Hello everyone. Right now, im writing a simple BASIC compiler, which is coming along great so far. I am using NASM to assemble and ALINK to link. Currently, im about at the point where I want to add some basic Windows commands to the language. The only problem is that there are very few resources about Windows programmin in NASM, but I've seen loads of them in MASM. So my question is, with MASM, is it legal for me to distribute the assembler and linker along with my compiler? Thanks.
Posted on 2002-03-28 22:35:22 by dirkduck
That is a curious point, one I personally have avoided by having actually purchased MASM while it was still a seperate product of Microsoft. I got the books too, so it was well worth my 50 bucks.

Hutch is clear to point out in his MASM32 package that parts are covered by a licence from Microsoft. The copy of MASM.exe, LINK.exe, and probably some other exeacutables are freely downloadable (or have been in the past) from Mircosoft's own website. Hutch has included the licences the download packages contained (you may read them in their entirity in the
masm32\licence folder).

This begs the question is it legal to freely give away a program that another entity has given you for free. Hutch has openly posted this package on his website, many others have links there (not the least of which is this message board), and just about any search engine will turn him up first try. My guess (I'm an engineer, not a lawer) is that since MASM32 is so visible, someone at Microsoft has to have noticed us here (hi guys!).

Since no one has heard anything officially from Redmond, then at worst we simpoly amuse them, certainly we don't annoy them to the point of simply issuing a single 'cease and desist' email.

So, if you redistribute only the components that hutch has, copy the licence, and actually encourage your users to observe this licence, you will have no trouble from Microsoft.
Posted on 2002-03-28 23:24:14 by Ernie
Just exercise some caution when you use any binary file that belongs to someone else. What makes MASM32 possible is the licencing agreement that came with a number of releases directly from Microsoft.

MASM32 is fully licenced freeware and it cannot be bought or sold which ensures that it fully complies with the licence agreements from Microsoft. Numerous other binary files in MASM32 are licenced in similar ways and the factor in common is that any of the files in MASM32 can be used by any programmer free of charge and with no commercial dependence whatsoever.

What you will need to do is very carefully read the Microsoft EULA and make sure that your usage fully complies with it. If you are attempting to make a commercial product, you will need to buy licence to use it and that is if it is for sale.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-03-29 00:21:52 by hutch--
Thanks for the info both of you!
Posted on 2002-03-29 00:31:12 by dirkduck
This is a bit irrelevant, but I believe noone can prove that a certain PE was compiled and linked using ml.exe & link.exe, especially if you remove the linker version from the PE header. Other compilers (C, VB, Delphi) may store in the executable a lot of info about the development machine and the tools used. Am I correct ?
Posted on 2002-03-29 01:12:20 by micmic
This begs the question is it legal to freely give away a program that another entity has given you for free. Hutch has openly posted this package on his website, many others have links there (not the least of which is this message board), and just about any search engine will turn him up first try. My guess (I'm an engineer, not a lawer) is that since MASM32 is so visible, someone at Microsoft has to have noticed us here
Really?
PRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRR :tongue:
*FART*
ooops..
*BURP*
Doh!!! :grin:

Since no one has heard anything officially from Redmond, then at worst we simpoly amuse them, certainly we don't annoy them to the point of simply issuing a single 'cease and desist' email.
Just got that email :grin:
Posted on 2002-03-29 04:55:22 by Maverick
Have have emailed M$ asking about MASM assembler and documentation, and have never recieved any response at all. I think they are waiting until it is worth their effort to come after me. :)
Posted on 2002-03-29 09:56:56 by bitRAKE
Maverick,

Post the e-mail and explain what was happening.

Enjoy your work, P1
Posted on 2002-03-29 12:02:00 by Pone

Maverick,

Post the e-mail and explain what was happening.

Enjoy your work, P1
Was just a joke.. :)
Posted on 2002-03-29 17:50:52 by Maverick
I believe noone can prove that a certain PE was compiled and linked using ml.exe & link.exe

Be that as it may, that wasn't the question

So my question is, with MASM, is it legal for me to distribute the assembler and linker along with my compiler?

This reminds me of my mother's favorite cake, that being recipy cake. You make recipy cake by mixing together the recipies of your favorite dishes.

Certain combinations of recipies in sans serrif fonts added a most curious nutty flavor.
Posted on 2002-03-29 21:02:04 by Ernie
"This reminds me of my mother's favorite cake, that being recipy cake. You make recipy cake by mixing together the recipies of your favorite dishes. "

How insightful of you Earnie ;)
Posted on 2002-03-29 21:40:19 by dirkduck