hi,
i'm gonna lead a programming club in my school. of course I'll do win32asm. what would be the best way for them to start?
i first thought of basic asm instructions (mov, add, inc, aso.)
then really start programming under windows. in a way, like iczelion does in his tutorials.

perhaps you can gimme some hints? i want to combine that stuff with a lot of fun.

cya,
NOP-erator
Posted on 2001-08-16 09:43:26 by NOP-erator
Maybe, you could create a windows skeleton program for them to do graphics routines in. They just have to write the code that puts values into a memory buffer and it's pasted to a window. It's always good to get a visual feedback of what your doing. Then migrate into a competition of graphics demos using the skeleton. Wish I could be in your club! :) Maybe I am too old. :) I could use some lessons in German. :)
Posted on 2001-08-16 18:19:15 by bitRAKE
I'm with Bitrake on this one. Visual feedback is the best in this case.

I'm not sure what you want to use for your 'test-bed'. Mine uses DX windowed mode. I can just write to a buffer and call a filp proc. Maybe GDI would be better. If you can, provide them with a line draw routine, maybe an image blit, and image loader. Things to let them use the language with visible results quickly. Later they can look at how the routines work.

For the beginners you will need to cover the basic instruction set, and the event-based nature of windows.
Posted on 2001-08-16 20:29:04 by ThoughtCriminal
find the nearest bar and count all beers you hose in binary :tongue:

that should give you a firm headstart :grin:
Posted on 2001-08-16 23:15:25 by Hiroshimator
Scratch my idea, I'm with Hiro - this all looks clearer through a few pints. :grin:
Posted on 2001-08-17 00:33:26 by bitRAKE
thanks to all ya. that idea with this competition is really good! that would motivate them to get better....

bitRake: you can always ask me if you need to know something in german....

cya
Posted on 2001-08-17 10:23:24 by NOP-erator