Ok I've read a lot and learned a little. I know how to use The API refference. And how to use API's. I ordered microsoft's SDK cause every one said I needed it (and because the CD will arrive faster, even by usps, then i could have downloaded it :) ) so Hopefully when it gets here I will be able to find the information I need on my own. Problem with this situation is that anything I can do with API's any other program can (and probably half a dozen do) do the same thing. Where can I find information on writeing programs that actually do something (other then call one api and pass the results on to another?)
For example instead of calling CreateWindowEx what do I have to do, to draw to a portion of the screen? thats just an example, so I don't want code to do it, I want to learn how to develop the code to do it.

ps Please dont tell me a book to buy (unless you know where I can get it cheap) :) Im on a shostring here. As in I streached the limit to get SDK lol I would already have gotten one except they are all around ooohhh $250 - $400
Posted on 2002-03-23 16:44:50 by dionysus
You mean like, you want to add your own API, for example, on how to manually move a window? I think you can't, that is part of the windows code that M$ isn't sharing :(. Me too, I have the same idea on coding my own API (GetDlgItemFloat) - I want to manually get the floating point value in an edit box, interact with it...

The info your going to get from PSDK is the whole windows API, structures, constants...Not only that, it contains a lot of info about the whole windows thing...
Posted on 2002-03-23 16:53:18 by stryker
AFAIK, in Windows, if you want to do this stuff (after all, this *is* about Win32ASM programming) you could re-write the stuff in the DLLs (prolly not a good idea) or you could write your own OS (prolly not too bad of an idea ;).

but with Windows, you're in a multi-process environment and you'll need to work with other processes peacefully (unless, of course, you're a mean programmer - jks :)

Windows basically controls the I/O while you're in it, so if you're not using CreateWindowEx and you want to draw to the screen, for example, you'd still have to call some APIs belonging to DirectX, for example (though i don't do too much graphics programming in Windows, anyway). Windows won't allow you to write to the graphics card directly. For example, you can't call SVGA functions, for example, like:
mov ax,4f02h
mov bx,4020h

at least not in Win2K. you can, from the original Win 95 (i only have Win95 and 2K... don't know about 98 or the Plus!95 or anything like that)

of course, that's all AFAIK.
Posted on 2002-03-23 16:55:52 by jademtech
The trick is with windows API functions is to get some idea of the range and type of functions available. I would recommend getting the WIN32.HLP file as its broken up in categories like DISK IO, WINDOW DISPLAY, MEMORY FUNCTIONS etc ....

This way you get to understand the mechanics of how the particular operating system works. Much of this stuff cannot be done another way as it is part of the OS design but this is not a problem, learn the hack API stuff so its easy enough to do then you can start being creative with what you do and how you do it.

The SDK is later and has more info in it but in the short term, WIN32.HLP is faster and easier to use for API based code.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-03-23 19:27:37 by hutch--
Originally posted by hutch--
The SDK is later and has more info in it but in the short term, WIN32.HLP is faster and easier to use for API based code.

haha... if only i had found this community earlier, i'd have saved a lot of bloodshed! well, okay, maybe not blood, but at least grief! i muddled my way through for the longest time.
Posted on 2002-03-23 19:33:10 by jademtech
thanks for the replies guys. I guess I didn't phrase my post right. Hutches post I tink showed me who to clarify. I want to know how to write NON API BASED code. Instead of calling and an API do it myself. Not necesarily completely abandon API's but not be so dependant on them.
Posted on 2002-03-23 22:12:13 by dionysus
Pretty much the same response as before, learn the range of low level system based code that you must use then write the rest yourself. If you are writing in Windows, you are stuck with a reasonable amount of system based code but anything else you can do your own way.

To have any more freedom, you are basically writing your own operating system and some of our members already do that.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-03-23 22:45:30 by hutch--
Has anybody tried making ring-0 code and then writing say, directly to video memory or even utilize SVGA videocard functions?
Posted on 2004-10-01 21:56:59 by Al_Leitch
I would only do that in my own os, and not on windows.
Posted on 2004-10-01 23:05:14 by roticv