Are old 586 systems good for programming? I think it could be good if we test asm code on old systems first to say that the code would work on new systems fast and efficiently. What do you say?;)
Posted on 2002-06-16 08:46:10 by Wonder Mage
Mage,

If you are targetting older systems, its a good idea to test on them as code written for later machines often runs badly on an old machine.

Just keep in mind that optimisations for old boxes are often slower on a later box because of the hardware differences.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-06-16 08:48:38 by hutch--
I current compile asm code on old systems so i could be able to say with confidense that the code would work more fast and good on new machines. is it correct?:rolleyes:
Posted on 2002-06-16 08:51:03 by Wonder Mage
Yes and NO, if its small and runs OK on an old box, it should run OK on a later one but there are things in optimisation that are done better on later boxes because the hardware is different.

Regards,

hutch@movsd.com
Posted on 2002-06-16 09:00:53 by hutch--
Unless you're willing to go through the trouble of optimizing for different systems (new and old) and selecting the correct code for each system at init-time. This IMO is the best thing to do but of course it might be moot anyway, who uses old systems for serious work?? Everyone likes using newer systems.

Okay, you probably do use an old system for serious work, but many people have a 'new is better' mentality and it's often better to go along with them.
Posted on 2002-06-17 04:45:12 by AmkG
I am on a project known as Memory Gutter XP. I always compile it on pentium mmx 233 mhz and it is very fast on that machine. I can say it would also work perfectly on pentium 4+ with mmx and other capabilities. I have not test this prog. yet so far on latest mahchines. You could access it from the website: http://www.geocities.com/tushu_aror/index.html from the downloads section Memory Gutter XP. if you want. It is still in beta stage. This prog. was made with masm32. It still has very much bugs needed to be fixed. I also want to ask which will be the perfect system Athlon XP or Pentium 4+?:)
Posted on 2002-06-17 07:29:59 by Wonder Mage