Hi,

1>How can we load our own icons, for a dialog box?(by default ,no icons are loaded to the dialog box)
2>How can we prevent hooks from getting installed?(i.e how to prevent local as well as global hooks form getting activated?)
3>Once we install our hooks, can we prevent other programs from installing their local (& ,or) global hooks?
4> I had enquired about magic folder algo, & i was told that it can be implemented using VXDs. But will it work when we boot to DOS prompt?(I mean ,the folder's will be accessible from DOS prompt, if we just boot to DOS )

tanks in adv.
Bye
Posted on 2003-01-05 10:51:37 by ajith
Ok, I'll try to answer...

2/3. IIRC not without API hooking. With windows hooks newer hooks will be called first so you can't stop them. If you want to block API hooking, I don't think that's possible.
4. No, DOS doesn't load VXD's.

1 is probably very easy, but I don't use dialog boxes that much :)
Posted on 2003-01-05 10:56:58 by Qweerdy
Well, regarding 2&3, using api hooking you can always hook api's like SetWindowsHookEx and then monitor for hooks you don't want installed. But, you can only be sorta certain under 2k/xp, too many holes in 95/98 security for one to block hooks.

Fake
Posted on 2003-01-05 11:23:29 by Fake51
How can we load our own icons, for a dialog box?
invoke LoadIcon, hInstance, IDI_MAIN_ICON

mov hMainIcon,
invoke SendMessage, hDlg, WM_SETICON, ICON_BIG, hMainIcon

For small icon (16x16) use ICON_SMALL
Posted on 2003-01-06 04:23:22 by Four-F
Hi,
thanks for the reply.
But Q 2,3 went unanswered. Why most of my post's are either sensored or taken to a dead end?
Posted on 2003-01-11 11:41:49 by ajith
Originally posted by ajith
But Q 2,3 went unanswered.

The best answer is "you can't". There will always be ways to hook APIs. You could detect code modification in your .exe, or check if the first byte of an API function has changed to 0xCC (usually means a breakpoint has been placed there) but there will always be ways around it.

Why most of my post's are either sensored or taken to a dead end?

Because more than once you (cross)posted stuff that isn't allowed on this board like cr*cking, disassembling. As for your other posts I think most of them have been handled quite well.
Question 2 & 3 aren't easy questions, there's not much you can do to prevent hooking.

Thomas
Posted on 2003-01-11 13:15:05 by Thomas