a games console...

Thanks,

S.
Posted on 2002-03-06 13:23:29 by Station
Download my OS preview or check MenuetOS.org for one allready fully working...

My OS will be more like a game oriented indeed :)

there are a lot of boot demos on the net... also you can use VESA to setup video board resolution after boot, but IMHO you should go for ring0 protected mode because of addressing mode...

problem is:you (hehe me also) should do drivers for just about every hardware on the market...and sadly there are very little standards/information after the boot ...

But then again if its game console you want DirectX is a much easyer solution

PS
=====
I my OS ever crashes once is done .... it is my fault, but it will never crash!
Posted on 2002-03-06 17:01:16 by BogdanOntanu
Wow, that's impressive.

How much experience do you think somebody needs in order to do something like this?

Also, maybe you could help me understand ASM a bit better here...

What is to stop a programme compiled to x86 machine code from running on any operating system if it doesn't make any reference to OS functions e.g. MessageBoxA from Windows?

Thanks.
Posted on 2002-03-06 18:21:48 by Station
I guess this will stop him:

1. any absolute address reference

2. any diffrent microprocesor mode Ring0/Ring3 and priviledged/unpriviledged opcodes, pagetables etc

3. any default assumptions like stack size, memory layout

What can a app do if it doese not comunicate with the external world ...increment a counter? and what will it help to...you have to get data, in compute it, and get results/actions out or else the app is useless

All user interaction and hardware/IO devices interaction is provided by the OS ...

Besides only OS's try to work without no other help (well with a little help from BIOS and hardware)

ALL other programms are so deeply integrated with the OS (think at the GUI,API, input output operations, file handles etc) that converting them from one OS from the other is allmost like redoing them...

True that the core of the application (esp on the algorithms side) might not change or change slightly but all the rest of an application is OS integrated... and it looks today that the GUI/looks are more important than the contents for commercial reasons of course :(

I wish for a OS that could prevent that but i do not know how... else but using a virtual machine or an interpretor...but that in no more X86... its FORTH,JAVA or BASIC :) and its way to slow sometimes

To answer the other Question, i do not know how much it will take others i only know how much it took me: a split second or my whole life it dosent matter i have allways learned what i like and i am still learning.

The rough process of writting that demo took 3-4 weekends i remember starting when Scali told me i can not do a better windows than MS Windows... well i belive i can ... i only lack the money and the hardware info (again money) and i am only one person writting code in my spare time...

Sure i will help you with what i can that is why i post in this forum :)
Posted on 2002-03-07 02:27:42 by BogdanOntanu
Ya... I had fun trying to come up with a uniform design for the DynatOS DynaBoot (MBR) and DynaLoad (logical partition boot sector)... the best I could come up with for the MBR allows you to use text-mode if you only want to use the MBR... if you have DynatOS installed... you then have the option for a graphical boot (like LILO.) As for the DynaLoad... it parses system availibilities (LBA... no LBA... etc...) and loads the Core Kernel appropriately.
Posted on 2002-03-07 02:33:34 by SpooK
Hi again,

You write -

'ALL other programms are so deeply integrated with the OS (think at the GUI,API, input output operations, file handles etc) that converting them from one OS from the other is allmost like redoing them...'

There are standard interfaces to things like video cards and joysticks (i.e. DirectX) why not have a standard interface to the operating system?

All operating systems could have a similar set of functions which do important operations and the implementation of these functions is left to the vendor of the OS.

S.
Posted on 2002-03-07 11:07:15 by Station